GUN Firearm Safety

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 2C4L, Apr 19, 2005.

1. 2C4L

2C4L New Member

Hey guys, i'm doing an informative speech in my Speech and Rhetoric class on firearm safety, and i was wondering if you guys could provide perhaps the top 10 or most important rules of firearm safety, for my reference. Thanks!

2. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

taken from ar15.com

Rule 1
    ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

The only exception to this occurs when you have a firearm in your hands and you have personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as you put it down, Rule 1 applies again.

Rule 2
    NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY

You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

Rule 3
    KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

Rule 4
    BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT

You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

what he said

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Here are a few more rules.

Know how to use the gun safely.
    Before handling a gun, learn how it operates. Know its basic parts, how to safely open and close the action and remove any ammunition from the gun or magazine. Remember, a gun's mechanical safety device is never foolproof. Nothing can ever replace safe gun handling.

Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
    Just like other tools, guns need regular maintenance to remain operable. Regular cleaning and proper storage are a part of the gun's general upkeep. If there is any question concerning a gun's ability to function, a knowledgeable gunsmith should look at it.

Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
    Only BBs, pellets, cartridges or shells designed for a particular gun can be fired safely in that gun. Most guns have the ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Ammunition can be identified by information printed on the box and sometimes stamped on the cartridge. Do not shoot the gun unless you know you have the proper ammunition.

Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
    Guns are loud and the noise can cause hearing damage. They can also emit debris and hot gas that could cause eye injury. For these reasons, shooting glasses and hearing protectors should be worn by shooters and spectators.

Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while shooting.
    Alcohol, as well as any other substance likely to impair normal mental or physical bodily functions, must not be used before or while handling or shooting guns.

Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
    Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

Cleaning
    Regular cleaning is important in order for your gun to operate correctly and safely. Taking proper care of it will also maintain its value and extend its life. Your gun should be cleaned every time that it is used.
    A gun brought out of prolonged storage should also be cleaned before shooting. Accumulated moisture and dirt, or solidified grease and oil, can prevent the gun from operating properly.

Before cleaning your gun, make absolutely sure that it is unloaded. The gun's action should be open during the cleaning process. Also, be sure that no ammunition is present in the cleaning area.

5. oakie

oakie my ninja.

rule #2 applies in all instances, loaded or unloaded, thus negating your complaint about rule #1. this is why rule #2 does not specify the gun's condition.

your complaint about rule #1 would be more for cops than anyone else. in a "textbook" CCW situation, if i drew my gun, my target will be dead or critically injured otherwise i shouldnt have drawn. but since we do live in the real world, if i have to cover my target and not shoot, i will in no way approach my target and will continue to stand my ground until LE arrive to take over the situation.

i have absolutely no right or jurisdiction to approach the surrendered assailant to clear him of weapons or detain him unless directed to do so by a LE agent.

besides, if i'm no longer "ready to destroy" my target, then rule #2 applies along with rule #3.

i understand your desire to nit-pick just about anything you didnt already think of yourself, but these 4 rules, when understood accordingly, are concise and effective for *most* cases.

6. san408

san408 New Member

Do not ever utter the words "I'm the only person in this room professional enough to handle a firearm" or something like that... :big grin:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Nope, but I did tell the cadets I have instructed in the past that making assumptions will bite you in the ass :)

Those are from the NRA's website btw.

8. murph38_99

murph38_99 OG Silver Member

do not check for dental plaque with you weapon light, while attached to weapon

9. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10. 2C4L

2C4L New Member

Hey guys, thanks for tips, i'm open to more if you guys got it! Thanks :love:

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Unless of course you are a criminal and want to look your best right before your burglary :)

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

The first three rules are designed in such a manner than any one of them can fail, and no one will get hurt. If any two of them fail, things can get ugly. Usually, though, it's a failure of all of them at once. There are no accidental discharges, only negligent discharges.

13. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

There are accidental discharges too. Just not that often.

14. footratfunkface

No. If your firearm discharges, and you didn't intend for it to do so, that's negligence. It takes a gross omission or comission to make a firearm do that. You have to be a freaking retard, even if for but a moment.

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I have witnessed a pistol go off while sitting alone on the shooting bench due to a piece malfunctioning due to a stress fracture. A gun is just a metal mechanism that deals with explosive stress each shot. Sometimes this causes fatigue in the parts that cannot be seen unless you examine them under microscopes.
    What happened was the hammer cracked where the sear mated up. The tongue cracked, hammer released and bang. So yes, there are such things as accidental discharges and now you know.

16. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What about a slam fire... I'd consider that an accidental discharge...

17. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

broken or jammed firing pins happen :)

18. footratfunkface

I consider myself corrected. The discharge of a firearm due to NOT following these rules is negligent. How's that?