GUN Firearm Drills... Dry Fire and Live

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bigsnake, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What are your normal dry fire drills you do at home as well as what kind of things do you practice on the range?

Most of the time at home I just dry fire and work on trigger control. Making sure to squeeze that trigger and not jerk it. One thing I dislike about the Glock and XD w/ dry fires is you have to rack the slide everytime to reset the trigger.

On the range I'm usually working on groups, one handed, and draw N fire. The book I just got on Shackle's recommendation has some drills in the back I'm going to start doing too.

Sometimes if I'm the only one there, then I'll setup several targets at different ranges to shoot at. Also shooting while moving and reloads.

Wish I could get a shot timer cheap so I could track improvement :o

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I shoot at black people, because they run fast and make good moving targets. Also, kittens are fun, because they 'splode.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Well, the first thing is to make sure you don't get confused on which one you are doing. That can suck.

Since I rarely carry (since I can't carry in my home state so I have to gear up after I leave IL and pack up before I return) I practice sight picture and trigger pull. Mainly to be sure I'm not flinching or anticipating the hammer fall and recoil. I never did this when I was shooting rifles but I find myself doing it sometimes when I'm shooting my hand guns.

At the range it's groupings and grip. Oh, and playing where's the bullet with my p38 (that thing has a mind of it's own).

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Did I mention how WMD provides such valuable firearm related information and we're the envy of other firearm related message boards in the wealth of information we contain?

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I thought WMD was here to refer people to AR15.com for actual information :mamoru:

6. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'd rather have one board where questions can be answered instead of having to go to a bunch of different ones

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

thats called "single action" :hsugh:

and you dont have to rack it all the way to reset the trigger, just a half inch or so

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Yeah... because I didn't know what it was called... :ugh:

And why would I practice racking the slide only an inch every time... Aren't you suppose to practice like you fight? If I ever get a failure, I'm going to want to rack it all the way. It's also the reason I don't practice with my S&W 915 because I won't ever be carrying it even though I could do two dry fires in a row without manipulation of the slide... and since you like proper terminology ohh great physics major, The S&W 915 is easier to dry fire quickly because it is a SA/DA handgun.

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:mb:

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Sorry to upset you General Krott8635

11. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:squint:

12. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

normally when we do skills and drills we start off with these:

1) shoot 2 mags on your own time focusing on trigger control
    2) shoot 2 mags for trigger reset (releasing the trigger just enough to reset the sear contact)
    3) alternate drills of single and double taps focusing on trigger reset and re-aquiring the target
    4) eyes up (2 targets side-by-side. sight one target then shift your eyes to the other. In one motion, turn your head and pistol and fire at the second target. Alternating targets using your eyes to lead back and forth.

13. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

They let you do that on a public range?

14. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

they let you do whatever you want when you have a gun in your hands :kdubb:

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't do dry firing drills much anymore at home. Public range, I do groups, one handed and draw n fire doubt taps. If I'm up at my uncles on his property, I'll do pistol and rifle drills with multiple targets, he's got an old caddy way out back we shot up and a bunch of those military type upper torso solider targets i can setup for practicing my tactical stuff.

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

wouldnt fly at my range have to stay behind the line or you'll be asked to leave.

17. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

There is no range master or anything out there? The one range I went to in a public area you had to have a hunting license just to enter the park and the range you had to pay to use, bring your own target frames, and there was a range master.

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wish we had some like that here, no limit to how many rounds at outdoor range but they dont allow rapid fire which can be a pain if your practicing drills. Indoor range says no rapid fire either but everyone does it with handguns and rangemaster never says anything he's in another room watching on camera anyway.

19. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

'

must be state gamelands..

thats how the gamelands are around here.. 3 in a rifle, no rapid fire.

"hold on officer, just let me finish bump firing this drum mag"

:mamoru2:

20. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

whoops, didnt read :mamoru2:

i used to go there, but its about 20 minutes from my house.. so I got a membership at a place about 3 minutes away :wiggle:

a lot less people there too, most of the time, im the only one there.. even the day before deer season, only two other people :bowdown:

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They probably wouldnt of said nothing I've shot at my indoor range with cops and done rapid fire and had more loaded in rifles then I should of.

22. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The one indoor range I go to I've seen them go tell people for super rapid fire. like just pulling the trigger as fast as you can. If you're doing rapid but slow enough they know you're aiming and not hitting the ceiling/walls, then they won't say anything.