Fine Cut cleaner by hand? Random Orbital?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dbman96, Jun 8, 2004.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Trying to give my WRX a good shine up before the summer, and found that I've got some SERIOUSLY baked on waterspots on the hood... generous application of vinegar and clay bar don't budge them, so I think I need to do some real paint cleaning. I picked up the Fine Cut cleaner but noticed it says ONLY FOR USE WITH ROTARY BUFFERS... now I have a little 6" cheap random orbital polisher but I know that's not the same thing... but it seems from the stickies that you allow for hand application of all these recommended products. Will I be able to hand-buff my problems away? Should I try my random orbital or will that make things worse?

I plan on going from the #2 Fine Cut to the #7 Show Car glaze and finish off with S100 over the top. Seem reasonable?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You can use the #2, then #7. I would suggest Vanilla Moose over #7, though. Yes, you should be able to take out water spots by hand with those products.

3. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. The only place I have to buy supplies is a GHETTO Kragen (/Shucks/whatever else) and these were the only two "pro" level products on their shelf; I was just hoping i don't need to go spend $200 on a buffer just yet. :bigthumb:

4. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Reading a little more it seems that the fine cut is aggressive enough that it will be making some marks of its own... will the #7 be sufficient to tidy this up or do I need something like a swirl remover product in the process?

I have a feeling my arms are going to be TIRED.

Just to double-check: rotary buffer > hand-application > cheap orbital buffer?

5. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

OK, I'm hoping someone will jump in here and help me make sure I'm on the right track...

On lunch break I went out and did a small waterspotted section with the fine cut cleaner; microfiber towel application and removal; forward and back motion. With sufficient working of the cleaner, I did get the spots out, but it left VERY clearly defined microscratches, almost a hazing, in the direction of application. Will this come out with teh #7 show car glaze?

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

#9 Swirl Remover should remove the fine scratches. #7 is polishing oils with no real abrasives.

The microscratches are the reason #2 is for rotary only. It needs the heat generated by the rotary to break down the abrasives properly. A better solution would be to pick up a bottle of ColorX which is designed to be used by hand.

7. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

aha. :wtc:

Perhaps I'll try to return the #2 and pick up something else instead.

8. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:doh: My bad, I was thinking #9, but saying #2.

9. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

D'oh!

So should I be moving to the #9 or change my assault and go to something like a DACP?

10. Robb

Robb Guest

Yes, use 9, if that doesnt cut it go to dacp. A long time ago i tried 2 by hand and it left marring of its own, that not even 9 could take out. It is NOT meant to be used by hand.

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

#2 us made to buff out sanding scratches its pretty agresive when i was learnign how to use i burnt through alot with it so if you have a beater practice on it first :p

as said before start with #9 if that wont do it use dacp then #9 then #7 then a good wax and it will stay shiny for a long time this is my usual routine on customers cars

12. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

The #2 was definitely = teh lose. I got most of the marks from #2 out with #9 but I still need some DACP or something to get the last of it. I bought a PC two days ago so I've got some more power behind me now.