GUN Finally shot my 20 gauge

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rojo Johnson, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

I got my dad's old shotgun from my mom a few months ago and cleaned it up. I finally got out to shoot it. It's Mossberg 500C. I'm not sure how old it is but it felt good. I put about 100 shells through it. Also shot a GSG 22 that a friend got that day, thing is so fun! Shot a DPMS AR and a Colt AR. Also shot a brand new Taurus 9mm and a ruger 9mm. Overall was a fun day, even though all we were shooting at was cans and horse apples.

We're gonna go out again in a couple of weeks or when the weather is better. I'll be sure to get some pics next time. I also have an old M1 carbine. I don't think it's been shot in over 20 years.

I've got a nice bruise on my bicep/armpit. :wiggle:

2. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Your not holding it right if you have a bruise after 100 rounds of 20ga.

Make sure and tuck it all the way into you shoulder pocket and lean into the shot.

3. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

yah, i had a bruise the first time i shot a 12 ga (after less than 50 rounds), since I was just nestling it against my arm. you really have to hold it in there, otherwise you'll be an unhappy camper!

4. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

So you put the butt of the stock where your front deltoid ends and biceps begin?

5. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

How did you like the DPMS AR?

6. Rojo Johnson

Yeah, I guess... I haven't shot a shotgun since I was 10 or 11. Any rifle for that matter. I figured I was doing something wrong when I saw the bruise.

I have some long ass arms, like over an 80" reach. It felt akward holding the Colt AR because it didn't have an adjustable stock. I was tucking my arm down into my body so I guess that's what caused it. Should I be holding my arm out like a batter would?

I loved it.

7. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

My general placement for buttstock is where my chest ends and my front deltoid begins but more toward the chest side. So that the buttstock is completely sitting on the very end of my chest.

I tuck down my arm but not touching the side of my body (I would guess about 3 to 4 inches of room at my elbow to my side) when shooting a rifle w/ pistol grip and I have more square stance with it. I have my arm out when shooting non-pistol grip rifle with more bladed stance.

edit: You don't need to have entire buttstock on you either, I place maybe bottom half of the stock on me. Not cranking down your neck FTW.

8. Rojo Johnson

Cool. I should correct myself, I don't have my arm all the way tucked in. It's pretty much like you described. I could get the whole buttstock of the 20g against me but the AR and the 22 were a little different. I had maybe the bottom half against my shoulder. I guess squaring up a little more would help too.