First bike v. Virago vs. V-Star vs. Shadow vs. Intruder

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by D-FENS, Apr 4, 2007.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

So I'm looking to get my first bike soon. I'll be taking the MSF course in probably 2 weeks.
    I definately want a cruiser, my choices seem to have narrowed down to Yamaha Virago or V-Star, Honda Shadow, or Suzuki Intruder.
    Looking at the 600-800cc range

I'm 6'5", could I be too big to comfortably fit on any of these bikes? How much work would it be to make things work for my height (I have access to a small metal shop, and I'm not looking to make anything too fancy, just as long as it works.)
    Also, I'm ~250lbs, could that be a problem with some of these smaller engines?
    I plan on doing a lot of highway riding, do any of these bikes have a hard time at highway speeds? I'm not looking to be racing or anything, I just want to be able to do 65-75 without killing my bike.

Any major problems/advantages with any of the bikes I listed?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm 6'3 and have been as much as 230 :hsd: and I'd say an 800 would be ok for your size. You wouldn't win any acceleration contests but you'll be able to get up and go if you need. I also believe for $200 you can buy a kit to move the foot controls.

I've never ridden the others but I've heard good things about the intruder.

3. JointBeaker

JointBeaker packaging engineer #2 OT Supporter

There are a few of us v-star riders here...altho we get outnumbered by the turbo-busa crowd 10 to 1.

:noes:

Having said that, I'm 6'3" or so as well, and I have a 1100 Custom V*. Depending on what you want to spend...you could find either a custom/classic (the two styles of V*'s) in the 1100 size, for around $3500 give or take a bit...IIRC, the V* replaced the Virago's in '99 or so...

Feel free to shoot questions here. I"ll be glad to offer my insight.

4. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

I ride an 84 Virago. I love the bike, but Im 6'4" and I am starting to feel a bit cramped. Ive been thinking about either getting that kit, or jsut getting a new bike. as much as I love my Virago, finding someone that will work on the classic bikes can be a bit tedious.

Just as far as performance goes though, the bike is a trooper.. Its great to ride. Ive never really had issues, but no fuel injection makes it a little slow to start on cooler mornings. Truth be told I wish they still made em. I'd gladly jsut get a brand new Virago as opposed to something else.

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

So basically as long as I get at least a 600, any of these bikes should be (more or less) alright?

I had heard the 650 V-Stars can have a tough time at highway speeds, have you heard of this? (V-Stars aren't a likely choice for me, though. Being a high school student, I'm poor, so probably not getting anything as new as a 98.)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  6. JointBeaker

Here's a link for ya pertaining to the 650 V*. http://650ccnd.com/ There's a picture gallery, and a forum link at the top. Generally, the guys on the delphi forum are a good bunch.

When I started riding, I was probably close to your size, and I started on a 84' Honda Silverwing 500. Think of it as a small, yet very heavy cruiser, with the old Vetter fairing on the front. Even tho the engine size was small compared to todays bohemoth cruisers, it pulled me around just fine. From there I went to a '82 Yamaha Maxim 750, with a lopey idle, and a hole in the exhaust. What I'm trying to say...is maybe it would be worth your time to check out some older bikes, that may have very few miles, but because they're out of style...you could pick one up for cheap.

As far as the 650's keeping up at highway speeds, I don't speak from experience...I have heard tho, that they'll run 75-80mph all day, but don't expect that speed to come without a lot of extra NHV. If you're remotely interested in looking for a Star, I'd check out that forum above.

Good luck.

7. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I've done 65-75 for hours at a time on my little EX250, I sure hope 600+cc bikes don't have problems doing it.

8. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Actually the problem I heard with the V-Star wasn't the engine power but the gears, I guess the highest gear just wasn't high enough, even though the engine would have worked fine with something higher.

9. JointBeaker

If you're a new rider, the last thing you need to worry about is top speed. :hsd:

Good luck.

10. houseofdon

houseofdon Simplify Moderator

I've got a Virago 535 and it's a great first bike. I'm only 6'1" and about 190, so I'm obviously way smaller than you. I can cruise at 80+ with no problem, and my buddy who is 6'4" has been on mine and said he felt comfortable.