First car...what about...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 4W4K3, Apr 27, 2005.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

a Camaro?

I've found a 1994 Z28 Coupe Camaro. It's a V8, automatic, got the LT1 engine and SS hood (all black, silver rims) IT's got 16,500 miles on it, and they are asking $4500.

Are camaro's good first car's? Anything really not suited for an inexperienced driver? The price is great, and low miles...just wish i could get a CARFAX on it.

A Nissan 240SX?

1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 4 cylinder, automatic, RWD. It's $5200, and only 114 miles on it. It's only 17miles from my house so i COULD go check it out. But before i do, how do i check for a rolled back odometer? 114miles seems too good to be true on a 95'. It might have been sitting in storage, but i'm not positive. It's also got brand new tires AND brand new brakes, power everything, and a sunroof, cruise control, leather interior.

Same as Camaro, is their anythign in the 240SX that would be "too much" or w/e for an unexperienced first time driver? I can't afford to replace anything unless it practically makes the car illegal to drive...and cash is tight for now. It doesn't have anything like tranny problems, for example?

2. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

You're in an interesting kind of dilemma. Both would be great first cars.

Before making the decision, I'd check insurance rates for you on both of them. After about a year and a half, I'd expect that the cost to insure yourself is going to be greater than the cost of the car! It's definitely something that you should check out, assuming that you have to pay for insurance yourself.

After you get that info, ask again. :)

3. ices

ices New Member

a low-milage car might be ideal for a collector, but not for a daily driver. cars need to be regularly driven to keep the seals lubricated, the oil circulating, gunk from the gas tank out of the lines. if you don't drive a car for too long, things get old and "stale". why aren't you getting a stick for a first car? i'd recommend that, so you can drive 99% of the cars on the road (stick and auto). IMO, a cheap, stick, FWD car such as a civic is the best to learn on. camaro v8 has too much power, and the fact that they're both rwd makes it iffy in inclement weather. but then again, you DO in texas, so i doubt it ever snows. BUT THEN AGAIN, it was snowing in houston last year. my vote goes to an old crx/civic/sentra/corolla/accord. if i had to choose between the cars you listed, i'd take tha camaro. more power, gotta love the v8 torque, but it might be too much for a first time driver...

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the 240 is the better choice, but neither are ideal. You need something modest for your first car... You're inexperienced, and loads of power are NOT something you should start with.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

yes, the rates on the Camaro are going to be high. i am paying for everything except the price of the car. any repairs it needs afterwards i gotta do. $5000 is all my parents have, and i'm trying to stay under that.

Here in Texas is hardly snows, and when it does its only a few inches. they salt the roads like crap and if it is icy/snowy outside i'll probably just not drive. SOOOOO many wrecks here cuz people think ice is easy to drive on and they go 80MPH.

see, this is what is weird. these 2 cars are great i think, at an amazing price. a used high mileage accord/civic would cost JSUT as much, while having greater wear, less class, and less performance. i'm finding it hard to just pass up deals like these. :( i'm seeing cars with 200K+ miles on them going for ~$3000, thats ridiculous. for my price range im mostly seeing 50K or more miles.

i'll be learning to drive stick, but if the price is right on a used car i'll take an automatic. hopefully it won't be too long before i can get another better car for a daily driver, and i'll most definetly get manual. i'll only have 8 or so months in a car before i get my own...do you think that's enough to drive a 300HP+ car?

is the 240SX as powerful as the camaro, i am leaning towards that since it's niceer and VERY close to where i live. believe it or not i'm not one for speeding and trying to push the limits, i think i could live with driving a fast car and not actually GOING fast like some people are tempted to.

6. ices

ices New Member

so what are your plans with the car after 8 months? are you selling it back out, or selling it to your parents? if you sell it back out, then it won't matter if you're getting the cars for a steal anyways, because you won't have it for too long. i'm sure if you shop around a little more, you'll find a good deal on a cheap, manual import. keep it until you're experienced enough, sell it, and then buy what you want. good deals will always be around, you just have to know where to look.

look at the benefits of getting a econobox for your first car. you can learn, not worry too much about expensive parts going bad, cheap insurance, etc... if you get a good handler like the 240, or a power v8 like a camaro, then you'll end up "downgrading" to a cheaper car.

get an econobox, learn, drive it into the ground, then get a nicer car (with the money you saved) and appreciate it for what it is

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

just a note, i'll be under my dad's insurance/name until i can afford to get my own and pay it. He told me a few days ago it's going to be $350-$400 a month most likely. But that's without considering a Camaro, he was thinking Accord 4 door style car. I'd be paying like $800+ i bet if i wasnt under my dad's insurance lmao.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

no i'll be keeping this car for years. i meant i'll be LEARNING to drive with my parent's cars for a good 8 months BEFORE i get a car of my own (be it camaro or w/e).

by the time i get a car of my own (meaning that i buy by myself and all that) w/e i have is going to be pretty worthless. i hope to start learning about tuning/upgrading cars when i get one of my own. alot of my sisters friends are into car racing and they're garage junkies, hopefully they can help me out if i ever have a problem. i plan to be into cars as much as i am into computers, and make it a lifelong hobby.

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I don't really see how a 4-cylinder car is going to be too fast, the 240SX i mean, its an auto 4-cyl. It's not got that much HP, and it seems like it would be equal to an old Eclipse or sumthn.

But, if the Camaro is too fast for me (which i can easily see why), and a car like an old Honda is really considered a "beater"...what would be inbetween them that is a good first car, but not too much?

