Finally want to give myself some exposure to a Linux OS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PunkInDrublic, Jan 11, 2009.

1. PunkInDrublic

PunkInDrublic Active Member

What do I download? What's the latest hotness? What distro is best to learn/explore with? I understand it's all pretty much like installing windows nowadays and not so much command line interface anymore, but whatever.

Last I remembered, Ubuntu was the big thing, but that was at least a couple years ago I think.

Help a nigerian out :x:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Kubuntu. It's the version of Ubuntu that uses KDE as its window manager. KDE recently went through a huge upgrade, and it's definitely the nicest window manager on the block right now. It's also the most similar to Windows.

Chances are you'll still hit the command line a few times during the post-install settling-in. There are lots of commands that they still haven't made windows for.

3. PunkInDrublic

PunkInDrublic Active Member

Well the more command line the better, since I'd like to learn/explore. Will check out, thanks

4. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

Personally I would install Fedora, it will give you a much more linux experience

5. deusexaethera

I'm using Fedora 10 on a couple of virtual servers right now, and a lot of shit is broken in it. I can't even assign a static IP address without shutting off NetworkManager and manually editing nsswitch.conf, resolv.conf, ifcfg-eth0, and route-eth0. That's a ridiculous number of files to have to touch to perform a simple operation like that, and I had to do it because NetworkManager is totally farked. Let's see how far he gets using Linux if he can't even connect to the damn internet without opening a command prompt.

Ubuntu works out of the box. That's why it's the pre-eminent Linux distro for end-users right now.

6. deusexaethera

Anything you can do in a window in Linux, you can do in the command prompt too; it's written so that windows are just front-ends for programs that run in the command line. So how much you use the command prompt is entirely up to you; no need to go looking for a particularly CLI-heavy distro specifically.

7. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

yeah network manager is the most jacked up thing. maybe im doing it wrong.jpg but i couldnt figure it out. im using xubuntu but had the same problem with ubuntu when configuring a static ip. i just removed it from the auto-start programs so that it would quit resetting all my static ip stuff. thats been the only thing ive had any problems with. apparently it works great for dhcp roaming networks

8. deusexaethera

No, NetworkManager is broken. As soon as you switch it to static IP mode, it starts deleting some config fields and saving others with the wrong field names. It's totally jacked-up -- and while one of the 180 patches I downloaded last week did fix some messed-up icons (because that's important!), none of them fixed NetworkManager.

Why bother fixing it, they probably think; anyone who knows Linux can just bypass the problem through the command line. Buncha dorks, they are.

9. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

I'd go with 8 or 9. Ubuntu is more out of the box but he wants Linux experience, which includes install and configuration; go with Fedora

10. deusexaethera

I can't say as I ever enjoyed the frustration of getting a machine to work right the first time -- it's not like he can't reconfigure it after the installer preconfigures it, so at least it works right to start with. But then again, I also never enjoyed things such as cutting scars into my arms, burning myself with cigarettes, genital piercing, etc...so I guess it's just not my thing. If that's what he wants, then maybe Fedora is what he's looking for.

11. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

You want a RedHat os experience without all the Fedora headaches and problems???

Just get CentOS... It's solid, you'll learn, it's enterprise strength... Done Deal.

P.S. Let the kids stick with Ubumumumumutubewhatever

12. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Cent is my distro of choice as well. Ubuntu is great, but I prefer the creature comforts of Red Hat distros.

13. klr

klr New Member

I'm running a few Ubuntu-based machines and a RedHat 5 one as well. I ran Fedora up until a few years ago and got sick of things just not working right.

Ubuntu 8.10 is pretty nice, and is currently the one I prefer for desktop Linux use.

If you don't mind the downloading, you can download VMWare images for VMWare Player for free, and you can try a few distros out without having to dedicate a machine.

14. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

Or live CD's...

15. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

stay away from openslowlaris and slowlaris (solaris) in general. i found there was too much u had to fiddle and trick the OS into doing.

I use ubuntu 7.10 on my headless sunfire v120 (100% command line) and love it. I also use ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop which breathed new life into it (dual core with 2 gigs of ram and vista still slow as shit).

Im surprised no1s mentioned freeBSD yet.

I used fedora and redhat in the past....but ive gotten way too attached to ubuntu. Its a friendly OS with enough command line stuff to keep a power user happy (think Mac OSX). Also i havent had a problem with ubuntu crashing or being buggy...its always updating by itself too.

16. HYBR|D

HYBR|D Beep Beeeeee'p

Gentoo.

or

Slackware

17. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

theres a linux test, it asks you what you want out of an os through a bunch of questions and picks the distro that should suit your needs

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
    click "take test"

18. deusexaethera

I've heard plenty of people say "2 gigs is enough for Vista, but it's the 3rd gig that really makes it work well," and that's actually been my experience too. My brother's tablet is using an unexciting Turion 64 x2 processor, but it has 3GB DDR2 and it runs Vista like my Athlon runs XP.

19. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

none of opensolaris, solaris and freebsd are linux.

20. SW20 Nick

yeah but its still a resource hog. Im in shock that my ubuntu laptop reports only 400-500mb of physical ram used when its doing its average thing. (yes yes i know that vista is always caching). If it wasnt for compatibility id consider getting rid of windows altogether.

fair enough, but anyone interested in linux should know whats going on with the above 3 OS's

21. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

why?

22. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

I tried OpenSuse 11.0. I wanted to install it but it wanted to format my entire partition just for itself. :ugh:

23. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I have always used Fedora

24. SW20 Nick

they are all unix/linux LIKE. They share many many features and the learning curve BETWEEN any of the above isnt that big. If you can navigate around one, the others will come as 2nd nature.

What is the issue with exposing some1 to more of something he is interested in.

25. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i just found it weird that, in a thread about linux, you're telling him to stay away from solaris. i'd agree with you in that solaris isn't a great desktop os. it just seemed a bit out of the blue.

as far as freebsd goes, i just don't think anyone would mention it because he was specifically asking about linux.