Firewire External HD Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by iridium130, Sep 24, 2008.

1. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

I got a new Seagate FreeAgent Pro today to use as extra drive space now that I'm shooting in RAW...I have an existing WD MyBook Studio Edition that I have hooked up via FW800 for Time Machine backups.

Once I plugged in the FreeAgent over FW400, my MyBook stopped responding and wouldn't power off even if I held the power down. I had to pull the power plug and let it sit for a few minutes. After I plugged it back in, it responded to my power on/off commands but OSX wouldn't recognize it. I check disk utility and it doesn't show up there at all.

I've rebooted a couple times and it hasn't seemed to help...even when I unplug the FW400 drive from my computer directly, the FW800 drive still won't recognize.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Man this FreeAgent Pro is kind of annoying...it goes to sleep like 10 seconds after you stop accessing it :ugh:

Supposedly it's possible to change this in WINDOWS but once you format the drive in OSX, the Windows files are erased...and if you wanted to re-configure the drive in Windows, you'd have to email tech support just so you could get a link for the drivers :ugh:

This drive might be going back...

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I've similar FireWire issues like that before. Try hooking the drive that isn't working to another machine. If you can get another machine to recognize it, then attach it to the original one and all should be fine. My mini refuses to work with more then 1 FireWire drive at a time which can be an issue too.

I have a 1GB FreeAgent Pro. It's a nice drive but has some downsides. The biggest one is it's SATA interface. It has it's own SATA controller so if you use it with a SATA card it causes issues and slows the transfers down to a near crawl. Other issues is the initial formatting. Disk Utility fails when attempting for format it for HFS+. You have to format it for FAT32, then partition it for GUID and then reformat it for HFS+ to make it work.

4. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Hmm okay I'll have to try that then. Hopefully it will solve the problem :x:

I never really had a problem with formatting it...I used the Seagate utility to format it then used disk utility to format it again afterwards :dunno:

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Aaaaah, see I didn't bother with the Seagate utility at all.

6. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Yeah I'm normally the type to just forego any utilities/apps that come with drives but for some reason I decided to run the utility this time :o

7. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

I got it to work on another computer after a little wrangling but once I brought it back up here, it didn't work again :ugh:

It seems like maybe the FW800 port is dead? :mad:

8. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

:ugh: I just tried it with a USB cable and it magically decided it wanted to work :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

9. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Just tried a different cable as well as a different FW800 HD and it still doesn't work :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wonder how much this shits going to cost to repair :mad:

It's either a freakish coincidence that when I plugged in the Seagate drive that my WD decided to die or some bizarre driver conflict or something killed the FW800 port :mad:

10. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

I'm an impatient, panicky Pete when it comes to these threads...I end up replying 50x to myself :mamoru:

Anyways, I unplugged both FW drives and turned off the iMac and removed the power plug. Once I rebooted, I plugged the FW800 drive in and voila, it worked. Then I tried plugging in the FW400 drive and *poof* FW800 powered off.

So this time I'm going to try plugging in FW400 first and then the FW800 and see what happens. If not, I may have to use USB 2.0 instead of FW400 :hs: :ugh:

edit: So basically it looks like FW400 and FW800 cannot peacefully co-exist :ugh: I guess I'm going to have to plug the FW400 drive to USB now :ugh: and continue using FW800 for Time Machine. Although maybe it might be better to have the Time Machine drive USB? :dunno:

As for the auto-sleep I'll have to plug the Seagate into my PC to install the sleep management software. Seagate is FTL when they say "Mac Compatible: :ugh:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008