I was thinking a Miata, but that might be a bit too small and i'm thinking it being small and somewhat zippy that it's considered "sporty" and my insurance will still be higher.

Nissan Altima's/Maxima's are a step up from an old Civic i think, as i like Nissan better. I dont mind a 90's car either, but 80's or older might be too old. Basically what is a good handling car that's not going to suffer from ~40-50K miles and need desperate repairs with regular driving? I've heard Honda's are still drivable over 100K miles, but is that my only option?

10. ices

ices New Member

the v6 maxima's 2 generations before the most current one are pretty quick, i think 95-99? not too sure of the years, i'm sure someone more familiar with nissans can verify. v6 is the logical middle ground between an I4 and V8. i'm not too sure about their handling capacity, but i know that they are reasonably quick, and much cheaper to insure than a camaro. i'm sure that you'll be able to find one in good condition too, because they're not as likely to be ragged on, as compared to say, a mustang or camaro.

also, are you sure you want to go the 2 door route? i have a 95 accord coupe (my first), and although it's nice not having to give rides everywhere, it's sometimes a hassle to do something that are so easy in a 4 door, such as putting my backpack in the rear seat, moving things to/from campus, etc...

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Do yourself a favor and do NOT buy anything with a V8, do not buy anything small or "sporty".

Get a normal first car... If you don't, you'll end up hurt, or in trouble.

12. BrentRS1985

BrentRS1985 Guest

114 miles and new brakes?!? WTF

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you sure not 114k?

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

that's what i thought, but 2X in the advertisement it says 114 miles. if that's a typo it's deliberate, or the seller is a tard. but i can call them and ask if i know for sure my dad is interested.

"1995 NISSAN 240SX, 114 mi, air bag, ac, ps, cc, lthr, p/windows, am/fm, pdl, sunroof, TIRES, BRAKES NEW, $5,200, Driver Air Bag; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; AM/FM Radio; Cruise Control; Compact Disc Player; Rear Window Defroster; Leather Seats; Power Door Locks; Power Windows; Power Steering; Sunroof/Moonroof;" if anyone could do a CARFAX on this that would clear it all up. VIN: JN1AS44D8SW017649

i dont mind a 4-door, just right now the only cars i've seen that have low miles and a good price are 2-door coupe's. i'm still looking though.

15. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

IBCNULAYITDNIN3DAYS
    :x:

16. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

If you're looking at a Maxima, I'd also suggest looking at a used Grand Prix, either GTP or GT. They'll have enough power for you, and insurance is much cheaper on them than you'd find on that Camaro.

Damn... $400 - $500 per month? That's nuts. I wasn't even paying that when I bought my Firebird when I was 17. However, a pal of mine when I was 18 bought a brand-new 2001 SS Camaro and was paying about $5000 per year in insurance costs. :o

Just get something cheap and reliable. It's a first car, so really, don't worry about it. In a couple of years, trade it in for something like a V6 Camaro, and eventually, in about 6 or 7 years when your insurance gets cheaper, you can get something fun.

My fiancee and I just bought a '98 Z28 convertible, and to insure her on it was $663 for 6 months. After she turns 25 (September), that rate will be cut in half. So trust me, it pays to wait. :)

17. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

the camaro is a good first car... to wrap around a tree

becuase most likely thats what you'll do

18. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i've only heard horror stories from Pontiac's, i'll be reluctant to buy one. but i can still look for one:)

with full coverage it should be cose to $400, i cant see it ecoming more than $450. it'll be 5 yrs. or so before i can get my second car. but i dont mind waiting especially if my first will be good for that long.

19. Fetish

Fetish OT Supporter

dude you need to drop this automatic shit, if you want to learn to drive you need a manual

20. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

...have you not been reading this? i am 16, have $0 to start with, and i'm looking for my FIRST car. i can't be picky, more i CAN'T AFFORD to be picky. if i find an automatic within my price range and it's a good car, i'll take it. same for manual, but used manual's don't show up too often in my price range that are in dcent condition (at least around here.)

i will be learning to drive a manual, my dad knows how and he will be the one teaching me to drive 100% of the time (my mom isnt confident enough.) but if i get an automatic, that's what i get.

21. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Nothing wrong with automatics. Some people don't like stick in traffic.

22. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

my mom thinks sticks are unsafe for first drivers. you are concentrating on what is inside the car and when to shift and release the klutch and all that, and not the road infront of you. but she cant drive stick...so i see why she says this.

my dad says once you get over learning how to drive it, you jsut drive it. its second nature, and you don't think about it as much as my mom makes it out.

23. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

UPDATE!

The seller of the Camaro has "updated" the car's information. 160,000 miles.
    wasn't planning on getting it anymore anyways luckily, gas and insurance just too high.

Still looking for a car though, $5500 max now, lower miles prefered, 90's or newer. I'll probably start a new thread when i get ALOT closer to actually buying a car, just looking for suggestions as of now.

24. ices

ices New Member

your dad is right, after the first couple weeks of driving, stick is completely natural. i took my driving test with stick, the first time i drove an auto, i was like "why is the car moving by itself?" and "whoa! it doesn't roll backwards on hills".

but, as for learning... after the first gear start, you're golden. the faster you go, there's more "room for error", i guess? there is no risk for stalling, or making smoother shifts, so you concentrate on the road. if you have more things to worry about, your driving gets slower, rather than you concentrating so much less on the road. if anything, when you're rushed, you'll stall.

then again, i hate automatics for anything other than city/stop-and-go driving. but that's just me

25. Fat_Nate

Fat_Nate Guest

Where is this 240 at? And is it on autotrader.com??