Firefox 0.9 released

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Aimless, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

woohoo

3. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

sweet.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Any important differences from .8?

5. Zourn

as far as functionability goes, not really. There is a new Extension manager and themes manager, and the themes now change the entire browser, not just the icons.

EDIT: Fuck what I just said, .9 is a lot faster than .8, and doesn't do that bog down thing when the page is full of huge gifs. Definantly another large step in the right direction (as each update has been). :bigthumb:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  6. dem0n697

dem0n697 Comfortably Numb

Well.... When i get done formatting this computer, it will be on there :hs:

7. Zourn

What's New

Here are the news in this release of Firefox:

* New Default Theme

An updated Default Theme now presents a uniform appearance across all three platforms - a new crisp, clear look for Windows users. Finetuning for GNOME will follow in future releases.
    * Comprehensive Data Migration

Switching to Firefox has never been easier now that Firefox imports data like Favorites, History, Settings, Cookies and Passwords from Internet Explorer. Firefox can also import from Mozilla 1.x, Netscape 4.x, 6.x and 7.x and Opera. MacOS X and Linux migrators for browsers like Safari, OmniWeb, Konqueror etc will arrive in future releases.
    * Extension/Theme Manager

New Extension and Theme Managers provide a convenient way to manage and update your add-ons. SmartUpdate also notifies you of updates to Firefox.
    * Smaller Download

Windows users will find Firefox is now only 4.6MB to download.
    * Help

A new online help system is available
    * Lots of bug fixes and improvements

Copy Image, the ability to delete individual items from Autocomplete lists, SMB/SFTP support on GNOME via gnome-vfs, better Bookmarks, Search and many other refinements fine tune the browsing experience.

8. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

One thing I've discovered about v0.9 is that you should probably uninstall v0.8 first and then install the new one from scratch. I had trouble installing the Googlebar extension when I tried updating without uninstalling first. I went ahead and uninstalled the old, reinstalled the new, and everything works peachy now.

9. phoenix0583

phoenix0583 New Member

I just downloaded FireFox for the first time (first time I've really looked at it too) must say its seems pretty slick so far. Popup blocking and google search built-in... I really liked when I ran it for the first time and was able to just transfer all my bookmarks, history & settings from IE straight over.

:bigthumb:

10. Aphot

Aphot Guest

I just updated today when I looked at their site, I like Firefox over any other browser. Go firefox!!

11. Zourn

Damn, you'd be amazed at the things they put in the instructions.

12. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

I didn't even read the instructions. :uh: I didn't even think to look for instructions until you said something. I just downloaded the setup.exe and installed it. When the install program didn't complain, neither did I. :dunno:

13. HuntingFork

HuntingFork Eating Five Batteries

Firefox definitely rules. I'll have to check that out. :bigthumb:

14. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

better than opera?

15. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Doesn't Opera have like a huge banner ad at the top of the browser? Last time I tried Opera, I thought it was alright until that damn banner starting showing up...

16. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

yeah it does. i have the old version still so the banner is just in the top right corner...and i got used to it. ill probably check this firefox stuff out though just for comparison's sake.

17. drewski_amk

drewski_amk Guest

yeah, firefox is worth the move, 'specially since the ad bar on opera keeps getting bigger and bigger

18. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I liked Opera for the speed, truly the fastest browser I've ever used, but there's just too many pages it doesn't handle properly. I've been using Firefox since .7 (currently on .9) and its much more reliable.

19. twofaze

twofaze H.N.I.C.

i like the new release so far...

20. Zourn

I doubt that Opera (or any browser) is faster than Firefox .9, it's just so quick like a fox!

21. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

i just installed this. i like it except for two things so far. maybe you guys can help shed some light. first of all, the cursur, like the one in this box where im typing my reply is not like a normal cursur. its rather thick, and doesnt so much blink off and on than it does flash in a siezure-inducing manner. also, for some reason, every once in a while a page loads and the entire page jumps up and down. like im quickly scrolling up and then down, up, down...except the scroll bar jumps too. any ideas about this? i like the layout otherwise and the features seem pretty similiar to opera's (from what ive seen so far)

22. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i have this problem with firefox .9

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;821692

on a windows xp box...after reinstalling it a number of times (and yes i completely uninstalled and removed firefox .8 before installing)...so now i'm back to using .8 because .9 gives me the "locate link browser" message when i try to open an email with outlook 2003

if i DO go ahead and find the executable file for my browser, and i click a link in outlook, 2 firefox windows will open, both with the same link opened

23. Brian

Brian New Member

what if you got custom skins on your firefox .8 will they change back to normal?

cause it took me a long time to make it look like osx and safari wouldnt want 2 do that again

24. Zourn

I was gonna say that my cursor is fat but doesn't do the intense-yo-blinking thing, but on the advanced reply page it does. Must be something to do with the WYSIWYG editor.

The jumping also happens to me when i load a page link with a # link. First it loads the layout/text, then jumps to the anchor, then loads all background/foreground/imbedded pics, then (if the lodaing of pics caused a change in the size of the area above the anchor, thus causing the anchor to be lower than it previously was) it will jump to the anchor once again.

25. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

ok well my cursor stoppe flashing so thats good. also, the page jump thing is supposedly fixed if you put a bookmars folder (not just a single bookmark) into your bookmarks toobar along with whatever other bookmarks you have there. thats annoying but oh well. i installed the tab browser extensions extension and added a bookmarks folder to the toolbar and the pages dont jump anymore.