SRS Fine from breaking the gas pump .v Wawa

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by silverdz07, Aug 28, 2009.

1. silverdz07

silverdz07 New Member

About two weeks ago, I went to a Wawa gas station with three friends. I was driving and I pulled up. Here in NJ attendants pump the gas for you. So, the attendant came up to me and I told him to give me 20$ worth and that I will pay with cash. I also told him that I needed a receipt. The odd thing is he wanted my money right away, but he seemed new so I gave it to him. He set the pump up and left for no less than ten minutes. He comes back and gives me the receipt. I say thank you and turn the car on right in front of him. He doesn't say anything and just walks away. I start to drive away and the pump hose was still in and broke off. Store manager came out, didn't even want to hear what happened and took all my information.

I always go to the same gas station and the guy was new. I also always ask for a receipt and they always give it to me after everything is over and done with as with any other store any of us have been too. Now today, I got a letter from Wawa stating that I owe them 1000$ for the pump repairs. Should I be responsible for the bill even though I received the reciept and the attendant, as I see it anyways, was negligent? I tried calling the number on the bill 3 times and no one is answering me. What should I do?

EDIT: The case was dropped against me after the Wawa's risk management department found the attended to be a fault.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. this is one of the many reasons new jersey sucks.

3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

This bunch of lazy fucks can't even pump their own gas :rofl:

I would call up wawa corporate its not your fault some dumb fuck gas station attendant forgot to remove the hose from your car, and no way they cost $1000 to replace I'm pretty sure they have some kind of "break away" in the hose so the entire pump isn't going with it

4. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

so you didn't notice the pump hanging out of the side of your car ?

5. 7960

7960 New Member

they should, but that doesn't mean there wasn't any damage.

I'm torn between feeling the guy should be responsible for the damage because he's responsible for making sure his car is safe to drive, and thinking Wawa is responsible because NJ requires gas to be pumped.

I wouldn't pay. Make them sue you. Worst case, you lose and still have to pay.

6. GTP

GTP New Member

To me it sounds like the attendant was negligent and it is his fault. I am no lawyer.

7. planeh

planeh Guest

Is what you posted, exactly how it happened? As in:
    To me, that sounds like he came around while the pump was still going, gave you the receipt and walked away...its POSSIBLE he heard your car turn over, which does NOT necessarily indicate you will be driving away. Since he had already walked way, there was no way of telling YOU that the pump was still connected to your car as its possible his back was to your car.

To ME, it seems as though you are equally responsible. Now you stated that
    and was
    It is YOUR responsibility to be aware of your cars surroundings, and could it be possible that you were talking/goofing with your friends and didn't pay 100% attention? Would you also know if the pump had stopped? What if the pump hadn't, which was the reason the attendant didn't remove the pump in the first place. considering you've been to that station more than once (we can assume) you would know the procedure and if he just handed you the receipt and walked away without saying anything (as you stated) why would you drive away?

Timing: You said that it was NO LESS than 10 minutes in the store, which would indicate that the pump had FINISHED pumping gas into your car. However, this could be a case of your word against his, and if he indicates that all he did was go inside and print your receipt that could all be done in the time while the pump is still operating. 10 minutes is a LONG time, perhaps you were talking with your friends and didn't quite know the exact amount of time that passed.

You better hope there was a camera with time stamps on it that will prove your 10 minutes. Although it doesn't change the fact that you should still be aware of your cars surroundings.

8. Daria

Daria New Member

If someone is giving you full service, it's their job to get the pump in and OUT of the car...

I don't see how this is the customer's fault.

9. planeh

planeh Guest

So If I go to a full service station and when he immediately puts the pump in my car I can drive off? ...but I thought it was done :hsughno:

10. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Dude it does not cost a 1000 bucks. It costs less than 100 to fix. They are trying to get you

11. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

It's not like he even choose to get full service, it's the LAW in Jersey.

I wouldn't pay them shit. The attendant failed to do his job, and it resulted in damage to thier equiptment, his fucking problem, not yours.

12. Daria

Daria New Member

that's not what happened

13. silverdz07

silverdz07 New Member

There was no way the pump was still going and the being said when I turned on the car I had all my gas. When the pump ripped no gas spilled. Also, in NJ you are not allowed to have you car on while the gas is pumped. Let me clarify the three friends. It was my sisters fiancee and his two friends. I was driving them back from the airport and it was somewhat awkward in the car since I don't really know them that well. I just watched the time go by.

I have about 50 receipts from there over the last two years since I save them all. The procedure is always like this. You get there, they ask what what you want and how you are paying, they set up the pump, you wait, they take out the pump, you give them the money, they go and get you the receipt. It kinda like the supermarket where you pay after everything has been accounted for and then receive your receipt. Would you even think twice after you receive the receipt about the pump still being in the car?

14. planeh

planeh Guest

Its a time dispute. Your word against someone who wants to keep their job. Unless there is a video with a time stamp thats how its going to happen.

From what I know about gas pumps, there is a lever that will release the trigger if and when something like this occurs to prevent any gas from spilling everywhere. Depending on how new the pumps were, they should all be outfitted as such.

This COULD work against you, considering that you've been there 50 times then you're expecting the same outcome each time. By him asking for the money prior to pumping was against your expectations and therefore could be argued that you also assumed that once you received your receipt that the pump was done.

Also, what side of the car is the tank on? You could argue that if it wasn't on the drivers side there was no way of you knowing that the pump was complete and assumed it was based on receiving your receipt and the attendant walking away that it was done. but again its going to be that you should be aware of your cars surroundings.

15. silverdz07

silverdz07 New Member

I just spoke to their risk management department and they reviewed the tapes. They are dropping the case against me and told me that I am not at fault.

16. planeh

planeh Guest

:bigthumb:

17. nice now all they gotta drop is gas station attendants, guido's, and jug handle turns for nj to be appealing.

18. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Just a guess on my part, but if they're taking responsibility for pumping the gas, that would include returning the nozzle to the pump. I bet the owner was just trying to intimidate you into paying for their error. Here in Cali, this would go to Small Claims Court due to the value of the dispute.

19. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Sorry, didn't read that first b4 I replied. :ugh2:

20. quamen

quamen New Member

if you cant pump the gas yourself and he gave you the receipt, that means the transaction is over with. IT is the attendants job to remove the nozzle after the service is completed, that is what full service means, start to finish obviously. I would make sure nothing is wrong with your gas neck etc, in case anything case loose or whatever, that would be their fault.

21. jonno

jonno New Member

no way i'd pay for that.

22. 7960

7960 New Member

small claims is an option. it wouldn't automatically go there just because it was $1k.

23. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

:hsugh: for anyone thats been to jersey you would know you can't pump your own gas they yell at you if you try...you pull up give them your car say fill er up when they're done they give your card back that means he's done pumping the gas and they should be responsible for removing the pump

24. Daria

Daria New Member

:h5: :bigthumb: