Firewire Audio Interface

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TenSteel, Feb 4, 2008.

1. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

Hey Mac Shack bishes. :wavey:

I has a question now that I'm shopping for Firewire interfaces to use with Garage Band for recording songs at home.

I noticed under the Audio/MIDI setup utility, there are drop down menus to select Default Input, Default Output, and System Output. If you plug in a Firewire audio interface, like a PreSonus or Focusrite, can you change all these defaults to go to the Firewire device? I'm curious if I'll be able to play songs in iTunes into my recording monitors.

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

you should be able to. i have a usb interface and you can set it as your default output so that all sound is routed into the interface.

3. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

sweet, sounds like it should work :bigthumb:

can't wait to get this little home studio thing going :wiggle:

4. assclown

assclown Active Member

You will be able to :)

5. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

works most of the time, however I occasionally have problems routing the sound output from iTunes to the interface. If you are shopping around though, I highly suggest the Firepod. It has much better mic pres than most of the other interfaces on the market for the same price. M-audio blows, and the Focusrite and Motu units are over priced in my opinion.

6. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

A really good one that I use would be the M-Audio Firewire 410.

Has 4 inputs (actually only two at a time, either xl or 1/4th cables) and 10 outputs. I use it for my little band with two condenser microphones (the unit has phantom power) and you can record two different tracks in garage band with the little unit at a time (no re-tracking for vocals or guitar).

I got it for 299.99 at a local music store I frequent. If you're running leopard, you'll need the 1.4.10 drivers from m-audio, but they do work for leopard with no problems.

USB interfaces have given me nothing but trouble, I have an alesis multimix 8 usb and it gives horrible static when routing it through my iMac. Apple forums show everyone has the problem, so I now use it for nothing but live routing.

7. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

I like Firepods a lot. You can probably get the older model somewhere for a good deal since they recently put out an updated model.

8. MAD PUNK inDC

Sorry, I hate to bring strong opinion into it, but whatever you do, DO NOT buy a firewire 410. Horrible latency issues when multitracking, sub par mic pre amps, and only moderate converters. Trust me, for anything below $400 Presonus is the way to go. Surprisingly though the Mackie Onyx doesn't do to bad. Not great mic pres, but it has decent converters. Also if you have the money to blow, the RME Fireface also has great mic pre amps, low latency, and is a better overall unit than the Firepod, however I don't think it's price is worth it.

You don't have to take my word for it either, you can check it out for yourself here:
    http://gearslutz.com/board/

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a M-Audio FW410 and it's great in windows. Maybe the mac drivers arn't so hot. ?

10. MAD PUNK inDC

it has nothing to do with drivers, it's the hardware. M-audio just makes low end crap. Get behind a better quality interface with better pre amps and you'll understand what I mean. You can here the distortion in the high frequency range, and the channel sounds paper thin, there is no depth when going through the pre.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dunno. I tried an Alesis iO|26 for a few weeks and was massively disappointed. The MAudio, however, has kept me very happy.

So you have fun with your brand sack-riding but after using them first-hand in my office with my setup the FW410 is an excellent product.

btw, I'm using a set of Yamaha HS50M studio monitors and a KRK Rockit 10 sub.

12. MAD PUNK inDC

Brand sackriding? What do you think, I just sit in moms basement and rock out guitar jams or something? :bowrofl: High quality live recording has been my fucking job for years. I've sat down on systems than put your average small office ProTools suit to shame. We're talking $60k dollar Yamaha PM5ds, or $300k Cadacs. If there is anybody who is going to give you the strait talk, it's me, because I don't care where it is made, or who it is made by, it simply must work, and meet my high expectations. So you know where your "sack riding" excuse can go.

Look man, the facts are the facts. Its not my fault if your ears are not good enough to hear it, but anybody worth a shit is going to hear the difference. It's sub par sound at best. You have no dynamic range with that thing, the converters are garbage, the pres are paper thin, latency is sky high, and while maybe yours works, the 410 has had a laundry list of quality problems and drivers issues. Honestly get behind a decent interface with some good mic pre amps, it's work the extra $150-$200 over the cost of entry level junk built for teenagers.

