GUN First day of Fighting Pistol today

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JaimeZX, Jun 17, 2008.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

:cool:

I'm flarking tired though. Will write up an AAR on Wed or Thurs. :o

2. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

nice, how is the weather?

Im planning on booking flight within the next week to take a class in the fall.

3. JaimeZX

Hoo boy. Hot as heck. I think it hit 100 today. We're starting early tomorrow so we can finish earlier also. We had one older chubby dood fall out after lunch. He sat in Yeager's truck with the AC running all afternoon to keep cool.

Class is neat but it'd definately be more fun in cooler WX. Or even more clouds. :hs:

4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I wanted to do that class but I hadn't the monies. :(

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

yeah sounds like he should be taking fighting treadmill instead lulz

6. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

LOLS

I wonder if James gave him any shit.

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

It's always good to see someone prioritize training. I look forward to your full AAR.

8. JaimeZX

OK here's my review, cross-posted from getoffthex.com.

I also include pics of ME.

=====================================================
    First I’d like to start out with a few “thank yous.”

Thanks to Russ for sharing a great place to shoot with all of us. Also thanks for the character your cattle provided to the area.

Thanks to James and the whole instructional team for providing the best pistol instruction I’ve yet to experience.
    Of course, this was my first class not counting USAF M-9 qual so that may not be saying much, but they were fantastic nonetheless.

Thanks to Dave with XS for fixing my sights. Twice. More to follow on that later.

Oh. And thanks to all the Tactical Response guys for a few excellent pictures of me. Not sure why you didn’t start off
    the whole thread with them, but whatever. If you have MORE feel free to email them to me.

OK. So on to the review. I’ll try not to repeat too much of what was said before.

Google Maps and a GPS are fantastic tools for locating things. I wasn’t expecting the gate to be IMMEDIATELY
    past the railroad tracks. We blew by it at about 60.

My wife dropped me off and I rode down to the firing area with Kei. (sp?) This was when we discovered the aforementioned
    “character” provided by the cattle. The weather was still very nice at this point and I was happy. I’m pretty sure
    birds were chirping, and the gentle lowing of the cattle made the pastoral scene complete. Until the gunfire began, anyway.

The requisite safety brief was expected and passed without much ado.

We also went around and introduced ourselves. Seems like students were from all walks of life, from police officers
    to security guards to computer programmers to financial advisors, etc. When it was my turn to introduce myself I just
    said I was in the Air Force. As there were at least two Marines present (maybe more if somebody was in a dilly
    suit and I missed him) I figured this was sufficient to arouse any inter-service rivalry.

As y’all can see in the accompanying pictures, I wore my desert boots and DCU pants, for a couple of reasons.
    (1) The boots are comfortable and I knew we weren’t going to be on pavement or anything.
    (2) The DCU pants would keep the sun off of my legs but are made of lightweight fabric.
    (3) Based on previous reviews I knew we’d probably be on the ground for at least some of the drills and I wanted to
    protect my legs from other miscellaneous scratches. I also wore my Beltman belt, Tucker Answer holster, a borrowed
    belt mag pouch (Thanks again Dave!) two T-shirts, and a floppy hat I got at Academy sports a few years ago.
    The belt/holster rig is what I use for carrying, so I figured that was best for training as well. The only thing I was
    missing was the excellent mag pouches that my wife has been sewing into my pants pockets. Unfortunately she didn’t
    have time to do my DCU pants before the class.

The gun I brought was NOT the Colt 1911 I usually carry. That, unfortunately, is at EGW guns in PA.
    I’m sure James will laugh and swear at me but yes, it was having some reliability issues. FORTUNATELY my
    Belgian FN Hi-Power also fits in the 1911 holster. I wonder if the great JMB did that on purpose?

James refuses to bow down at the altar of John Moses Browning. I’d like to point out, however, that the only two
    issues I had with the gun were my own fault and the Hi-Power had zero malfunctions throughout the class.

We started out learning how to draw and MOVE. This was good. Although I’ve practiced drawing a lot at the range,
    being *personally* instructed in proper procedure by enthusiastic professionals really drove the point home.

At some point somebody asked if I had Captain’s bars on my floppy hat. I said I didn’t *think* so. But I let it slip that
    I was a Captain. So I went from being “F**king Jim” to “Captain.” I guess I was amused. I read in a previous review
    that if you have thin skin, this isn’t the program for you. And I guess I’d agree. Fortunately I have thick skin and
    I appreciated the hell out of the colorful language.

The dummy bullets (available on www.tacticalresponsegear.com ) James chucked at us were to be loaded
    into all magazines until further notice. Again, these are things I had intended to buy on my own but hadn’t gotten around to it.
    They REALLY made the training worthwhile! You can PLAN to practice tap-rack-bang but actually having to DO it again
    and again and again is invaluable. There was a later drill where we had to shoot and move around barrels at the same time.
    James said I did a good job running my pistol and that meant a lot coming from him.

