MMA First BJJ comp

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Optamix, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Optamix

Optamix New Member

My trainer had a in house BJJ/MT/Judo comp at the school(for free) just to give everyone a chance to compete in a competition setting. All the affilate schools came in and we had pretty decent sized divisions(still not the size of a normal comp though).

I did the advanced no gi and gi.

I just wasn't used to how tournaments worked. I normally don't grapple very methodically. I lost both my opening matches while up on points by trying for a stupid submission just because I thought i would be cool to catch them.

In no gi I got single legged but I got a deep guillotine and got a submission point for it. I went for a go-go and got my guard passed :( We ended up in a scramble and he got a straight ankle lock that I fought off for a while but he twisted a funky way and even thought it wasn't "heel hooking me" at the angle and how he was putting pressure on it was tweaking my knee so I tapped out(even though my foot was about to slip out. I don't want to fuck up my knee on a free bjj tourny).

In gi I ended up pulling guard(my gi take downs are worse than my no-gi) and we fought for awhile. I ended up in north south and twisted over and got a single leg on him and got 2 points for the take down. Then I ended up in his half guard and instead of playing a safe game I let him have the underhook on purpose to try to get a darse choke then I got reversed. He caught me in a funky gi choke.

I'm gonna try to get the video's uploaded if I can get them off my cousins camera.

I learned a lot though about how you should grapple in a bjj tourny.

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

After watching the video I wasn't up on points in the first round and I was tied in the second one. First round it was 2-1(he passed my guard) and in the second video it was 2-2.

Oh well. Video uploading now.

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

nice, can't wait for videos. I am surprised though, I thought you have been competing for a while now? Seems like a rare thing to compete for the first time after you get your blue.

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I've been doing MMA for awhile...just never did any tournaments. It was fun and I want to try again.

5. miek

miek New Member

Cool :coold: I got my first tourney on the 27th :noes: Making weights scares me lol

6. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I know you will probably be gone and wont feel like driving 5 hours, bet there are a couple big tournaments coming up in Atlanta if you wanted to try them. Casca Grossa and NAGA

7. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

And I was glad I got my first tournament out of the way. I was nervous and get pinned by a sand bagging wrestler. For some reason my mind went blank and I couldnt remeber what to do from half guard (this was about after 3-4 months of training)

8. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I'm having trouble getting the video's to upload...for some reason youtube is being gay. Im trying to get them up on the myspace movie page now....

9. ZZex

ZZex New Member

It's a good thing White/Blue belts in NAGA can't do any form of leg locks. Those shit are scary :noes:

10. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

that's awesome. i'll have my first judo competition coming up pretty soon. vids will be posted.

11. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

They can in no-gi

12. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

yeah... Naga kind of fucked up with those rules in no gi. Heel hooks in novice divisions are just stupid.