Also Alesis hasn't produced anything really good in years. It seems to me they are building new products with leftover stuff they can't get rid of, though I do like my Quadraverb 2. They are not even a real player in the audio interface world, their big claim to fame has been the ADAT so I have no idea why you drag them into it.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You sound like a self-righteous punk. Go play your "riffs" on your $60k rig. I know what I know. And for some dude doing personal-use playback/recording, there is nothing wrong with my setup. In fact, given the money I spent on it, I bet you couldn't do any better. But that's not the point. Your opinion will change depending on what the person has so that they're always wrong and you are always the righteous elite. Have fun with that.

So let me say this in no uncertain terms. For the money, there was not a better interface than the FW410, at the time I bought it. And I am not aware of one now -- although I haven't explicitly followed that market.

And since you obviously haven't realized this: There is a huge difference from a personal-use setup to a $60k pro recording room. With the acoustic properties of a normal room, it's going to muddle the sound difference between entry-level and high-end prosumer gear. In some instances, the entry-level will out-perform the high-end until you get into those "perfectly-setup" rooms.

14. MAD PUNK inDC

I'm saying what I'm saying because YOU accused me of "sack riding" brands when I couldn't give a shit who made it. I'm also saying what I'm saying because I have fucking YEARS, upon years of experience, and I know better than to save $50 and sacrifice quality, over spending a little extra for a product that is far superior. You know whats funny though. People like you are always the first ones to start making accusations, though YOU are the one hugging M-audio's shitty little nuts, it's pathetic. You don't believe the quality issues, fine don't take my word for it, do your own research on reputable boards, or talking with other known engineers. They will all tell you the same thing, M-Audio = shit.

and again for the money, I can do way better than the fucking crap you call an interface. The Firepod, which destroys the 410, is $399, the Mackie Onyx, also better than the 410, and it's less expensive. Hell even the low end Tascam or EMU has better latency and better converters. You are just like every other M-Audio dick sucker out there. You think they are the only ones that make a passible product in the price range, but you guys are WRONG. The FACTS back ME up. So again, don't blame me because you picked out some budget POS, but don't spread your disease either. If you don't want to get called out, don't fucking step up. :slap:

15. MAD PUNK inDC

Jesus this is why I hate these faggots on OT. It's obvious that I have more experience with the matter, but yet because I do, I get called an "elitist" :uh: It's obvious if that if I'm working on hundred thousand dollar equipment, I must know something. They didn't just sit me down on it and say "here you go", I had to learn and earn my way to that level, so LISTEN TO THOSE WHO KNOW BETTER. :slap:

16. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

this is getting good :drama:

17. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

I had just picked up the 410, and having used an alesis before, I guess I didn't upgrade as well as I thought I did.

Works as I want, and when micing my acoustic guitar it sounds fine, with nice bass and treble. Though vocals through my condenser mic sounds kind of tinny. Guess that's from the pres.

I guess I also must not have heard something from a superior product, as I'm just now getting into the whole studio gear recording thing. Are there any recommendations you have sub $600 that sounds great and supports multiple inputs and outputs (I'd like to have 4 in and 4 out, but more is always better). Also, firewire would be a plus. :)

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

THIS IS WHY YOU ARE AN IDIOT. I even pointed this out in my previous post...

just because something sounds good in a $60k+ setup in a proper studio does not mean it will sound good in mr average-joe's room. in fact, it will probably sound like shit.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

This is why I call you a brand sack-riding faggot. You are one. You address M-Audio as a whole. I'm talking specifically with the FW410, and within a specific price range. In that range, the FW410 is great.

My FW410 was *LESS* than $250.

The Firepod is $400... that's $150 more. I got my FW410 and half of my studio monitors for the same price as just the firepod. Not the same league.

The Mackie Onyx 400F is $699. It's MSRP is $899! How the fuck is that less expensive than a FW410?

Unless you mean the Mackie Onyx Satellite. That is $200. And it does look like a good product. However I don't recall seeing that when I bought my FW410 over a year ago. When did it come out? Regardless, it's only 4 outputs and I use 8. Still, looks like a decent product if you only need 4.

You need to step the fuck down. You're an elitist prick that shops based on a badge. That's great that you're either rich or you do this professionally -- either way that is a DIFFERENT BALLPARK. It's not my fault you can't adjust yourself to the scope of the discussion.

OMG my $60k audio is better than your $200 audio, you must be an idiot, bow before me for I am madpunkindc therefore I am god!

