Finally saw "X2" Monday...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Highlander_77, May 28, 2003.

1. Highlander_77

Highlander_77 Wicked smaht

Did anyone else think they completely wasted the potential of Lady Deathstrike's character by just making her basically a throw-away villian like that? For those of you who used to follow the Wolverine comic books years ago, there was so much more I would have liked to see there (also, since when did Lady Deathstrike have a healing factor?).

I hate it when movies screw with storylines like that...

2. kryptonian

kryptonian zombie crew #27

no shit! i wish they hadnt have did that!

3. GrassHopper

GrassHopper Happiest motherf***er you're EVER gonna meet OT Supporter

Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

4. landonhodges

landonhodges Guest

she should have died sooner. worthless piece of shit.

5. GlassJoe

GlassJoe New Member

They gave her healing ability for film continuity. In the first movie, they said that Wolverine's healing powers were the only thing that allowed him to survive the adamantium grafting procedure, so it would make sense that in order to do the same procedure to another person, they would have to have the same ability.

6. Highlander_77

I will admit that I kind of liked how they handled Nightcrawler...and the Collosus cameo was cool too......still, they've got the continuity all screwed up from the comics (Iceman was one of the original X-Men...long before Storm & Wolverine came around. And where's Beast? And Angel?).

I wonder how many people actually got the whole Jean Grey/Phoenix/Dark Phoenix thing that they're obviously planning for the next movie.....I wonder how well they'll be able to pull that one off....

7. Highlander_77

Yeah, but Deathstrike was never supposed to have had the full adamantium grafting thing done...she just had adamantium claws, the rest of it was all cybernetic implants. She wasn't even a mutant in the comics!

8. GlassJoe

GlassJoe New Member

It's a movie, quit thinking so much.

9. Highlander_77

This has nothing to do with thinking too much, it has everything to do with staying true to the source material...something which doesn't really seem to concern Hollywood very much.

10. 777

777 New Member

Of course they must stray because they have to appeal to a wide audience and not just to the avid comic book readers.
    Do you honestly think they are going to explain the comic version of the pheonix complete with ancient alien goddess's and other shit like that? No, they will simply say she realized her true power.

11. Highlander_77

I don't expect for a second that they will even try to explain the full Phoenix story...I guess this is the problem with comic book movies, there just isn't enough time in a 2 hour movie to do the source material justice. :hs:

12. Mountain Dude

Mountain Dude Here it comes, and there it goes, another day in d

X2>Matrix Reloaded

13. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

who was the kid with the tongue? the one wolverine was carrying at the end of the movie...

14. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

Toads kid. :o

15. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

:squint: :fawk:

16. TerryHau

TerryHau Guest

I quite enjoyed the movie although i've never read any of the comics. The only background knowledge i have on X-Men is from the cartoon.

17. Smeckel

Smeckel Guest

I had never read a comic book or watched any of the cartoons/first movie but the g/f wanted to see so i went along. I actually thought it was a pretty good movie. I can't say how accurate it was but it was definetly entertaining.

Now Matrix Reloaded on the other hand... :rl:

Steve :cool:

18. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Case in point... Comics appeal to a specific audience. Movies, another. The only way to get the big draw is to try to appeal to both without swaying to much in either's favor. I used to be a HUGE comic book collector and as per the norm X-Men was always a good read. The only two things in that upset me about X2 was the fact that they killed off Lady Deathstrike that fast with the other being that Colossus didnt sound remotely russian. I did like the cameo of Siryn. There were SO many things that I did like that I easily overlooked the differneces from the comics.
    The thing is Bryan Singer is a comic book fan. He was trying to stay true to the comic as much as possible while still holding to a time frame that allowed for a good mixture of character development and action.
    Also, you have to realize that he has to update 35 years of comic history in a couple of 2 hour movies, which cant be an easy task. Im sure there will be more things brought to light in more movies and with his track record so far, I dont think I will be disappointed.

19. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

No one has yet to answer my question... who's the kid with the tongue?!?! :dunno:

20. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

i dont think he is anyone major... just some mutant they threw in there for effect.

21. Supreme Allah

Supreme Allah The terrorists won.

X2 was probably the most faithful comic book adaptation since Superman. just because a throwaway villian like Deathstrike (its true, she sucked ass in the comic) was re-tooled to fit within the storys confines, doesnt undo the terrific portrayals of Magneto, Wolverine, Prof X, Jean Grey, NightCrawler

besides the fact that they made Mystique so much more interesting than her comic book counterpart more than makes up for it

22. Supreme Allah

Supreme Allah The terrorists won.

the kid w/the tongue is Artie, of Artie and Leech

a pair of morlocks (mutants that live in sewers).. nobody important

23. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Spider-man was pretty faithful.