Firefox

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by toeshoes, Sep 2, 2006.

1. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

Why, oh why, did it take me until tonight to download Firefox??? This shit is awesome!!! :bowdown: Screw IE!

2. xinster

xinster New Member

3. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

now you get to decide on themes and extensions... gmail manager alone is worth it for me...

4. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Firefox > Opera > IE

Though, there is some debate about the order of the first two. :mamoru:

5. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

My God, are you looking for a holy war? What's the point of this thread?!

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Fuck that Firefox and it's gigantic footprint.

Opera > Firefox > IE

7. xinster

xinster New Member

I dlled opera but wasn't smart enough to use it.

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Fixed.

Yea, I'll piss on Opera when Opera users piss on FF. Even though I know it ain't a bad browser (it just doesn't compete with FF ;)).

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Obviosuly you have no clue what you are talking about.

Opera > Firefox
    Why?
    Faster load times, smaller footprint, smaller install size, faster browsing as well.

10. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Opera for speed, FF for functionality. I'm using Opera as of now.

11. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

I have gmail, but I don't understand about themes and extensions. I know what a theme is in Windows....is that what you are talking about???

12. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Just look around on the Mozilla site.

13. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I know, I'm completely retarded on the matter, not my area at all :mamoru:

So you're saying extensibility doesn't matter? Some of us pretty much NEED (as in NEED) proper Javascript debuggers, where we can set breakpoints and inspect objects. I'm talking about firebug and venkman. I also find the tamperdata extension pretty much invaluable when testing forms (for finding SECURITY problems and fixing bugs, and making things work). The livehttpheaders extension has it's moments of life-saving too.

Of course a web-developers time is worth crap compared to "footprint" (which scales according to available resources on FF, I hear).

I don't think there's much of a place on THE FUCKING INTERNET for any web-browser that won't generally be auto-updated when security vulnerabilities are found and fixed. Yer fecking lucky ye don't have >10% market share ;)

I would hardly mind, Opera's supposed to be at least in Firefox's general vicinity when it comes to standards compliance. It's so damn annoying when I try to do something useful, in a standards-compliant way and it works on FF but not Opera, and I can't get a workaround for Opera without using Javascript and even then the workaround sucks. (try making a div in Opera stretch from 5px from the left to 5px from the right. The standards compliant way would be: "div { position:absolute; left:5px; right:5px; }". Obviously this is useful to do. I pretty much need it for the main widget in one of my web-apps, where the borders contain toolbars/buttons.)

I haven't actually used Firefox in months. I've been using BonEcho (will become Firefox 2) and Minefield (will become Firefox 3) almost exclusively, and a killer feature in these for me is crashed session restore. Let me rephrase that - PROPER crashed session restore. The electricity goes off in this house at least 3 times a day typically (and when the electricity goes off it's as if Opera and FF crashed). Opera would gimme back the tabs I was looking at, while BonEcho gives me the tabs and the form data, and the history, and it places me at exactly what I was looking at. So I can grace ye all with posts like this without going through a text editor and hitting save every so often.

Ya, most of my criticisms of Opera are mostly web-dev stuff (not all - the last, and almost the most important one, is not), but it would hurt to be a web-developer and not have Firefox available. Serious web-development in Opera without FF available, keep dreaming.

14. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I just switched too.. glad I did...

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm using IE6 with the Google Toolbar to provide anytime searching and popup blocking. I'm quite happy with it. It's more cooperative than Opera and it uses less memory than Firefox. And with my corporate AV software (which I would need to use, regardless of my browser), I'm completely safe.

16. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Uh, not quite.

17. deusexaethera

Tell that to the past five years of my life, in which my computer has caught exactly zero viruses, worms, or malwares.

18. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

You can't say that for sure, and you for sure can't be sure that you're completely safe.

Anyhow malware like that would be the least of a lot of people's worries (think confidential data).

Didn't you mention before that you have gigabytes of ram? If so I doubt Firefox's extra memory usage would hurt that much (it doesn't on my 256Mb ram machine.. but maybe that's down to Linux's kick-arse memory management)...

Given Microsoft's complete disregard for web fucking standards that every other browser except their own can get right within reason (Konqueror and safari, Mozilla Firefox etc, Opera), I won't touching that piece of shit IE much.

Don't you think it's better for the web to use a more supportive browser??

19. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

[​IMG]
    I was lazy and just did that in paint. And didnt resize, and I am sorry. But if Firefox is so great why does it take up so much memory.

20. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Don't you have nearly 4Gb of ram there? (do you work for Pixar or something?)

You're computer's not using much memory at all.. But you can still disable bfcache/other features (features that I hear scale according to available resources (on your PC, there seems to be loads), maybe I'll find out if that's true when/if I get this POS PC a friend's offering...) if you wanna slow down Firefox.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  21. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

Nah, I got 2 gigs in my laptop, and nah, don't work for Pixar. I work in radio, nothing that exciting. I do some audio editing on my lappy, but that is about it. But in all seriousness about Firefox. It is a good product, but it is flawed. I don't want to go in tweaking stuff to fix something the engineers or developers of Firefox should do for me.

22. deusexaethera

I think it's better for me to use a better-supported browser. The web benefits when people use it, regardless of whose standards are being used.

23. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

2 gigs is plenty. I know if I had that much I'd wish programs would take as much as they can until it's full (so, for example, clicking the Menu button would bring my apps menu up near-instantly).

Firefox runs more than fine on my 256Mb ram machine. Numbers mean shit all to me.
    The web benefits more when people use browsers which support web standards not-designed and closed so as to keep hold of a monopoly position in the web browser maket (and OS, and hardware markets to an extent, since IE only runs on Windows and Windows only runs on PCs (until, of course, wine came along, but as if MS helped them)).

24. xinster

xinster New Member

firefox in my experience does whore the ram. But 164k is ridiculous. I think ive seen 50-60k

25. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

That's nothing. D'you have any idea what you're talking about?

By the looks of things, nobody here has a clue how memory is managed.

I haven't seen anyone mention anything about RSS (resident set size, "a measurement of RAM usage; represents actual physical RAM being used"), so I can be pretty sure about that.

Firefox could request a gigabyte more memory on my machine, fill it with shit and then leave it. I only have 256Mb ram, you'd expect the computer to be running dog-slow wouldn't you? It might, for a short while, but then that gigabyte which isn't being used will be swapped out to the harddrive and it'll stay there where it doesn't hinder performance.

If ten minutes later Firefox tried to, say, negate every bit in the gigabyte, then you've got a problem.

I'd hardly mind, but in all my time on these forums reading posts about how Firefox's memory usage is too much, all the evidence I've seen is numbers. And I keep telling how little the numbers say and still no more evidence. Did ye not think of, um, running Firefox on a severely ram-limited machine and comparing performance on that with Opera and IE on the same machine? Then, I'd bet Firefox would be pwnd by both IE and Opera. Pity, though, that those ram-limited machines are hard to find in 2006.