FINALLY !!! With Oracle buying Sun, ZFS will just crawl into a corner and DIE!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Harry Caray, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

Linux rocks :bowdown::x: .. Larry loves Linux :fawk: and will hopefully kill off in the near future anything that has to do with it and just keep OpenSolaris around..

Besides that.. they'll transform everything Sun around the Unbreakable Linux platform (which is really hardened CentOS, which is really RH :mamoru:) so...

Screw that hippy ass Schwartz :fawk2: , you drove it into the ground with your cool weekly BLOG's :rolleyes: but you got your big-ass payout in the end while managing to lay off 13,000 Sun workers this year alone :bowdown:

WAY TO GO !!

:mamoru:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/163444/opensolaris_linux_could_merge_under_oracle.html

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Maybe eventually Unbreakable Linux can become the ultimate open-source server OS, and Ubuntu can become the ultimate open-source desktop OS, and all of the mindless competition between distros can finally go away and people can stop wasting time porting applications from one distro to another when they could actually be improving them.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

why the hate for ZFS?

4. deusexaethera

(shrug) Probably doesn't know what it's good for. That being said, Sun is pretty good at making things more complicated than they need to be; one of my coworkers who works on *nix systems every day says that Solaris was created by people who thought Linux was too easy.

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

so what happens with mysql?

6. ady

ady New Member

They bought Sun for Solaris and Java. Oracle is installed on more systems running Solaris than Linux. And to quote Ellison: "Solaris is the best unix techonology available in the market." I doubt they are going to can it.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Solaris is the hardest modern os to work on, as far as I'm concerned. There is so little focus on managability and so many inconsistencies that it isn't funny. The learning curve is so steep because they do almost nothing to simplify administration. Zfs was a step in the right direction, but it still isn't well integrated with the OS. Smf is good too, but trying to associate a running process with a service is an exercise in futility. Ldoms are cool, but so lacking in support from Sun and the management tools are non-existent. Zones are slick too, but without full features and robust management tools, any virtualization quickly becomes a support nightmare.

8. deusexaethera

ZFS on Unbreakable Linux with KDM would be nice. The snapshot function built into the latest ZFS is probably the first feature ZFS has that I really would like to have at my disposal.

9. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

Apparently you missed my quote from the article link at the very top of the page... and I'd like to see WHEN Larry said... it 'might' the best 'unix' technology...

not the best *nix technology :rolleyes:...

again..
    When your top guy is saying that... and all the other articles this week are saying that...

Oracle is saying Linux... :x:

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i think my main issue with linux is that there are too many annoying linux fanboys out there. they're some of the most irritating people in the office because they think that they can be a unix admin since they run linux on a pc at home. it is because of those irritating people that the OS started to annoy me. :)

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Umm.... ZFS freaking rocks. Extremely versatile, almost infinitely scalable, reliable.... :coold:

12. deusexaethera

...oookay...

13. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, i haven't touched it in years, but i've met too many retards at work who use linux at home. it is a completely non-logical reason for disliking an operating system, but it is something that's kept me from bothering with it for quite some time.

14. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

ubuntu 9.04 is nice as hell

15. deusexaethera

Ubuntu 9? I didn't realize they'd released 9 already.

16. GOGZILLA

every 6 months dude. the date is also the release version. 9.04 is for april 09, next release will be 9.10 october 09

17. deusexaethera

Yeah, why do they do that x.0, x.1, x+1.0 pattern instead of x.0, x.1, x.2, etc?

18. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

it sounds like the whole 9.4, 9.10 works. that's all that matters. the whole 5.2.1_SP1 crap doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. what justifies an upgrade to 6? how about 5.3 vs 6 or 5.2.2? how about 5.2.1 SP2 vs 5.2.2?

19. deusexaethera

Generally speaking, a major version upgrade is not reversible -- either your documents can't be read by older versions, or your settings can't be imported by older versions, or what-have-you. The revision number gets incremented every time you release a new build of the code to the public, even if you just fixed a line of code or the position of a button or something. The build number is obvious -- it's the number of times you had to compile the code since the last revision, before you got the new revision to work right.

The minor version number is...subjective; I've never found a good definition for that one. I guess that's when you release new functionality, but it doesn't change the program's output to the point that older versions can't use it anymore.

20. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

???

Ubuntu 9.04 = 2009/04 [april]

It's the best system they can chose no matter what anyone says.

If any package can deviate from naming 'conventions', its the god damned operating system distribution. Noone

21. GOGZILLA

22. deusexaethera

So since they're on the six-month release schedule, they use the year as the major version number and the month as the minor version number? Interesting approach, but not exactly kosher.

Then again, Microsoft hasn't used any consistent versioning schema since 98, so...:dunno:

23. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

That's not really the way it works here. LTS (long term support) versions are major versions (every 2/3 or maybe 4 releases I think, it depends on the stability of all the major components of the distribution). .1 versions are maintenance releases. They release them a few months after each version. So 9.04.1 will be out in a few months, but really thats just 9.04 + all the updates that have been sent out to that distribution since it's release. Just so people don't have to download 200mb of updates if they install 3 months after April.

8.10[.1] and 9.04, there's no "major" difference between them. Neither of them are LTS, 9.04 just has the newer packages and features, which is of course major but no more major than the difference between 9.04 and 9.10 (except 9.10 will probably actually be LTS). It seems complicated, but only if you're used to thinking about the "major version number". Here there is no major version number, but a date. I made this way more complicated than it needs to be lol.

Last edited: May 2, 2009