finally switched over to firefox.. but probs with cookies

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by the red king, Feb 23, 2005.

1. the red king

the red king OT Supporter

ok, I finally switched completely over to firefox now but I'm having some problems with the settings for blocking and allowing cookies. When I was running IE i had it set to block all cookies but allow 4 or 5 sites that i specified and put on its list. Firefox has the same option to do this but i still cant log into sites such as hotmail. -i added www.hotmail.com and login.passport.net to the 'allowed' list but cant login

and for some reason it lets me log into offtopic but it will not remember me when i come back later and i have to re-log in

what am i doing wrong?

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

i just allow sites to set cookies.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Try the extension Cookie Culler click here
    You have to train it as to which cookies to allow and which to block.
    It's also possible to do this in the "hostperm.1" found in your profile folder for FF, but it's a lot more complex. But note that Cookie Culler does not modify the "hostperm.1" file to allow/block cookies, it uses it's own method

Cookie Culler doesn't really block the cookies as much as it uses a list to remember which cookies to remember, but I believe there is a setting that can block cookies.
    If you want to completely block cookies, you'll have to do it from the "hostperm.1" file, and as a suggestion get SpywareBlaster and after updating it, set it to protect Mozilla/Firefox which will modify the "hostperm.1" file to block a large number of cookies.