TAT finally picked out the spot for the tattoo

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by volvoc70, Feb 14, 2008.

1. volvoc70

volvoc70 New Member

[​IMG]

i want to get what hes got. i tried searching the internet for the chinese symbols but i got like 20 different symbols for happiness for example. is there more than 1 word? im guessing like theres different ones for joy, etc or if these people are just straight up wrong with there symbols

but i was wondering if anyone had the symbols for

-happiness
    -strength
    -love
    -courage
    -destiny
    -dream
    -hard work/productivity

2. Gillzeebub

Gillzeebub New Member

im not sure if ur aware but there are a few different syles of chinese characters. there is a more traditional and complex style and a more simplified style.
    I searched and found this pic which has most of the words ur looking for. hope it helps... i have a chinese character for smile on my hip. i did a lot of research to make sure it didnt say something different lol

[​IMG]

3. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

There's different dialects as well. You may have "researched" smile but I can almost guarantee it also has a different meaning.

A few years back there was an article in a tattoo magazine. They went to a 60yr old Asian man and asked him to translate the name "Clay". His translation was equivalent to "free flowing river". They then went to a 16yr old Asian teen and asked him to translate. His rendition was equivalent to "ghostly spirit". :dunno: You never know what you're going to get.

4. kai-li

kai-li New Member

I concur. I speak Chinese and Japanese and I get asked to translate or "write" tattoo an awful lot. I'm not sure why people who don't speak a certain language want characters that they can't read on their body. Sure, it has a certain symbolism but you really never know. What people don't realize that Chinese has "radicals". Meaning that a certain part of the character can mean "love" etc, but standing alone without the second component character renders it meaningless.

Also make sure your artist can "do" characters. A slight upstroke or extra line can change the character's meaning- or just change it into gibberish.

5. volvoc70

volvoc70 New Member

I personally want the chinese letters because i think it looks good but then also how good would it look if i wrote out happiness, courage, love etc on my arm you know? im not trying to cover up all the skin on my body with ink. i like the fact its more like a pic and not words

6. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

so come up with creative pictoral representations of these words on your own? thats what id do

7. volvoc70

volvoc70 New Member

well i want people when they see the tattoo to understand that its a symbol and not just some random tiger for example for strength and jsut think i have a tiger on my arm.

i just think the chinese letters look so much cleaner and better on the body

8. Gillzeebub

Gillzeebub New Member

i agree with ur theory on chinese characters. I love the fact that a few lines combined together can have a meaning like love, courage, good health, smile etc. I chose my character for that reason and also for the fact that i lived in HK for 5 yrs of my life, so the asian writing was a reminder of that part of my life.

9. i2ichal2d

i2ichal2d New Member

who cares about other people! the tattoo is for yourself, GL