MIL First Day in Airman Leadership School

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jyokker, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

First class since Katrina. Most of the class is SSgts :mamoru:
    I think I am the lowest ranking person in the 41 member class. :)

Questions?
    EDIT:1
    End of week 1. Only 2 days long since class started WED and we have a down Friday.
    Day Of Training 1: Most of the morning was taken up by orientation briefings, and in-processing. There were 41 of us. We were broken down into three flights. They try to keep us diversified by job, background, race, and gender as much as possible. We stood up and did the “Hi, I am SrA Jyokker, I am from Panama City…” We took a grammar test to determine how our communication skills fared. Learned how to learn successfully, and took a pre-test for AETC’s statistical orgasm. There was a small amount of class discussion, mostly people telling stories that were boring.

DOT 2: ALS Course Foundation was the morning topic. Mostly non-testable stuff. In the afternoon the topic was Enlisted Force Structure based on AFI 36-2618. We discussed in depth roles and responsibilities of Airmen, NCOs, and SNCOs. We also discussed how reality lines up with AFI. Once that lesson was complete we then discussed Time Management. How to manage the important things in life, whether you are working at crisis level or at a convenient level. We then had an ice breaker sponsored by the First Sergeants Association and Top III out at the marina/e-club to wrap up the day.

Overall I enjoy the time in the class, the instructors make it interesting as possible.
    I want to choke two jackasses in my class. One is an instructor(not ALS instructor)and thinks he knows everything. He was talking about writing an EPR on his student and I was like :wtf:
    The other is a cop (CATM) that won’t shut up about his deployments. It wouldn’t be so bad if he could actually tell a story, or not embellish it to the point of disbelief.

EDIT 2:
    DOT 3:
    More Fit-to-Fight info, not so much on the physical aspect as so much the whole picture.
    AF communication, how the AF communicates within the ranks. Had to write an Memorandum
    Group discussion
    Personality profile. After taking the test three times, it appears I do not have a personality.

DOT 4:
    Air Force Culture. Current culture, dress and appearance, Drill and ceremonies, customs and courtesies.
    Went outside and performed drill. Yes, Drill. Hup- Tou-up Threy-up Faur-up
    Public speaking, and Narrative writing. For PT, we put up the flags on Larcher Street. They had not been up since Katrina.

DOT 5:
    Learned to write bullet statements! or the basics of them anyway.
    Group Dynamics. How does your behavior in a group affect the group? Is it your values or your behavior that affect the group?
    PT HELL. Former Marine in class thinks its fun to do 25 pull ups, 50 push ups, wheelbarrow races, bear walks, two person carry races, and fire team push ups. He for some reason is our PT leader. We did all of the above.

DOT 6:
    Thank God I had been working out weeks before Marine-PT-hell-day. I wasn't sore, but that wasn't the case for some of those folks who hadn't done PT since Katrina.
    First Uniform Inspection! I passed with no demerits with my regular uniform. I don't think it is right to get your special inspection uniform out on inspection days. You should have your junk squared away all the time.
    Reveille. Outside. Position of Attention. Gnats. OH GOD GNATS. I still have little gnat bites.
    Conflict Management. How do people deal with conflict? How do you as a supervisor deal with conflict with your troop? etc.
    Team development. The dynamics of a team. How a team is formed. What stages and needs of each stage a team goes through when assembled. Different roles and responsibilities of team members.
    Retreat. Outside. Position of Attention... UGH I hate gnats.

DOT 7:
    Interpersonal Communication. Types, uses, and theory.
    Problem solving. Way-too-in-depth problem solving skiznils.
    Maintaining Standards through Discipline. Theory of discipline and how standards interact and depend on each other.

Information has been omitted due to controlled materials.

YMMV

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  2. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

hows that feeling for ya right now? being the youngest staff there and all.

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I am pretty sure I was lost around 18% of my brain cells while in ALS.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  4. Jyokker

Its funny you post that, because our first test was on grammer and sentence structure.

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Sad part is the fact that I edited the post due to the mistakes and still got it wrong.

6. Jyokker

We got two jackasses that keep sucking up to whoever is behind the podium. One guy I want to choke.

:rofl: another guy was making fun of Koreans and their poor engrish. He said and I quote "They ain't know English any good." :rofl: another guy asked him "Do you realize you just said that?" I was thinking it but I'm not going to call anyone out on the first day:bowdown:

7. Jyokker

If there is interest in what goes on in ALS I will update this regularly with what we do in class. If not :fawk: I won't.
    Taking test compromise into consideration of course.

8. Ozner

Ozner Offical TSL OP Leghumper

updatess!!!!

9. SupraTFassa

SupraTFassa New Member

Are you at an In residence place where you have to live in the dorms or can you stay at your place? Ours here at Ellsworth requires us to live in the fucking dorms.

And please update all you can, Ill be there in a few weeks. :bigthumb:

10. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

I am interested I am hoping to go there pretty soon

11. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

What base?

12. evan2

evan2 Guest

ALS was prob one of my favorite moments in the AF
    Granted it comes with a bit of work it was so much fun, we had a 40 person class too which is small but man that shit was fun

i made a ton of good military friends there and all the parties
    plus we had some dope fun chicks in our class, too bad i was married

if you have any questions or need any advice i just went there in may...

13. Jyokker

Home for lunch, will update after class.
    Get to stay in my own house.
    Keesler AFB.

14. andymodem

andymodem Ambitious, but rubbish.

God, I have to do that soon to, its going to suck. I don't work on a base, so the base I have to go to for ALS is Andrews AFB, which is probably about 35 miles away. :sad2:

15. SupraTFassa

SupraTFassa New Member

Better that than have a house 10 min from the base and still be required to stay in the fucking dorms. :sadwavey:

16. Jyokker

Actually there is a guy in there with the same birthday as me. Year, month, and day!

17. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Looks like all that bullshit about 20 ppl in a room is tru, go figure. Keep the updates comin, im not going into the AF but nothing wrong with learning a little something about about it right ?

18. andymodem

Wow, that sucks, I have the option of staying in lodging or commuting to and from home.

19. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

When I went through it they broke us out in small groups and each group had the same scenario that we had to solve. It was something like "you have 50 men marooned on an island, with only enough food and water to last 5 days. YOu know a rescue force will pick you up in 4 weeks. What do you do?"

My first suggestion was to kill all the officers. :mamoru:

20. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

If they were french officers even better :rofl: That earned me a hit from the Fiancee (she's french)

21. Jyokker

From what they have told us, it will be scenario based exercises as well but all of the exercises will revolve around being a supervisor. They will be something like Amn Snuffy is a good troop with no marks on his record. One day Amn Snuffy comes in and his uniform looks like he slept in it, he has alcohol on his breath and is showing poor performance. What do you as his supervisor do?

22. Jyokker

There are 41 people in the class. The class is divided into three flights. 41/3=13.666666666666666666666666666667. So there are 13.666666666666666666666666666667 people in each class. A little over halfway to 20.

23. andymodem

:bowrofl: How did that go for you?

24. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

lets just say that I was out-voted by the other members of my team. :riaa:

25. Jyokker

updated.
    Again, if you guys want me to update this, give me some feedback on it and I will continue to update it weekly.