Finished 03 Jetta handsfree with OEM head unit.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dr.zed, Aug 30, 2008.

1. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

I've been impressed with the new vehicles and their automatic pairing of bluetooth phones and muting the factory stereo automatically when a call comes in and then having the audio deliver through the stereo.

As it turns out many of our MKIV stereos have a telephone and mute function built in! The Motorola T605 ties directly into this with an available harness.
    First off I haven't heard what it sounds like on the other end. Most people can't tell, my wife says I sound distant. Going to have to play with mic location. Its awesome when I'm pumping some NWA or Bob Segar to not miss calls anymore. The stereo mutes and you can hear a ring. The volume of the stereo can be different than that of the phone (controlled on the deck, just crank up the volume on your phone) and it remembers the different volumes. Your bass and treble settings for stereo use are discarded and a neutral setting is used for the callers.

The T605 can have two active bluetooth connections, but I have yet to play with that (I have two phones) to get it to work properly, so I'm only using one phone on the system. It automatically pairs when you get in the car and the system is energized. Also, there is a bluetooth music mode which I have not played with yet. My FM modulated Sirius is a PITA to get a clear signal so I'm going to get a stand alone bluetooth audio transmitter attached to the audio out of the Sirius and then use the T605 music mode to listen clearly the Sirius. Otherwise options are complicated with my Phatbox.
    Now to the pix!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice the earlier overhead console for the Jetta/Golf has a small section that looks like a mic would go into it? I found that at a scrap yard for $20 and used it to hide the T605 mic.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You should get the overhead cluster from the W8 Passat; it's got the same opening as well as red LEDs that give a nice ambient lighting effect to the center console area.