Fine, all home backup proggrys are pieces of shit, convince me otherwise.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stilgar1973, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Well they are.

I know what you are thinking.
    Actually I know what you are really thinking, 'Didn't I just close this jackasses thread?'.
    Don't sweat it. No subject in the realm of software gets me as frustrated and riled up as PC backup software does.
    I didn't expect anyone to send me keys or anything, I was just trying to exclaim, 'Hey if you think I am stupid and simply can't make this work put your money where your mouth is!'.
    I did it poorly.

Anyways.
    I have a challenge that couldn't be simpler.
    On my laptop is 1 hard drive, 2 partitions. On one partition is Vista (I think it is the first partition, it includes the boot sector) on the 2nd is XP.

After more then a year I have decided that I want to keep XP on the laptop, Vista didn't cut the mustard for the laptop.
    I want to whipe the entire hard drive clean. Kill both partitions, create 1 partition (NTFS) that is the entire hard drive and overlay the XP image on it.

I am willing to accept that I will need to do an intial install of XP on the laptop and then lay the image overtop of that to insure it works properly.

That is the challenge.

As it stands, I spent a couple days last week burning dual layer DVD's using Acronis Home V10. (yes it is a fully legal copy of Home V10, I bought it a couple of years ago).
    Here is what I would do.
    I would boot up Vista. I would install the Acronis client on Vista, I would reboot into Vista again and tell it to do a full backup of the XP partition.
    After a random number of discs the application would freeze up and stop running.
    I would reboot and try again from the beginning.

Eventually I got pissed off at it, uninstalled it and installed Nero 8 and tried its backup software.
    I got a couple discs into that and got a bad burn and had to start over from the beginning.

Which leads me to something I don't understand about all backup software.
    Why is it that when you get a bad burn of 1 DVD you have to reburn the entire set?
    Why can't it just put up a message that says, 'Oh bad disc, put in a new one and we will start from the beginning of the bad disc.?
    Seems like such a simple thing.

Anyways, throw me your best ideas. What software do you love?
    Do you think I am doing something intrinsically wrong? I'll put up with you calling me an idiot if you spell out WHY I was an idiot?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I didn't read your entire post.

but why can't you use something like partition magic, or even a linux boot cd, and delete the vista partition, resize the xp partition to take the entire drive, use the xp boot cd to fixmbr, and then boot to xp and defrag?

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

or maybe the dvd burner method is the problem
    why not use a usb external drive or something? :dunno:

4. Seeders

Seeders OT Supporter

external HDs are getting cheap

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. Buy Norton PartitionMagic. It's the best partition-rejiggering product on the market.

2. Use PartitionMagic to delete the Vista partition, expand the XP partition to take up the whole disk, and mark the XP partition as the primary partition.

3. You may need to boot from your XP install disc after that's done, so you can go into the Recovery Console and use the BOOTCFG command to tell the boot loader where to find Windows. You'll know you need to do this if your computer goes "wtf?" and craps out after PartitionMagic is done doing its thing.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

partitionmagic is good
    paragon was offering free partition manager 8 serial keys last week. i grabbed mine, i haven't had a chance to try the software out yet

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

No worries.

Bingo..

8. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

did you just use the word proggy?

Wow.

9. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

10. deusexaethera

When was the last time you ran CHKDSK?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

uh fuck do NOT run chkdsk.

do not EVER run chkdsk.

12. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Using rsync on my linux laptop, I find it very easy to to backup and restore stuff.
    :dunno:

13. deusexaethera

If you're getting read errors, it's too late. Before that, it's useful. All my servers and workstations reboot and run surface scans once a week on Sunday morning. Never lost a file.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

can you provide me any documentation of chkdsk actually working?

chkdsk was from the 286/386 era (possibly before that). storage tech has changed since then.