first clay, wax on 02' s430

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by tominos, Jun 5, 2007.

1. tominos

tominos New Member

took me about five hours to do this.. i'm slow as a snail.

washed, clayed, waxed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    don't mind the dried wax dust

[​IMG]
    now just gotta do the other one.

what u guys think? i haven't waxed a car in years.

also, you guys have any tips on touching this up and fixing this little dent on the trunk?
    [​IMG]

i was halfway done waxing when it started raining, had to finish in the garage.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Since everyone else will say it too....

DON'T FORGET TO DRESS THE FENDERWELLS!!!!!!!lc

Paint looks pretty good. :)

A good PDR guy could fix the dent, and you will at least need some touch-up paint for the scratch.

3. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Wheelwells/tires look like they missed out on the 5-hours-of-lovin' you gave the rest of the car. ICK! Otherwise - good job.

If you really want to take that paint to the next level, polish it between claying and waxing. As I learned recently, it makes all the difference in the world!

As Scott said, for about $50-ish you can get that dent repaired.

BTW - what wax did you use?

4. tominos

tominos New Member

the tires do have the shiny stuff on them, they just don't show up and its not that bright. guess i did miss the fenderwells, 5 hours of buffing gets you tired haha.

i have actually polished cars before waxing, i just didn't have any polish on hand so i just went ahead and waxed it.

i used meguiars cleaner wax. when i run out of this stuff i'll get some better stuff next time. i have a waxmaster orbital buffer, but didn't know what bonnet to use to apply wax, so i just did it by hand.

5. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I want to help you so please take what I'm going to say constructively.

You have two nice luxury cars and you want them to look good, right? Read the product stickies in this forum and get yourself a good polish and wax. At the minimum, upgrade your wax.

You spent 5 hours and the results are good...but what if you spent the same 5 hours or maybe less time/effort and the results were awesome?! There is good and there is awesome. I'm slow too, but it's because detailing my car is therapeutic for me. My point is, if you spend a little more money and use better products on your paint, I think you'll be even more impressed with the outcome. Also, the protection provided by a quality wax will last longer and you won't have to do this as often. It is hard work, but rewarding.

After claying, did you notice how smooth the paint was? After polishing the paint feels even more smooth, just like glass (especially if you use a Dual Action Polisher). Applying a quality wax after polishing protects that amazingly clean paint for 3-4 months.

Good luck!!