COMIC finally saw neon genesis evangelion

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by smell my finger, Dec 29, 2003.

1. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

spoilers ahead ..............

first .. i type out about three paragraphs about what i though about it all.. hit submit, and it disapeared :rant: ... let me just say right now WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT SHIT ?!!? they had a kick ass story going then ended it like that ?

what about seles, dead see scrolls, nature of angle eva and man, the second impact, resolution of what the hell is going on in general ..

i still havnet seen death/rebirth or end of evangelion .. so maybe that will help

2. smell my finger

some other things i mentioned before teh first post disapeared....

it seems man may have come from angles, and he [man] chose his present form and lost freedom doing so, that the angels may be after more than destroying nerv ... that the dead sea scrolls predicted the angles and .... WHAT?!!? ... did they predict that return to nothingness and filling the mental void nonsense? that seemd to be outside of what seles wanted and it was the commanders own plan. ...

and what exactly happend when the younger rei (one of herselves anyway) called the scientist woman an old hag [the inventor of the magi] ? the scientist choked her out but then someone got killed..im guessing rei killed her :dunno: but how? when the last angle appeared it seemed like Rei actually is either an angle or has a powerful AT field or soemthing, because she was standing there and they registered another prencese of soemthing ...e ct ect ect

3. AzNCowboy

AzNCowboy More AzN than Cowboy

the last 2 eps is all in Shinji's mind. EoE is bascially telling what happens in the real world during these two episodes (which is pretty fucked up anyways)

4. smell my finger

yah i figured it was what's happening in shinji's mind ... but they waited WAY to long to start unraveling the plot .. and the conclusion that shinji reaches doesn't mean much without what's actually going on in the 'real world' ... im hoping EoE will statisfy me :hs: (or ill have to write a fan-fiction novella :o )

5. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

Man didn't come from angels. Angles were actually just different possibilities for human forms. Humans and angels both came from Lillith. In essence, humans are the 18th angel; however, due to our psychological AT fields, we are individuals rather than an angel.
    I don't quite remember much about the dead sea scrolls though.

The younger Rei called the "scientist woman" (Ritsuko's mother) an old hag, although only repeating what she had heard from Gendo. Ritsuko's mother didn't want to hear any of this, so she strangled and killed the child Rei. I believe she was then killed by Gendo, but I'm not positive. However, remember when Unit 00 went berzerk and tried to kill Rei? Who's soul do you think is inhabiting Unit 00? ;)

Rei I was always a bit shakey on. I believe her to be part human, part angel, being that she is part Yui, part Lillith.

Watch EoE and things should start making more sense, but, of course, others will make a hell of a lot less sense. Still, it brings good closure to the series.

6. smell my finger

yes, i improperly stated that 'man came from angles' .. we both came form the same 'form' in the platonic sense, but we gave up complete freedom for some other joy. i dont believe that man is the 18th angle.. man existed beofre and after, and is substanialy different from the angles..... the dead sea scrolls played a Very important part in the plot development, for it predicted the angles and was the basis for the planning of seles

im not sure if Ritsukos' mother is inhabited unit 00, her sould is already in the three magi, it would seem like her importance is too great in the series if she 'was' also unit 00, given the amount of attention they paid to her.. im not convinced that unit 00 was actually trying to kill Rei, even though it slamed it's head against the wall.. while that is what people said. and i think that Rei actually killed Ritsukos' mother .. the chalk outline was more the size of an adult, and in the 17th angel episode Rei was noted to have an very strong AT field.. i think she manifested that agains the scientist woman

im just looking forward to EoE... should i bother watching death/rebirth?

7. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

It's been quite a while since I last watched the series, so I don't remember everything that made me make the conclusions that I've made. There was something that hinted at humans being pretty much angels if I remember correctly. I dunno, I really need to watch the series again.

As for Ritsuko's mother's soul being in the Magi, I don't believe it's her soul, but rather, her mind. She programed the 3 different parts of her mind into the Magi - her as a woman, her as a mother, and her as a scientist I believe the three were (correct me if I'm wrong). Her soul, however, I'm almost positive was in Unit 00. If you haven't yet figured it out, the idea behind the existance of the Eva units should become much clearer after you watch EoE (it did for me).

