MMA first class of BJJ...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Nomad, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

well i just got back from my first BJJ class. the class is pretty much just 6 people (myself included, more on the reason later).

went in not sure what to expect, i have a background in HS wrestling. pretty much just went over basics today, the guard, etc.

i was learning the submissions pretty quick mainly since i've watched a ton of vids on youtube and UFC and whatnot, so i though i knew what move works in what position...

with about 30 minutes left in class the instructor (he's a brown belt) decided that i should just roll with his assistant (who is a white belt, again, i'll get to that in a bit) so we were going at it and all. i fell for submission after submission the whole time, but still think that i didn't do that bad for my first day...

ok, now the tricky/hard to explain stuff....

this is all taking place in Saudi Arabia (yes, the durka capital) at an American compound for Saudi Aramco (world's largest oil company) the instructor and his assistant live outside the compound and also teaches a group/squad/whatever its called of Saudis and they usually compete in the Middle Eastern competitions.

i was the youngest member, with the age of 18, the rest were in their 30's and whatnot...

can't wait for next session :bigthumb::bigthumb:

2. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Congratulations on getting started. Don't get discouraged in 6 months when everybody is still tapping you all the time. It's tough to catch up if you're the new guy unless you're willing to put in a lot more time than everybody else, and this isn't a sport that you pick up quickly, even with a wrestling background. I had one, and getting comfortable on my back took me a while.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah just put in your time and maybe you'll start catching those guys, but most likely you're first regular submissions will be on people who are the new "new guys" after you've been around a while.

4. auto

auto New Member

Congrats on getting started! Keep us updated on your experience.