Finished! GSXR mirrors on a CBR

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dr.zed, Oct 28, 2007.

1. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

Well I finally did this mod! I bought a set of knock off GSXR mirrors from eBay at a reasonable price. $70 US for the pair.

When they arrived I knew that they were ONLY signal lights. Well I wanted running lights AND signal lights so apart they went. I REALLY hit some snags getting the mounting arms to work with the CBR. There was NO way they were mounting and actually being functional. I thought the project was done right at the end, but I figured out what to do.

I'll explain below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the stock bulb and socket from the new mirrors. Only two wires, because it is a signal light only.
    [​IMG]

Literally pull the bulb and the metal socket will pop out of the plastic container.
    [​IMG]

Bought a "socket" pigtail set. Note whether the base has an offset pattern or not for the nubs on the bulb
    [​IMG]

See the difference in the new and old socket. I pulled out my trusty dremmel and matched the plastic opening to the metal socket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now you have a socket for running and turn signal in the proper base for the new mirrors.
    [​IMG]

Use the existing two wires for the positive (running and signal) and added a ground.
    [​IMG]

2. dr.zed

DONE!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note, I decided right at the end I was going to take a hammer to my stock mirrors and removed the "arm" from the stock CBR handle and then attached it with the hardware from the CBR arm to new mirror. Not a perfect match, but it was the ONLY way that the mirror will be remotely useful. The angle on the GSXR mounting is SO far off I was going to scratch the whole project there.

I must say I again am impressed with the made in Taiwan knock off light assemblies I've been purchasing. They're not nearly as bad or cheap as you'd think.

3. Corky

Corky I lent Jesus $20

most guys try to streamline their bikes

nice work though

4. dr.zed

By removing the mirrors?

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Just the guy I wanted to talk to.

Was it easy to remove the GSXR mirror from the stalk in order to place it on the CBR hardware? How are they held on, ball joint and you just pull to separate?

Others I've spoken to have retrofit the 06+ mirrors onto older bikes, they all came out sideways.

6. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

How much for your stock mirrors?

7. dew

dew Banned

8. dr.zed

First off... stock mirrors will 9 times out of 10 need to be smashed to kingdom come to get at the hardware inside. One 10mm nut and holding the arm removes the stock CBR shaft from the stock CBR mirror assembly. Of course, after you smash the shit out of it to get behind the glass.

Second, I bought aftermarket gixxer mirrors so the hardware holding the arm and mirror assembly may differ. On the aftermarket unit you take out the signal light and there is an 8mm bolt that is easy to loosen with a box wrench then it will come out with your hand. The more difficult is a philips head bolt that is VERY close to the mirror. I used a flex joint plus a phillips end to break it loose then it came out.

Then the gixxer shaft will separate and leave you with a metal retainer which you will reuse like a washer.

The stock CBR shaft once you remove the 10 mm nut behind the mirror will contain a small spring to keep pressure on the mirror assembly and arm keeping it tight and not vibrating around. Also a ball so the mirror can move about. You reuse ALL of this through the gixxer metal retainer. Very obvious when you get there.

You WILL have to look closely to see that the arm and mirror weren't meant for each other, but it really doesn't look bad. I was going to scrap the whole project but am very pleased. I can take closer pix if you like?

9. dr.zed

SRSLY when I got to the point where I just couldn't reuse the gixxer arms, even after an hour of grinding down one side to fit INTO the stock CBR arm holder I was going to say screw it, and consider the $70 a project gone bad.

Then I decided for shits and giggles I'd try putting the two together.

It took a final ditch effort to take a sledge to the stock mirrors to see what was behind.... it paid off.