Finally! I rebuilt her *PICS*

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by noxxs, Apr 3, 2007.

1. noxxs

noxxs New Member

So bought this 99 TLS in August of 06 and have been scrounging for parts ever sence. i found it at a salvage yard, apparently it had been stolen and crashed, luckly (sort of) it was crashed into what looked to be a big yard of mud. anyway tonight a package came with the last parts i needed, and i headed directly to the shop to put her back together again. here are the before and afters, its no award winner, but its my baby.

before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and after:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 7960

7960 New Member

wow, looks nice
    details on the bike just behind it.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Is Buell the only company that understands it's good to put the muffler under the bike instead of up by the rear wheel? Center of gravity is important.

Oh yeah...nice restoration job.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

A muffler is a big empty can...it makes more sense to not put the muffler down there and move the motor as low as possible.

5. noxxs

noxxs New Member

Paul Yaffe Double Trouble frame and sheet metal. just got finished this past winter. 124ci Top Performance engine, rigid stainless steel tube oil lines, 290 rear wheel, 6sp RSD Baker transmission (this bike can been seen in their catalog, last page).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 7960

7960 New Member

^^

what the fucking mother fuck.......... very nice!

(not a fan of the purple but still...)

7. noxxs

noxxs New Member

yeah, the bike was dropped off at the painter's and he had very few restrictions. i dunno if i like it yet, but its not my bike so i can't complain.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

it's not yours? are you working on it for someone?

don't get me wrong I'd take that in a heartbeat, but if I ordered it I'd leave off the purple.

btw, exactly what did you replace on your bike?

9. noxxs

noxxs New Member

the yaffe bike is my boss'. i still built it for him though.

for the TLS, this is what i did: side cover, plastics + windscreen, had to buy a new fairing stay, radiator, did a coil mod, put the battery under the hump instead of under the seat, new rear tire, took the chain and soaked it in diesel and cleaned it, new rear break, new plugs, cleaned everything, new ignition switch, had to repair the upper tripple tree clamp, new break and clutch lever, repaired rear break lever, did some more rewiring, turn signals, new coolant resovior, and new paint. i'm probably missing others, but thats all i can think of right now.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

shotgun question time:

is that what you do for work?
    how long did it take?
    was it a kit?
    was it complete?
    did he pay you?
    (I won't ask how much)
    does he actually ride it?
    is it 48-state legal?
    have you ridden it?
    is it comfortable?

again, nice work on your bike.

11. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Actually the new '06 and '07 GSXR 600 and 750s have mufflers underneath the bike. The end of the pipe sticks out a bit on the side though.

12. noxxs

noxxs New Member

is that what you do for work?
    sort of, i do all sorts of odds and ends for him, its mostly mechanic work now though, its been my job for most of college. we were racing in the grand american road racing series, i think we might still be, but i dont know how much i'll be working with them anymore now that i'm looking for a real engineering job.

how long did it take?
    it took maybe a year once we really started working on it, i think we could have gotten it done quicker had we not been racing.

was it a kit?
    not a kit really, yaffe made the frame and the tank, and he mounted the engine and transmission so it wouldn't ride like shit (constantly leaning), but there are only 3 others out there, so this is the first one to be completed outside of the yaffe shop.

was it complete?
    when he bought it? no, it had uncut fenders, and like i said before, an engine and trans and some wheels, so it had a suspension, but we had to do all the finish work. i.e. plumbing, wiring, sending things out to chrome, fabricating odds and ends, cnc'ed the shift linkage and the plate in the primary, and some other things

did he pay you?
    (I won't ask how much)
    yup, i got paid for it.

does he actually ride it?
    he says he's going to, its just the start of the season here. he rode it once before it went out to paint.

is it 48-state legal?
    i have no idea, probably not becuase its loud as fuck, but i'm sure no one will really complain.

have you ridden it?
    not yet

is it comfortable?
    its not as bad as it looks, it was made for him, and he's a little shorter. i dont think i'd want to ride it across country but its not a strech or anything.

13. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

nice both bikes look good, the white really stands out

14. POONTANG

POONTANG skeet skeet

so what did the parts cost roughly and what did you need? any tips for someone wanting to do this? i found a nice 07 r6 with side fairing damage with a low low reserve i'm interested in

15. noxxs

noxxs New Member

find both a salvage yard and a forum dedicated to the r6's, or at least a site that has a lot of r6 owners. usually there'll be guys there parting out bikes just like it and will sell you parts cheap so they dont have to deal with ebay or paying for any type of ad. thats how i got most of the expensive parts. you might have to wait a little bit for someone to post them, but it'll be a lot cheaper than buying new. i needed a shit load of parts, but it was best to buy from people who knew exactly what i needed.

16. noxxs

noxxs New Member

fuck, an 07? i didnt even see that, good luck getting stuff as only the 06s are the same model. is it an r6 or an r6s? the r6s's are the same dress as the previous gen i think. dont quote me on that, but i'm pretty sure thats how it goes.

i heard those things scream for a 600.

17. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Yup. I believe they are.

18. monkeymunzey

monkeymunzey Guest

r6s is exactly the same as the previous generation.

19. monkeymunzey

monkeymunzey Guest

ONLY side fairing damage? Any scratches on the frame? Fairings can be had fairly cheap if you look in the right areas.