Fire Fighting Career

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Smooth Criminal, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smooth Criminal

Smooth Criminal New Member

@@Didn't know where to post this. If is better suited for another forum please move@@

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] Whats up everyone..i'm a 23 y/o male and looking to become a Firemen.

I've got Military experience (Not as a firemen) and am currently taking a Fire Science 101 class at a local community college. I want to get (at least) a technical certificate in Fire Science. I plan on volunteering also.

What else would you guys recommend to increase my odds as making it as a paid firemen? i'm looking to you guys (the experts) so that I can make this transition as easy i can.

I would also like to land a job away from my hometown. Somewhere in a bigger city. Any advice on that? To find out where they are hiring and whatnot.

I'm looking for books, testing advice, tips, audio, common newbie mistakes.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    [/font]

2. Grouch

Grouch Guest

In california at least you need a real education 120+ units to get on as a piad fireman. It is competative as hell out here. A certificate wont get you very far at all, maaaaaybe an unpaid volunteer.

3. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

4. Smooth Criminal

Damn Grouch thats crazy. I'm not in Cali but wouldn't be opposed to a job out there. I wonder if it is just as competitive in other states. Because I thought a Tech Certificate paired with volunteering and my Military experience would get me in as a PAID guy somewhere. Obviously I need to score high on the tests and whatnot and I'm a pretty charming guy so the interview will be a breeze.

G n P thanks pimpin. I'll check those places out..but i like the vibe of OT better.

5. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

In AZ it's very competative also some people wait a year or more before getting hired after passing the physical.

6. Smooth Criminal

denial -

I thought about it but it may take a little more time then I am willing to invest. Ideally by this time next year I would like to be a paid fire fighter somewhere or at the very least in recruit training to be one.

Just curious, why not volunteer? Wouldn't it look better on my resume and give me more experience? Not trying to be a dickhead because I don't reallly know much about how the system works so hopefully you can offer some more insight.

Also what are the standard hours for a firefighter 1 day on 2 days off?

7. Smooth Criminal

exactly pimpin. and i'll be 24 in late OCTOBER so I don't want to be dicking around with this shit for a long time. i have been told my military service will be a major plus..and im also not restricted to one certain hometown fire dept. i'm definitely open to relocation. that will leave me plenty of options.

as far as volunteering..i think that some fire deptartments want to train you "THEIR WAY" and if you've been volunteering at another DEPT. the place that hires you might have to possibly untrain you and then train you on the way they do things. thats just my arm chair breakdown. who knows.

speaking of which i guess there are some services on the web that will tell you when departments are hiring...you know of any? are they a good idea? they cost like 100 bones.

8. Accordinly Done

Accordinly Done OT Supporter

Firefighting in very competitive everywhere. Don't waste yout time with the degree. Worry about that later when you want to be a white shirt. Start your emt and become a vollie at the same time. After EMT start the academy. After that try to get a job and start on Paramedic school. All depts. want and need paramedics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.