GUN finally registered for class

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeri534, May 22, 2008.

1. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Good for you. You should post an honest review when you are done so that others will know what you liked and didn't like about this training and more importantly, what you learned.

Insights has a good reputation from friends that I trust but I have never trained there.

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Scrotum: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Sounds like a class I'd like to take... any classes in Texas or South Carolina?

Navigating the site on my phone sucks...:hsd:

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Sweet, I've heard good things about Insights. I'm thinking of trying to grab a class there while I'm working in Tacoma.

5. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

PREREQUISITES (for General Defensive Rifle)
    Completion of General Defensive Handgun or equivalent and Concealed Weapons Permit or documentation of good character.

:ugh: :ugh:

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

Thats a pretty common requirement.

7. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Very standard. At OFA we required a current copy of your CHL or a background check prior to taking any courses. It's just a way of making sure you're only teaching the "good guys"

8. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

finally, class is tomorrow and saturday 8am-6pm both days, should be fun

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what the fuck are you UGHing for? :ugh2:

10. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

good luck man

11. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

good first day, was about 50/50 range and class, tomorrow should be 80/20 range vs class, nice small group, 8 in our class, about 3 glocks, 3 sigs, 1 XD, and 1 Les Baer TRS, all the guns ran fine but we didnt really run them that hard today, we'll see how they hold up tomorrow :)

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

What'd ya learn?

13. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

Ill give my full review after the whole class tomorrow.

So far its been really good though, great instructors and a good curriculum.

14. dano

dano OT Supporter

Sounds like a good experience. I would like to get in on a class like this when the wallet says it's affordable.

15. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

lol, you know youve been training hard when you got some good blisters :big grin:

[​IMG]

16. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You wasted your money. You should have bought another gun or at least a cool gadget.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

damn right, nga. you have two hands for a reason

18. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

Insights Training Center
    General Defensive Handgun
    Issaquah, Wa

The class was taught by Tracy Roberts, Tracy was very pleasant to learn from, he was able to convey everything in-class and on the range very easily and everyone had no problem running drills under his instruction. He was very patient, even with a few stragglers and was a great instructor overall. Also coached by John, while I did not need much coaching, John was coaching another student who was having trouble throughout the whole class. John was excellent at keeping safety as the primary concern and I, at no times felt unsafe on the range with both Tracy and John running the show. John was helping the student next to me and I was pretty much listening to him talk to the student and he was giving good instruction and by the end of the 2nd day that student was starting to get his shit together with the help of Johns coaching.

So the title of the class was "General Defensive Handgun". From what I gathered from the description of the class before I registered, it was a class focused toward someone who has an understanding and familiarity with how to use their handgun, and is deciding to use it to defend themselves or carry it concealed. Being that it was my first formal training in handguns, I did not know what exactly to expect. But I had a general idea of what the curriculum would be. I figure we would go over basic marksmanship, mindset, and drawing/firing with a "purpose".

The most important things I learned in class was the mindspect aspect of a gunfight, and more importantly, how to stay out of a gunfight. Before taking the class, I had no real "plan" to how I would react in a situation that may escalate into a possible gunfight. Now, I have a plan I can practice, and even execute may the situation arise.

Another thing I learned, before I took the class, when I drew my weapon when practicing or whatnot, I never really had a "purpose" when I drew my weapon. I just drew it, and started shooting the paper. Now everytime I draw my weapon, weather Im practicing or dryfiring, I have a purpose, I draw the exact same way Tracy taught me in class and I am no longer just drawing to shoot paper.

I initially started my class with my Glock 19 with an IWB holster. After the first range session from my IWB to an OWB holster just for the sake of safety. Tracy pointed out when I would reholster in my IWB, I would slightly tilt the gun towards my body to easily seat the gun into the holster. I decided I would rather train myself with that holster with a dummy gun, rather than in class with live fire. After switching to my OWB, I had no more issues the rest of the time. The gun ran fine with absolutely no issues.

I did find out that the G19 is not the most comfortable gun for me. I may see about switching back to shooting Sigs.

The live fire drills were great, after the class I don't think I can find myself shooting at paper the same again. The skills Ive learned in class I can now apply at the range and will self-train myself from now on instead of just putting holes through paper. The live fire drills could not have been presented any better.

The beginning of the class, most of the class had trouble drawing their weapon and hitting their targets slowly. By the end of the class, pretty much everyone was drawing on the move, firing while giving verbal commands, clearing malfunctions, tactical and speed reloads, 360 scans smoothly.

Few things I thought could have been better. I think shooting on the move drills could have been done more and expanded on. I was hoping to do some drills individually with the instructor with more dynamics. But given the experience of the class, I could see why this was no implemented. Also, possibly could have brought in the human/silhouette targets sooner to start having the students shoot at actual human targets. 90% of our drills were on dots I thought the human targets could have been implemented earlier with no issues.

Overall the class was excellent, Tracy and John were great instructors, they enforced safety as the #1, and always #1 priority and that made a big impact on all the students. Tracy was a great teacher in the class and was able to give all the information he could in the small timeframe we had in class and I was able to take it all in. John was a great coach who I saw turn someone who had a lot of trouble in the beginning of the first class to be able to run the Farnam drill smoothly at the end of the day. I would definitely recommend this class to anyone who is considering using a handgun to carry or defend themselves. The endless time and money spent at the shooting range. You cannot buy $1000 worth of ammo and range fees that will come close to what you learn in $350 and 2 days in this class.

19. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

Oh, and for the gear queers out there. Here is my observation of what I saw in guns .

Les Baer TRS - Did not see this gun malfunction once, and was pretty fucking accurate :coold:

XD 40 - Can't say because the operator did not really know how to handle his gun, had a few failures, possibly due to limp wristing though?

Sig P226 X5 - Ran pretty good, noticed the slide drop into battery after slamming a mag home though.

G19 - Mine ran fine, absolutely no issues. The 2 other guys who were running wolf did have some issues though.

Sig P226 DAK - No issues there, accurate also.

Sig P226 DA/SA - No issues except I think the user was not slamming the magazine home causing it to drop out when racking the slide.

Glock 22 w/ 9mm conversion barrel - this thing did not run, double feeds, FTFs all over. I believe .40 uses a different ejector from the 9mm which I think caused it. Went back to .40 barrel and was running fine.

20. Luciano

Luciano Guest

Sounds like a great class, and a really good learning experience.