WEB Finding out 'referral' sites - simple question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tickles, Aug 20, 2009.

1. tickles

tickles OT Supporter

I have godaddy WP hosting account with Google analytics installed(on my homepage)

Lets say I post a link to my new post on OT and facebook. I want to know if godaddy's web stats or google analytics will show me that those traffic are from OT/facebook or it will just show up as 'direct' referral?

2. redna

redna New Member

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

A lot of my stuff shows up as direct, when I know it's coming from somewhere else.

when I want to track something like that that, I cheat and just ad ?[id] (i.e. www.yourdomain.com/?otwml1) and pop that in some anchor text. That shows up in google analytics as a page id so you can see how many people visited from what id.

It's definitely not the right way to do it. but it works for me when I'm just trying to test something and I'm being lazy.

There are probably considerably more efficient ways to accomplish this if it's something you're going to be doing a lot of.

3. redna

redna New Member

an example of when I use that would be when I pop an article into ezinearticles or whatever. I want to know WHICH article is sending the most traffic, so I use those little tags in anchor text.