GUN firearm pet peeves

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paul Revere, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i was thinking about this just now and realizing that there are a lot of things that people say when discussing firearms that really irk me.

first and foremost, the word "shottie/shotty". :mad: its a fucking shotgun.

secondly, when referring to a 9mm they just call it a "9" :rant:

what are some things that piss you guys off? i know theres the old-as-time, clip vs. magazine but that doesnt really get to me as bad as the ones i just mentioned.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

this can also be extended to stupid things people do, but those are mostly safety issues. i'm really getting at topics of conversation that just piss you off :hs:

3. I hate it when people that don't know a damn thing about guns talk about "assault weapons," "machine guns," "sniper rifles," and "AK-47s."

4. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Nah, none of that really bothers me. I call my shotgun a shotty on occasion. :hs:

The misconceptions on the other hand when dealing with the ignorant, thats a different story. "9mm won't put a BG down, it has no stopping power." :ugh: I even had a friend who doesn't own guns flat out tell me that I couldn't own my AR. :uh:

That shit is retarded.

5. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Five-Seven or USP for home defense?

6. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Californians exporting their shitty police state laws to national politics and other states.

:io:

7. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

fucking word:rofl:

8. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

while some of that stuff gets under my skin i try not to let it bother me.

i'd much rather spend my time trying to get someone interested in shooting rather than correcting them, or getting upset by incorrect "slang".

but that's just me. :)

9. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Yeah this is what gets me. I remember the anti-gun girl from that 30 Days episode who said a bolt action .50 rifle was a "machine gun." :uh:

10. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.9) VZW:SCH-i760 PPC 240x320)

the phrase "knock down power"

11. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

I understand brand loyalty, but I cant stand it when people look at you with such disdain when you dont use their firearm.

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

and when they guy had two 20" ARs

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:mamoru: thats why more than one gun company exists

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I hate it when people don't know modern terminal ballistics and talk about it anyway.

15. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

The shotgun myths piss me off. You know, the "you just have to rack the slide and the bad guy will shit himself and run away crying" and the "just point it in the general direction, you don't actually have to aim."

I actually heard both from one of my instructors yesterday :ugh:

16. sprite

sprite Active Member

Hey pal, I may knot no much abowt "modern terminal ballistics", butt I kan tell yue that the 5.7x28 is the purfect instrewment of deth.

17. tehganj

tehganj oh, hi.

idiots carrying.. this isn't the wild west anymore... :hsugh:

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:rofl: Almost exactly what I had in mind strangely enough.

I also hate it when people don't know firearms and don't know history and come up with these crazy hollywood inspired "wild west" ideas. I don't care if you know about guns but at least learn some fucking history.

19. I think journalists should have to "qualify" in whatever area they report. If you are writing articles about guns, you should have to attend some gun classes so you know what the hell you're talking about. Same goes with cars, the economy, etc... I'm sick of seeing the dumbest shit written and reported just because some ignorant journalist got some bad info from another ignorant/biased person, and then reported it as fact.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Number one pet peeve is people who don't know what the hell their talking about bashing California. Yes there are some stupid gun laws but California does not have a monopoly on that look at new york, Washington dc, new jersey, Hawaii, Chicago, etc. Many of these places are worse but it is easy to bash on California. There are gun grabbing politicians everywhere not just California. Southern California and Phoenix are the two competition shooting meccas in the united states. IPSC was invented here, the uspsa president lives and shoots here, and we have 50-100+ shooters per match, matches on every Saturday and Sunday in various disciplines, and various clubs. You can shoot a match every Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday year round. If California is so bad how is it that I have a AR and a AK and I shoot 50,000+ rounds a year. The shooters in California are sick of your ignorant shit talking and we are some of the most active and vocal pro gun advocates. We fight the good fight.

I dislike the shotgun myths, you don't need to aim a shotgun, shotguns shoot 12' patterns at 12 feet, sawed off shotguns shoot wider patterns, racking a shotgun makes bad guys crap their pants.

The whole glock 40 kB thing irks me as well. Any gun can kB if you use bad ammo and don't clean your guns.

People who post threads about wanting one shotgun or rifle that they can use for self defense, competition, hunting, sporting clays, concealed carry, opening beer bottles, and finding studs in the wall. A gun is a tool and for each job you need the right tool.

Railed hand guards on AR's. I think they are stupid, heavy, expensive, and they put all the accessories in the wrong spot. Your only mounting options are 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock which is not ideal for flashlights, or secondary optics. Also most people don't put anything on their AR's so they get the rails and then some kind of ladder or cover to cover them so they don't rip up their hands.

All this ballistic nonsense. Ammo marketing defensive bullet of the month, 45 acp is king, blah blah blah. It is all about shot placement. A 9mm ball ammo placed properly will stop anybody dead. A poor shot with a $5 per round super expanding tiger kung fu 45 p+p+p+ hollow point is just going to piss a bad guy off.

OK I think I need to get something to eat. Kind of cranky.

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Idiots at the range who have unsafe practices, and ones who think they know everything, or come up and make dumb statements or ask stupid questions. Almost everytime i shoot my underfolder ak at the range some moran has to come up tell me its illegal.

People who say clip instead of mag.

22. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

People at gun shows who walk around with their finger on the trigger of the gun they just bought. Same with gun store employees.

23. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

That all gun owners are violent/hillbillys/rednecks/etc...

I had a friend claim I was violent (very much the opposite) just because I owned guns... :ugh2:

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:bowdown:

25. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

It pisses me off when I hear that the police raid people's homes wrongfully and the homeowner ends up being innocent yet they still take away all the legal firearms and hold them for a long ass time.