Also, how did Ritsuko's mother die? It's slipped my mind. Did she supposedly jump and commit suicide, or something along that line?

As for Death and Rebirth, everybody I know who's seen it has said not to bother with it. Appearantly it's a recap of the first 24 episodes, followed by the first half of EoE. So, you probably won't really miss anything.

8. Akira714

Akira714 New Member

Yeah, the movies tie everything up. Death and Rebirth= Recap of the series + first part of the movie. End of Evangelion= Rest of the movie.

Your not the only one angry at the series endings. In Japan, some fans sent death threats to the show's creator. (They flash those e-mails near the end of the movie for like 5 frames.)

The creator of the show made Evangelion when he was depressed and used it to help get him out of it. That's why those last episodes revolved around how people view eachother and themselves. I'm guessing Shinji portrays the shows creator seeing that at the end he realises his existance and copes with other people. (Also note that in the last cupple minitues the screen shows the words, "Thank you father, Good bye to my mother, and to all the children, congradulations.")

Anyways, the creator got pissed off and made the movies because people didn't really understand his message in the last episodes. The movie repaces those two episodes (The sections of the movie are titled, Episode 25: Air and Episode: 26: Sincerely yours/my pure heart for you)

The movie is pretty good and wraps things up well. (If your watching the DVD, turn on the commentary for explinations of the relgious symbols shown in the move.)

Anyways, I would write more but I gatta go. Enjoy the movie.

btw, a new Evangelion box set recently came out in Japan that is digitaly remastered and comes with 4 director cut epidodes as well as some other things.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  9. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

as far as i know there are no current plans to release this for the US consumption, since it would require more post production, subs and dubs, along with a subbed or dubbed commentray tracks.

i liked the ending for the tv series. i didn;t like the ending for the movie since to me they seem so different. the tv series shinji comes to terms with everyone and IMO restores the world as it is after the third impact, in the movie he wigs out and only him and asuka live to repopulate the world as adam and eve...

if you likes this series you'd also like Rahxephon, which IMO is much better then NGE...

10. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

Is that Asuka at the end? I keep thinking that it isn't I think it is a combanation of all three of the girls. She doesnt have blue eyes anymore, she has brown eyes like Misato and she has bandages over her eye and right arm like Rei did the first time Shinji saw her.

Oh, and they are releasing the last three episodes (24-26) as directors cuts on 3-9-04.

11. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

You know, I never saw it that way, I always thought it was just Asuka. I'll have to re-watch it sometime to check, but thats the first time anyones ever brought that to my attention.

12. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Knew I remembered reading this, took me some digging to find it.

Broke out my EoE disc tonight to do some image capture. I know I've seen it debated, although maybe not here, whether or not damage to an EVA is transfered through to its pilot while in berzerker. I think this pretty much sums it up and answers Tikiman's question at the same time.

[​IMG]

Timecode 42:06. The first lance strikes EVA-02 through the arm. And, Asuka's arm splits in exactly the same manner. Hence her arm bandaged up at the ending.

13. smell my finger

just watched EoE ... while it was the ending that should have been in the series, it was still somewhat unsatisfying. :hs: ... there was still the story turning on the broke-ass ramblings of a kid, and shinji is still a bitch at the very end. :hs: but better, much better

14. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Evangelion is a great series and somewhat disturbing series. I'm probaby one of the few people who actually liked the philosophical ramblings of the end of the television series. :o

Ritsuko's mother was killed by Gendo for those who don't remember.

15. smell my finger

the problem with the ramblings is that they aren't all the philsophical in a concrete, important sense... they sound more like a confused child who can't face up to something (which makes sense) .. which is not a very fullfilling way to end something on as grand a scale as evangelion... and yes there are clear connections between his ramblings and the fate of the world and the restructing of everthing, but .. blah...

(oh, and i guess man is the 18 angel :o )

16. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

17. lilpbody10

lilpbody10 Guest

I just got hooked on the series this past week. Been watching on internet tv.

18. Taker

Taker 找死吗?

is this show mentally fucked up like NGE? if so, then fawk that i aint watching it

19. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

www.boxtorrents.com it is worth the download. IMO this is the series NGE should have been.

20. NGE .. best robot/psychological anime ever.. better than RahXephon IMO. RahXephon had a neat concept goin' for it though.