Shut the fuck up.

20. MAD PUNK inDC

WRONG, because the short falls of the 410 have NOTHING to do with studio or room setups. IN fact most of MY recording is done LIVE, as in I get ONE take, ONE shot in a setup that has almost NO control over room dynamics. The fact is M-audio simply makes the cheapest product they can get by with, using bulk parts. Your argument would possibly have a leg to stand on, IF we were talking about expensive condenser mics, such as the U87, but we're not talking mics, we are talking about interfaces, and a shit interface is shit no matter what room you use it in.

LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR SINCE YOU HAVE A PROBLEM UNDERSTANDING THE BASICS. THESE ARE THE PROBLEM WITH THE 410:

1. the mic pre amps are NOT up to par with the others in it's class. They are noisey, thin, and do not support much dynamic range, the result is a touchy pre that when pushed, easily distorts the signal, adds noise or falls flat on it's face in response leading to a decrease in overall sound quality.

2. the converters (the little fuckers that do the work from analogue to digital and back) are bargin basement. They are not efficient at encoding and decoding signals, and thus leading to noticeable drop out, and high frequency distortion, it also contributes to the next problem...

3. high overhead and latency. Again partially because of the converters, part firmware, and partially the result of the cheapest firewire controllers out, the 410 suffers from high latency, particularly when multitracking, which causes your computer to try to play catch up with the interface. This can cause anything from digital clipping to delay, all the way up to improper sync.

21. assclown

assclown Active Member

The shit-storm above is the reason why I kept my reply short and sweet. :hs:

22. MAD PUNK inDC

Presonus Firepod10 has good mic pre amps, very clean and clear, and supports 8 outputs as well. Very good unit for the money, about $450

Motu Ultralite is also a great unit, but only has two mic pre amps, if I remember correctly. Lots of line in/out though. It's about $550

The RME Fireface 400 is probably the most rock solid and nice sounding interface for the money. It also has the lowest latency, and best mic pre in my opinion, but at $900 it's a bit pricy, and only has 2 pre amps. Though if you ask a lot of people, they'll tell you once you use RME, you won't want to use anything else.

Finally the Mackie Onyx 400f is a good unit, decent pre amps, but not as good as the presonus. Better support though, and you get 4 pre, 4 line inputs and 8 balenced outs. It also takes a standard ATX power cable, so you don't have to screw around with a brick power supply. It's about $600

Also what type mics are you using? I suggest going on to gearslutz.com[/UR], and check out s... of back to back sound clips of various mics.

23. MAD PUNK inDC

if you ever wonder why you are stuck using a $200 interface in a closet, and I get to sit behind a $65k Yamaha digital live board, don't. That post you made is all the explanation you'll ever need. You called me out and got :Owned: because you don't know enough about the subject. Not only that but you insist that it's a matter of money, or room treatment, or whatever, but it's not, it's about the facts. Nobody is telling the guy to drop $60k on a studio and room treatment. I'm simply telling him to drop the extra $150-$250 to avoid getting a shit interface. :rofl:

shop by the label. :bowrofl: I can rattle off a list of no name equipment that would blow your little Shure SM-58 out of the water for a fraction of the price. It's called RESEARCH, look into it. :slap:

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you are fucking mad dumb, son. I'm not "stuck in a closet" I use it to fucking play MP3s in my office. It's overkill for what I do. You're the faggot trying to be elitist.

25. MAD PUNK inDC

:bowrofl: No idiot, I'm not "mad dumb", and I'm not trying to be an elitist. I'm a fucking professional with 17 years of experience, who knows a hell of a lot more about the subject than you do, and when you called me out, you got :Owned: hardcore because you don't know a fraction of what I do about sound, recording and more importantly stretching your dollars worth on equipment thats worth a damn. I've taught a lot of techs how to run sound, setup a stage, record, and advised many people on what equipment to use given their budget. I'm probably one of the easiest engineers to get along with, and I wouldn't be slamming the door in your face so hard if you hadn't started with the accusations kid. It's MY JOB to know what works well, and to get quality results, and while I can certainly agree with people on differences of theory, equipment, and such, I WILL NOT be told by some idiot who doesn't know shit from shine, what is, and isn't good equipment. :slap:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008