A&P First attempt at strobist lighting

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by redna, Jun 21, 2007.

1. redna

redna New Member

Finally took the SB-800 off the camera..

My first attempt at lighting in a studio style environment. I used a SB-800 with my D70 and 18-200VR to catch these. Shot the 800 into a reflector umbrella and used a reflector on camera left to bring up the shadows. The lame high school portrait background was lit with my SB-600 fired straight into the sheet. Ghetto, I know... but it's my first go round, cut me some slack.

All these are self portraits plus my girlfriend. Dont mind the last pic.. I know I'm beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

looks good.

i was reading the stobist site...didnt seem to be much difference between what he is doing and what you do with studio lights. its just the light is a hell of a lot smaller. correct me if im wrong tho.

edit: lol i like the last one the best.

3. redna

redna New Member

I think you're pretty much right. The point behind the strobists site is to be able to carry all your lighting with you without breaking your back. or to atleast be able to get some creative lighting out in the field. Granted, I did this in my living room, but i dont have the budget for full out strobes.... so i just used his techniques.

I'm not crazy about the pictures of me, because they're of me, but the lighting seems to be working out for me pretty well.

I just broke in my brand new 50 1.4 (just bought it tonight) and HOLY HELL! is that thing sharp.. and fast... and thin... and just, wow. I'll post pics from that tomorrow probably.

4. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

haha im totally with you on the limited budget...most of my shots are done in my kitchen with a single monolight [before i got the monolight i was using a sunpak flash that my dad used in the early 80's]

i agree, the 50 1.4 is a damn nice lens. that is my next purchase. its about time to retire the 50 1.8 ;p

5. wisie

wisie New Member

Great lighting in these. Something about the third pose I find wrong? As the male I kind of expect you to be wrapped around the girl? Sweet shots though strboist is the best. Keep them coming!