MMA First day tomorrow

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

...taking private lessons for MMA. Most of you know my regular curriculum, but it's usually Muay Thai, Grappling, or Boxing as seperate classes. We aren't doing as much "MMA" training together so I'm taking private lessons from another fighter in my gym.

What would be some things I should ask to work on, in your guys' opinions? I'm going to be training with him weekly for an hour, after Saturday's BJJ and Savate. And I'll be doing this for atleast the next 6 months... so any and all ideas that would be useful for the Cage/Ring would be good to hear. I'll bring them up with him and we can work it into our schedule. Right now we're just sort of playing it by ear, being our first session tomorrow.

2. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

Do you like to stand or roll?

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

How about worst case situations?

4. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

I'd work defensive alot. Sooner or later, you're going to end up on your back.

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Both. I'm working on my ground game much more lately but my strength is my Muay Thai.

I guess for today I'm just going to see what he wants to do, then figure our what I want from there. Takedowns, clinch, GnP, etc.

6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Good call.

"You are mounted getting pounded in the face, what are you going to do?" :eek3:

My wife is coming for her usual Saturday Savate and BJJ, so she's going to stay after and take some photos and video during the MMA. Maybe I'll post some video later if I figure out how to get it off my digital camera and online.

7. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

if your standup is strong then maybe takedown defense / ground game? :dunno: (i don't fight)

8. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

I would practice escaping from mount, defending a guillotine, and defending armbars for the first day.

9. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah, I'm sure we'll look at escapes from an MMA standpoint. But like I said, I do grapple 5 days a week, I have just done Muay Thai longer and I feel I'm stronger at it.

I think I'm going to focus on takedown defense, learning takedowns, and clinch and transition work. Transition from standing to the ground game and basically getting my ass back up if I feel I'm outmatched on the ground.

I ended up not staying today though. My buddy at the gym needed to get work done on his ears. Already had one surgury for cauli ear and it's coming back.

Any drills you guys have done that you would recommend? I was reading about one that sounded interesting. One guy wears MMA gloves for safetey, but he can ONLY grapple. The other guy wears 16oz boxing gloves and tries to defend the takedown, ground and pound, and when on his back try to reverse or escape to the feet.

10. Kuet

Kuet New Member

nice AV ...looks familiar....?

11. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

Thanks, It's Lee Van Cleef, "The Master"

12. Kuet

Kuet New Member

thats pimp