Finally starting to see some abs! Help! (pics)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Socrates, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Alright, after being a fatass for a long time, the Marines helped me lose 20 lbs in boot camp and school of infantry.

I've been cutting since i've been back (only 2 1/2 weeks) and i'm finally reaching my goal of seeing some abs.

Here are some pics, so tell me if you can see them shaping or not.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyways, my problem is my physical fitness level for the Marines is too low because I can only do 5 dead-hang pullups.

Bottom line, I need to build the strength to do at least 10 pullups. If I just started bulking I know I could get that in less than a month. However, I don't want to gain more fat back and lose what i'm working for.

The 10 pullups isn't mandatory because i'm going to Iraq in June, but i'll just have to keep embarrassing myself each month when we do the PFT.

Should I keep cutting and build up the abs more while continuing to lift weights (including hardcore pullup work) or should I just bulk and get my pullups up?

My goal at the moment isn't to get huge, because i'll be able to work out in Iraq and get a lot bigger there. At the moment, I just want to enjoy being tone for once, then I can work on size in Iraq.

Help me out F & N!

2. dont worry about abs right now. its wnter. no one is gonna see em. bulk up and cut starting in after easter.

3. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Only way to get better at pullups is to do them, you can increase the intensity of your training a number of ways though. Heavy negatives (with weight), have someone spot you when you can't pull yourself up anymore, if your grip is the problem you can try weighted hangs and grip training.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Youre not that close to a '6 pack' anyway, might as well get strong enough to not embaress youreself in front of your marine buddies.

5. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Would using a lat pulldown machine help my pullups as much as regular pullups? (assuming I pull as much as my body weight or more)

6. joy division

joy division New Member

it won't hurt anything but keep to doing pull ups mainly...like the person above said- if you want to get good at something, PRACTICE IT!!

7. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I understand, but will I still gain in pullups if I continue to diet and lose weight?

8. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I really only need to get to 10 pullups one time to get them off my back (which I know the smart thing to do is just to bulk to the pullups then start cutting again).

I run 3 miles about twice a week, sometimes 3 times, to get my running score better also. Since I run so much, if I just eat at maintance, continue to workout, could I gain muscle without adding the extra fat?

Note: I would be working out my ab muscles a lot more (which haven't been worked out very much at all), so maybe they would show through since they would be bigger, with keeping the amount of fat on them now. Yes/no?

9. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

:rofl:

pics or ban

10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Care to post in here or link me so I can see, incase I decide to go that route?

11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

12. nitak

nitak New Member

cutting should help with your pullups, and its a bw excerise you could do it 3-4times a week without much risk of overtraining. Just keep doing them theyll increase. I joined the marines recently also (dep), my first pft i did 12pullups, and now im doing over 15 at the same bw if not more.

13. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Oh. It was just because I am currently cutting, so I figured if I ate at maintainance, I wouldn't gain much fat at all, but muscles would grow. That not right?

14. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

umm you've lost 20 pounds in boot camp and since youve been back, you have been cuttin for 2.5 weeks? why? you are still weak, no reason to be cutting. you should bulk and practice your pull ups.

did you even read the sticky?

15. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Do you know what maintenance means? As in MAINTAIN.

16. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.