GUN finally...tracked down a .338 v. Savage arms

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copeland, Dec 7, 2006.

1. copeland

copeland smarter than you

It's the caliber I've been really interested in with all the military sniping hype I've been reading. I didn't want to just go out and drop a few grand on one to find out it's not for me. So I kinda got lucky, the story...

Few weeks ago at work one of our millworkers was walking with a bandaid above his eyebrow...I kinda laughed and asked how he got hurt (assuming it occured at work) well, he tells me he scoped himself while out hunting. I laughed and asked what he was shooting, A savage arms .338. Apparently he wants to get rid of it and drop down to a smaller caliber (300 winmag or 7mm I think.) So I asked what he wants for the .338 and he tells me $350. So now I'm about to take off to his house and see if it's a steal or not...and I figured I post here to see if anyone has objections or promotions for getting it.

The reason I want it, is that our new range opening up this year has a 1000 yard lane. and I want something I can use on it, and I know there are better long range rifles for punching paper, but I want to make the rifle relatively useful outside the range (should I choose to return to hunting)

2. reman

reman New Member

338 what? lapua, federal, RUM?

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

This is probably a 338 Win Mag and not what you're looking for. FYI you're not going to get a 1000yd gun for $350 either :hsugh:

4. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

:werd:

And you're really not gonna find a 1000yd gun that's built off of a hunting rifle....

5. copeland

yea it's a winmag.

I took a look at it. It was ok, still trying to decide if its what I may want. I should have clarified a little, I know it's not going to be a comp ready rifle. But for long distance practice, I figured it would do the job. It would be cheaper to operate for practice then a bigger brand rifle.

However, what I'm still not able to learn is the difference between all the .338's...basically as of right now I'm looking at it at as a excercise rifle. I can practice breathing, flinch etc. and it should reach out 1000 yards. but it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg on barrels and other parts.

The downside I can't get over is, it's a well used 4 year old rifle. the end of the barrel has lost alot of the blueing from bush abuse it seems, and I noticed where the barrel connects to the action, there is a little rust...I'm sure I could clean it up and refinish it, but then my 350 will have just turned to 500...I'm appreciating the real world feed back guys.

6. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

sounds like it would be a crappy long range rifle. the crown is already messed up.

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

.338 WM is really more of a large game hunting cartridge than and long range match cartridge.

If you want something with more punch than .308 then I'd look at .300 WinMag. The ballistics are better for long range shooting than the .338 WinMag. Also, ammo will be less expensive, and you'll have a much better selection of factory loadings, especially for "match" oriented ammo.

8. Goat

I really wouldn't practive with a .338WM hunting rifle if I wanted to get into 1000yd shooting, as that rifle and a true bench gun are going to have nothing in common. Plus that thing probably isn't gonna be fun to shoot off a bench more than 7 or 8 times, assuming it doesn't have a break.

I'd just save my money and do it right.

9. Goat

:werd:

.300WM would be alot better choice, especially considering that I don't think anyone makes .338WM Match ammo. I really doubt Corelokts are gonna get the job done. :rofl:

10. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

.338 Lapua is such a good long range cartridge because it has a SUPER flat trajectory over that long range, retains plenty of velocity, is damn accurate, and still puts a hurt on personnel and equipment at long range. The rifles that fire the cartridge are FAR lighter than .50's. The round basically replaces .50 BMG in the sniper role. It is not any cheaper than .50 BMG to shoot, however.

You will not find the same ballistic results with pretty much any other cartridge. You CAN make a 1000 yrd rifle with a .308 or .30-06, it's just harder.

11. Goat

You make get a .338 Ultra to shoot almost the same as the Lapua with a little reloading skill, and for ALOT cheaper, but that's not something to jump into.

12. copeland

bah the more I think about it, you guys are right.

I was reading over on snipercentral that a 1000 yard gun that would be decent to build is a 300 winmag...I guess it's back to the drawing board