Firewalls set by apartment building

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by notcolin938, Oct 14, 2008.

1. notcolin938

notcolin938 New Member

So I live in an apartment complex that provides free internet via a LAN, but they have set up firewalls to prevent the use of programs such as soulseek and frostwire (to download music). I haven't tried using torrents since I don't really want the whole album, just certain songs. Anyways I've downloaded GPass which is a program runs applications through proxies and tunnels, yet mine is unable to find a tunnel. Is there any way I can run these programs with my internet problem?

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Pay for internet that isn't shared among an entire apartment building would be your best bet...

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

... and as far as this forum goes will be your only bet. sorry, but trying to circumvent security is not allowed in this forum. might want to look elsewhere.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Do you live in a halfway house or something? They have no call to keep you from doing whatever you want on the internet; if they've blocked those ports it's because assholes run their BT clients nonstop and bog down the internet for everyone else, not because of ethical concerns. Ask them to modify the rules to allow a certain percentage of bandwidth to be used by programs like that, and if they don't, move somewhere else.

5. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I think they have every right to block what they want. You should have discuessed this with them prior to moving it. The fact that they can have legal hassels to deal with if the RIAA or someone catches users is a damn fine reason for them blocking such programs from running.

BTW: Try just using google for you "legal" downloading needs. Thats all I've used for several years.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The courts have repeatedly upheld the precedent that carriers are not responsible for the contents of the packages they carry. That applies to ISPs as well.

7. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

And yet, the RIAA and MPAA still demand the information from ISP/Universities/etc, even though the courts wouldn't issue an order to hand over the information. Its a huge hassle to be bullied by those big industry interest groups, and I can see why some places would want to avoid the issue entirely.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If the apartment is offering free Internet for living there, I believe they have every right to lock it down how they see fit regardless.

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

the apartment complex isn't an ISP and if they are providing it free for their residents then they are the ones who have the contract, not the individual residents. so, most likely they are the ones responsible for what is done with the network for the most part.

by the way, i just read your post a little more closely and realized you are directly asking for assistance stealing music. if you only want a few songs, you can easily and cheaply buy them from places like iTunes or whatever. you don't need to be a thief.

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

11. notcolin938

notcolin938 New Member

College student ftl, and who doesn't steal music?

12. notcolin938

notcolin938 New Member

I'm thinking this is my only option, thanks for the help

13. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Which has nothing to do with anything here. As stated above, the apartment complex isn't an ISP, they are merely a customer. This situation is pretty much the same as if someone was using your wireless to download music and the RIAA went after you. People have used that as a defense and it doesn't work..

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=608303

it isn't about who does or does not. if you're going to check out a forum for assistance, at the very least you should check the rules of the forum. in this case, you broke 2 of them. 1) you are asking to bypass security and 2) you specifically asked for assistance in stealing something. i can't recommend how you could come up with a better way of talking about 1, but for 2 you can certainly avoid any talk of illegal activity.

15. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

Either way, downloading the music or breaking the DRM to play it somewhere else, makes you a criminal.

Just download what you like and go to concerts and buy merch. Thats what I do.

Then again, most death metal bands aren't going to sic the RIAA on me.