SRS finding a place to get married

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amac88, May 26, 2009.

1. amac88

amac88 New Member

Itll be a year this week until my fiance and I get married. Were trying to find a cheap place that can hold 200+ people (both have big family) and every place we find is like $3k+, or only holds about 50-100 people. I heard going to a church would be free, but neither of us go to a church, her family is Pentecostal, mine is Catholic. Tiffany and I dont care where we get married, but we dont want to upset anybody especially those helping us out with the wedding. Any ideas?

2. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

we're having 320-350 guests. ceremony is in a japanese tea garden and reception will be at a banquet hall with a 500 person maximum capacity.

3. freshie

freshie New Member

Shop around, me and my fiance are both from different religious backgrounds. we found this one place near our house, where we can have a non denominational ceremony.

Were keeping it small (58 people total, close family/friends only, no cousins etc...) and were paying about $105 per person. Try looking at local halls to have it. We looked at this one hotel and they wanted 7k, and the room was small, and there was no dance floor.

i've had friends get married at restaurants that have big rooms for celebrations, might try looking at some places near you that have outdoor areas. Also some parks have places for weddings with indoor locations for the festivities.

for 200+ people it gets expensive though, thats why we kept it small. i have a huge family, and if i invited all of them we'd be spending a ton. Its nice to want to have everyone come, but lotsa times you get people who are no shows.

4. JBunni

JBunni New Member

You could find a nice park for an outdoor wedding/reception, a lot of space and usually cheap to free. My friend and I were driving through the mountains and saw a couple getting married in a beautiful field, very cute.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I don't know where you live, but if you're planning a wedding that large you have to know that it's going to cost well over $10,000 no matter where you have it. That being said, you're most likely best off getting married outside. Whether it's on a beach, in a park or in a public garden that way you don't have to actually pay anyone to rent the venue.

6. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

Find out your budget and work to that.

My husband and I had what is considered a low key wedding with 90 guests (inc children) and we ended up paying $7k. We could have cut back if we wanted to but we didn't :)

Don't look until you know what you can afford to spend and you know where it is coming from.

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

3k for 100 people :eek3: I wish it was that cheap :rofl:

Honestly your best bet is keep it small and do either an island wedding or fly to vegas. Big weddings are overated we did the justice of the peace for immediate family only think that cost $50 and our reception for 100 people cost around 12k at a hilton, that was basically the cheapest in our area too.

8. Jake!

Jake! Guest

we didn't spend a lot (by OT standards) on our wedding; i guess it is cheaper outside of a major city

rented rose garden for $500; which easily seated 250

the garden ended up being less expensive and much, much, nicer than the unfriendly churches

the local churches refused to have our wedding, she is non-practicing Catholic, my family is Methodist -although I am not. After telling the Catholics I refused to convert or take any of their classes they refused us. The Methodist seemed to be always "on vacation".

we have great friends who were a part of our day rather than watching and giving us an espresso machine we would never use

her dress was $5,000 - borrowed from a friend
    another friend played her harp - her gift to us (would have been atleast $500)
    another family friend is a professional photographer - another gift, although we did pay his expenses (another $1000+ saved)
    we did not want or need to rent a limo ($500)
    we did not hire a videographer ($1000?) when are we going to watch our wedding?
    the venue provided the flowers :mamoru: I have no clue what flowers for a church would have cost

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
  9. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

what does the 3k include in the cost? just the site rental for the ceremony? does it include the reception, chairs, decorations, the officiant, a wedding planner, etc etc etc

10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

look for community halls, social clubs (ie: Our wedding will be at the Loyal Order of the Moose lodge), etc.

We have >150 people invited to our wedding, and the hall rental is only $500. It includes being able to use it for the ceremony, and a huge back yard surrounded by 40 foot tall trees all around