F'ing Windows Update (wireless question)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GoldRanger, Jan 6, 2004.

1. GoldRanger

GoldRanger New Member

if anyone can offer quick help, i appreciate greatly

Problem -

XP Pro

Fresh Install

Installed Wireless USB adapter, internet was fine. Auto Connected to Linksys home network

XP Pro

SP1 + updates

Reboot

Wireless USB adapter installed, but keep getting the "One or more wireless networks available" message

Click to connect to my home message

Stupid fucking message keeps popping up

Everytime i click to connect, loads, and stupid fucking message keeps coming back and wont connect

This did the same thing on my desktop

Does anyone know wtf this is? I tried to reinstall my USB adapter = no good :wtc:

2. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

I sometimes pick up my neighbors wireless network, and I will have to click that message ballon and deselect my neighbors network and reselect mine.

3. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

What brand and model wireless device? Both the Router & the NIC please.

4. GoldRanger

GoldRanger New Member

Generic USB wireless B adapter

Linksys B wireless router

Dell Inspiron

like i said, pre-install of SP1 it worked fine

after SP1 + crucial updates = fo0ked

5. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

Yeah I get this problem off and on - nothing really seems to fix it consistently or permanently other than playing around with it for a while by selecting the correct network and re-entering WEP, SSID, etc. information (sometimes this seems to get corrupter).

I tried once to sit down and resolve this problem once and for all and from what I can tell, it is related to Windows' built-in wireless zero configuration thing and there is no way to disable this and have wireless work. I did a lot of research but all I found were a bunch of other people who were frustrated with this "feature" who have no choice but to put up with it.

Hopefully it will be fixed in SP2 but I could not find a Microsoft acknowledgment of the problem so I'm not holding my breath.

6. Scoob_13

Unless there's a new brand called Generic, supplying us with the actual brand and model can allow us to see if there's an actual fix for it - so either don't be lazy and supply us with the information, or don't ask for help.

Love,
    Me.

7. Scoob_13

Now, as for what Mugatu said, this is correct. I've even seen exactly what you're talking about with Microsoft's own USB-based wireless devices.

Most notably it happens with USB devices, which causes me to believe that it's an issue with upgraded USB drivers and the Wireless drivers, and I have a gut feeling that it's due to an issue between the power management feature of the USB drivers, however I have not been successful in getting an answer back from Microsoft regarding the matter.

Now, again, more information about the device would be appreciated, because if that particular company has a fix hidden away in some weird part of their website, or if some guys on a newsgroup have the same problem with the same device and find a solution, that information can help us assist you.