COMIC First comics, then Sketchbooks, now Original Comic Art *sigh*

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by void, Dec 11, 2007.

1. void

void oh yeah?

Talk about an expensive hobby. I remember walking into the comic store, spending $50 a month and thinking, "man, what a cool hobby, $3 for some kickass stories and artwork!"

I cut back on buying books at the LCS and i'm still dropping a c-note a month. Then I got hooked on sketchbooks after I saw how rediculous A-list art was, and now I'm finding "decent" prices on mainstream/indie art. It's still not cheap, but my gut tells me, "dude, what are you retarded? BUY IT!"

I say all this because I just dropped $150 on some hot, sexy Ryan Ottley art. :cool:

Invincible - Issue 45 - Page 09

Allen is my favorite :bigthumb:

[​IMG]

:hsd: i want more :noes:

2. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

"It begins..."

Nice choice of art :bigthumb:

I know how you feel. I was never really into sketchbooks or original art until this last Comic-Con. Then again, I also never had money :o

Looking at art also really makes appreciate the work of inkers. Without inks, the art doesn't look finished to me. Good thing Ottley inks his own stuff.

3. void

void oh yeah?

:werd:

I also picked this up the other day too...

It's from Cable/Deadpool Issue 25 Page 17. It's nothing really special, it's the issue where cap shows up to spy on cable and providence. This is a flashback (to the future...:rofl: ) of when cable had cap's shield and used it to boost morale during the apocalypse takeover.

It was the first issue of C&D I bought and the image is stuck in my dead when I think about the series...even though deadpool isn't on it. I'm waiting for reilly brown's art, i loved the style he brought to the book...ok I'm ranting, here's the peice.

Done by Lan Medina, you might notice his stuff from an arc he did for fables filling in for buckingham, he did the Widowmaker arc from Punisher max, and then he also did this cable/apocalypse issues 25-27.

[​IMG]

It's penciled, not inked. but I like it :hs:

4. DoctorDoom

You seem to really know your art :cool:

I liked Medina's stuff on Fables too, though Buckingham does fit well with it.

I think this Cable piece is pretty good as well. I think the pencils are tight enough that lacking ink doesn't hurt it. I've seen some art where the pencils are so loose you might as well have had the inker draw it for them.

5. void

void oh yeah?

:mamoru:

thanks, the seller of medina also is the dealer for buckingham's inker, andrew pepoy. so every now and again he sells some pretty nice stuff. of course, the stuff on his website is sub-par and the decent stuff he puts on eBay. the fanboys go bonkers when they see buckingham and it goes for 2 bills easy.

i am going to make it a point to purchase a buckingham piece one of these days. and if i ever come up with a decent paying job, a james jean cover wouldn't hurt :hs:

BTW, you're my only friend tonight...everyone else has abandoned me.

edit: here's the link if you wanna look at what buckingham stuff he has
    http://www.comiconart.com/AndrewPepoy/Fables.html

edit2.0: seems it's all sold except for that first and fourth page...and the first one has got stupid hansel on it. i want him to die...i love his goblins though. other one is meh.

6. void

void oh yeah?

btw, i know you've got a lot of prints, sketches, commissions, and original art. what do you use to store them? or do you frame them? i'm just starting to learn about cases and whatnot and i'm curious to what others use.

7. DoctorDoom

Thanks for the link info.

:werd: on both counts. I wanted to catch them at this past Comic-Con but didn't get a chance. I think Jean wanted at least $2k for each cover :noes:. Better start saving now.

I don't think I have a lot of that stuff (unless you're counting my SDCC thread :mamoru:). I've mainly used some big mylar/acid free boards for original art. I bought them from http://www.bcemylar.com when they were at the show. Splashpage art also had the same mylars for $6 (versus BCE's at $10) but they don't seem to sell them online. Unfortunately those are for archival purposes. They shouldn't really be displayed. I still have to look into stuff from framing. BCE has some frames, but maybe there's someone cheaper. Maybe a OTCC group buy is in order :noes:

I gotta turn in for the night. Until next time. Same bat-time, same bat-channel.

8. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

The artist that DoctorDoom has in his AV. I must find more of his stuff to buy. I think its a really cool idea to get the sketches and other stuff and put them up in your house as art. Some people put paintings, why not frame and put up some nice artwork done by your favorite artist?

i know once i get a house i'll be looking into some stuff :o

9. void

void oh yeah?

that allen piece is going to be framed, along with a oliver coipel piece i got too. not sure where i'm going to put them, but they'll be framed :o

10. daaarn

daaarn New Member

i know what you mean. when i first started collecting, it was only the books. then it started to expand to the peripheral merchandise and art. after seeing how much i was spending (in relation to how much i was earning on my crappy after-school job income) i went cold-turkey on every thing for like 2+ years. now i'm back but sticking solely to my monthlies

11. void

void oh yeah?

ouch. if i ever got behind for like 2 years on the books i was reading...my head would explode.

12. daaarn

daaarn New Member

yeah, when i decided to get back into comic books i didnt know wtf was happening. IIRC, i started to come back at the tail end of Morrison's run on X-Men (i think i started my embargo right b4 he debuted or shortly thereafter), around the same time Avengers Disassembled was going on. but all of that was confusing as hell so i stopped again and waited until all the "status quo shake-ups" were settled. i think i really started back up sometime after House of M finished. so now that i think about it, that was probably more like a 3-4year absence :noes:. thank god for trades.

13. void

void oh yeah?

and ebay...god i wouldn't want to tally up what i spent on ebay in 06 on comics. all i know is before i got back into the game, my rating was about 65. i'm at 300 individual ratings now, and only 130 or so ratings are from 07. i'm almost at 400 with multiple purchases. about 90% of those are from comics.

i went nuts, i'd get on there and buy $100 in back issues...only to log on a month later and dump even more. probably spent a grand on ebay alone that first year i was back, not counting what i picked up at the LCS. and i've got the 7 stuffed long boxes to prove it. :hs:

now for the $1,000,000 question...how the hell do you store that many comics and make it look good in a bachelor's pad? stupid cardboard boxes, i wish they made some wood/metal comic drawers.

14. DoctorDoom

I'm starting to run into that problem as well. There are those long cardboard boxes that are designed to be stacked, and are pulled out like a filing cabinet. But then it doesn't look as cool...

I guess I could just buy a regular metal cabinet, and stick a cardboard box in there with no one none the wiser :mamoru:

15. void

void oh yeah?

haha...then what happens when you open it and the damned thing topples over on you.

"hurm, what to read on the crapper today...ahhh spider-man: one more day...it looks pretty AND doubles as toliet paper..." *slides open cabinet* CRASH!! as it falls on you "OH DEAR GOD! THIS WAS A BAD IDEA!!! ...i just pooped a little..."

ahh, such a wonderful imagination i have. that was a fun thought :wiggle:

16. DoctorDoom

I love how you included a commentary within your scenario :rofl:. Makes you wonder why a thread hasn't been made about it.

We must find a solution to the boxes :mad:...

17. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

:bowdown:

18. void

void oh yeah?

now, now...we wouldn't want everyone vomiting uncontrollably

mooredodge, myself, and others were talking about this last year. you really would think someone would come up with some kind of trendy storage furniture type deal.

ah, the mind wanders

19. void

void oh yeah?

thanks, i got it for $65 shipped :cool:

here's his ebay handle, you can usually snag some pretty decent stuff for really good deals

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcomiconart

he's got nothing right now, but every now and again he'll put like 50+ original pieces up :bigthumb:

20. void

void oh yeah?

nice av BTW :mamoru:

21. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

:wtc:

22. void

void oh yeah?

it's ok...i wanted the patriots to lose too :hs:

23. void

void oh yeah?

i bought another one...god help me

24. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

that's a bad ass cable pic. i hope to pick up some cool shit when i go to a con

25. Hiero

Hiero New Member

James Jean is pretty awesome.
    http://www.processrecess.com/