Firefox Gurus (public computers)...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Funky Munky, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky Chronic Masturbator OT Supporter

So I invested in a 1GB memory stick for college and since these computers only use IE I said fuck that I am downloading Firefox so I have Firefox installed on it (the full version not the "USB friendly" version) and whenever I restart or log off the computer it never saves my passwords/history/autocomplete files. I was wondering if there is a way in Firefox itself to ensure that it saves these files so when I plug my stick into another PC and log on it saves my bookmarks and whatnot.

Thanks for any help. :bigthumb:

2. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

1) In the same folder as Firefox.exe, make a subfolder called "profile" and leave it empty.
    2) In the same folder as Firefox.exe, create a .bat file and put the following line inside it:
    start firefox.exe -profile "profile/"
    3) Save the .bat file and run it. Your profile should automatically be created in the "profile" folder, open it up, you should see a "chrome" subdirectory, prefs.js and the usual files.

Found this online, though I don't have a flash drive to test it.

Edit: If it doesn't work, try adding the absoulte path to the profile, i.e. "E:\profile"

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If you're going to go through so much work to use better software, why not just reboot the machine with a Linux LiveCD instead?

4. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

The flash drive is a heck of a lot easier than booting up a LiveCD and THEN storing it on a flashdrive. And I don't know if you've seen the type of people they hire to be lab assistants, but they'd probably shit themselves and call 911 if they saw a linux desktop on one of the PCs.

5. tony

tony Guest

Some of the labs i've been into do not allow the students to reboot the machines. Ive seen a couple people get kicked out, because of it.

6. Penguin Man

The labs you guys are talking about are obviously more supervised and controlled than the ones I'm used to. The University-controlled ones at my school are pretty wide-open.

Of course, in the comp sci-controlled ones, things are stricter - you can't reboot since someone may be working on that machine remotely and you'd fuck them over by rebooting. But they're Linux anyway, so you wouldn't need to reboot.

7. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

cs labbies would shit themselves if they saw you reboot a linux or unix machine

8. tony

tony Guest

its also quicker to double click an icon on a USB stick, than to reboot and load a linux livecd.

9. Penguin Man

No, they remain pretty calm. They just come find you or send you an email to find out why you rebooted it. If you don't have a good reason, they give you a warning or turn off your account.

10. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Truth.

To make it even easier you could use a VBscript to launch FireFox, have it loop until the FireFox.exe program exits, and then have it perform the same function as the batch file.