The only issues I had with my Hi-Power, as I said earlier, were of my own doing. About three weeks prior to the class
    I installed a set of Big Dots. The rear sight was held in place by set screws and the front was *very* securely dovetailed in.
    I did not use any Loc-Tite because I figured the front was plenty tight already and the rear I had kept loose in case
    I needed to adjust it. I had intended to bring the Loc-Tite to class so I could set the rear sight once I had confirmed its
    correct position. Unfortunately I forgot it and about 300 rounds in the rear sight popped off. I finished the drill with
    just the front (no problem) and at the break Dave put it back on with the teensy allen wrench and plenty of Loc-Tite.
    About 200 rounds later, the front sight popped off! I was incredulous! That f**ker was tight as heck! James quickly
    brought me a Glock to use for the rest of the afternoon. Took me a while to find the Big Dot on the ground.
    I was starting to get worried! Anyway, at the end of the day Dave put the front sight back on, too. Wouldn’t you know
    in a hot gun that *tight* dovetail was so loose you could slide the Big Dot right through with little resistance?!
    Besides that, the weapon performed flawlessly.

So. Thanks again to James for the loaner Glock and to Dave for the free sight re-install!

To answer the main questions:
    WHO could benefit from this class? Anyone with a thick skin who wants to improve their ability to defend themselves
    and handle a pistol with more confidence. My wife was planning to attend a subsequent class because she just got her
    (not a Glock) XD. Too bad we didn’t check with James first, he said she should’ve gone to this one and would’ve done just fine.

WHAT did I learn? Expect to learn? See? Hear? What did everyone else use? What did I learn at dinner? Etc.
    What I learned could fill a book. Or at least a 30-odd page pamphlet. Wait, I think I Have one of those around here.
    I’m not really sure what expectations I had going in besides what some of the pictures showed and the expectation that
    I’d be a better “pistolero” coming home than I was going in. Most other people used Glocks and were happy with them.
    A few guys had 1911s there. I don’t know for certain
    how they all ran. James was never short for cracks about non-Glocks. A favorite of mine – “How do you know your pistol floats?
    Because it has wood and is shit.” Classic.
    James was also very kind to answer a variety of questions I had both at dinner and during the Q/A session at the end
    of the second day.
    What classes will I take next? I’d like to learn more from James so I’m inclined to do that. I’d like to try the Force-on-Force next,
    also probably Fighting Rifle, Fighting Shotgun, and maybe the Advanced Fighting Pistol.
    Aaaah, the wish list is much longer than the checking account.

WHERE do I come from and WHERE did I attend? – We drove out to Bastrop from Abilene, TX, which was just shy of a five-hour drive.
    Not too bad. And again, Russ’ farm was beautiful.

HOW did the gear work? I think all of my gear worked as advertised. Although I was wishing I had a cheaper
    (less expensive, not lower quality) gunbelt when we started doing one-handed racks on it. I still love my Answer holster
    but the little tab of leather at top kind of makes for more difficult one-handed reholstering as it tends to bend over a smidge.

WHEN did I hear about the class? Last fall; I think I first looked into the June Bastrop class in November of 2007.
    Didn’t occur to me that in June it’d be 100 dang degrees… Oh well. STILL glad I went!

I guess that’s about it. I’d like to reiterate the thanks I spewed out at the beginning of this write-up.

F**king Captain Jim
    =======================================================

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic was just cool as hell. This guy is a Marine.

[​IMG]

9. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I don't just put that loc tite in there to take up space in the package :hsugh:

10. JaimeZX

:rofl: I know dood. But I didn't think I was ready to do the rear, and the front was so damn tight when it went in that (a) I didn't want to drive it out again and (b) I figured it wasn't going anywhere. :p

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

12. BKhAH

BKhAH OT Supporter

I wanna go.

13. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

fucking awesome...

trying to find the perfect date to go there this fall...

14. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I knew you'd learn a lot. Thank you for going with an open mind.

If you want to learn more about yourself and how you act/react under stress, take Advanced Fighting Pistol and The Fight.

I don't teach The Fight any more but I'm sure whoever they have teaching it now will do a great job.

2 last things:
    - You need to practice what you learned in class until you own it.
    - Get a Glock 19.

15. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

You watch Battlestar Galactica, don't you? :mamoru:

16. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

... and he's shooting an H&K. Dude's a REAL OPERATOR.

Everybody else sucks and are hated.

17. JaimeZX

I do. But they say "frack." :uh:

18. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

:cool: writeup and pics

19. JaimeZX

More pics in the link at top of my review.