A&P First attempt at food photography, another assignment

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by turbodude, Dec 2, 2008.

1. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

So i have been getting alot more assignments other than nightlife with my Magazine, as you can tell by the recent threads.

So I had to shoot an Editorial for this new Sushi Restaurant, Spicy Tuna. I met the writer there. We both were to taste the food, she was to write an article, i shoot the food on location.

Only one shot will be used, i shot about 5 dishes and then actual Venue (the place is kinda a hole in teh wall, so i doubt they will use the venue shots)

Got done with one of the photos right now, so i figured i would post it. I think it needs a little more pop, so i will prob add some special pop to it when i get home tonight, but we will see what you bastards say. Only requirements for the image by the editor was it had to be a Landscape orientation image (its probably gonna share a page with another restaurant editorial)

This is called a Monkey Roll, it has banana in it.

[​IMG]

I tried reading the Lou Manna book over the weekend to try and get the jist of food photography, i dont think its mind blowing or even good, but i am always my worst critique. I think it lacks depth and is kinda flat, i tried working with teh circular composition that Lou Manna suggests, but i couldnt find it in the dishes, so i tried goign with the geometric shapes that i normally do. Ok let me have it...

2. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

it looks decent, i don't like the composition much though

3. turbodude

yeah i know i feel teh same.

4. cgper

cgper OT Supporter

the crooked horizon is bothering me

5. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

6. 3x

3x New Member

i was going to post that :o

here's my shitty pp attempt, maybe it'll help somehow

[​IMG]

i was bored :o

ehh thinking about it now i should have lightened the table instead of darkened it. oh well. the things to do between paragraphs on my term paper :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  7. Killyin

Killyin Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.

The white stuff in the middle of the plate is bugging me. It kills the seperation between background and subject. It's also a big white blob in the middle of the picture. :o

8. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

I met Lou Manna. He is a tool.

Your shot is pelfed.

9. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

pelfed, like others said.

Also, the sauce on top looks like it sat there for a while before the shot was taken :dunno:

10. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I think for me, I just dont find the food apetizing, which is the point of the photo. pelfing and rice noodles and dark table aside, it simply looks like a bunch of tongues are beign stuck out at me. It is pointing right at me. I dont want my food to point at me. the forward most peice of tuna has a dry spot on the tip and the sauce looks like it is trying to get off the fish more than stay on. and the specular highlights on the top of the fish are taking away from the food. The peice of roll to the right is far more apetizing.

photographically, I think the picture is great. but compositionally, it is off. and I think that a different plating style is needed. There are three peices, I see, maybe a fourth. I would have lined up 3 pieces on a diagonal maybe. just make sure to use an odd number of peices and have the hairball of rice noodle in the background. The teapot in the background should be used better, it adds to the "asian" of the dish.

and lastly, I am not sure if there is a design on the plate or if there is a mess down there. if it is a design, maybe show it better and if it is a mess, clean it up. but be sure we know what it is

11. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

and I am going to have sushi for lunch now, thanks to this thread

12. Essence

Essence New Member

i think by changing the background color to a bluish(or any color really, i just think a blue/gray would contrast the pink in the flower thing well) color it would make the white stuff in the middle stand apart from the background.

13. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

too narrow of a DOF ... i think both of the sandwiches in front should be in focus.

14. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Also, it's kinda hard to tell what is in the sushi roll. To me it just looks like some tuna on top of cole slaw, which doesn't make we want to go try this place.

You said this is a special roll that has banana, do you have any shots that make the banana stand out?

15. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

food is a pain in the ass, I did some work for a restaurant in the summer, shit kept gettng congeiled and nasty quickly

16. Zz_3.14_zZ

Zz_3.14_zZ New Member

I was thinking that.

But over all, I like it. Its making me hungry :yum: So I'd say the job was done.

17. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

It makes me hungry, but it could be because it's lunch time.

18. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

the black kettle is really distracting, and I would do some work to change the hue of the fish from rotten brown to fresh pink

19. pawis

pawis werd em up

first off, i think getting the art off that plate(as if it were taken on a white plate) or of thats just extra food or sauce, still pp it out

horizon in the background fix to make even, but as far as composition goes, if the kettle and the purple glass were switched i think it would look much better, just seems so heavy on the left, like i just drank a bunch sake and have a lean going on, lol

20. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

can you post a fullsize or raw? I'd like to fuck around with this one a bit, I'm bored.

21. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

it actually looks on point with most food photography as far as DOF is concerned. marketers want the sharp details of the layers for the most part...past that is usually OOF.

I think you need to shoot at a higher angle looking more down.

22. turbodude

23. cgper

cgper OT Supporter

i dont know, color seems off and some highlights are blown.
    also is that a softbox for the bg? being able to see the edges is distracting and the bottle of sake? is blending in the bg.
    but what do i know, i feel like the more simple the setup the better results you'll see. also maybe keep the teapot and bottles out next time. seems cluttered to me

24. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

It's a learning curve, I've never done food photography.

What I would recommend though; Since the food is the subject matter I would try to keep it less cluttered, and focus all the attention onto the food, maybe shoot from just a little bit of a higher angle and perhaps close down your aperture for a little bit more DOF, and I would try to center the plates and don't cut off the edges. Another thing I noticed is that your pictures are really top heavy on some of them, I would watch out for that.

Also in some of those pictures I've noticed there is dust onthe tables or they just aren't clean, I would highly recommend making sure your photo area is completely spotless, from a consumers point of view it just doesn't look that appetizing with all the dirt around the table and makes me think about the cleanliness at the restaurant.

And I am by no means a pro food photographer, or a pro at all. So you may want to just ignore my post -_-

Edit*
    I should've read the thread before posting, looks like most of this stuff has been mentioned.

25. 3x

3x New Member

i can say that the last four you posted look better than the first. i like #2 the best, but #4 makes me the hungriest :hsd: