GUN Finally got my CCW :bowdown:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by niquesuave06, Mar 16, 2009.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

It's about freakin time. I was told to expect all of 90 days for OSBI to send it to my local sheriff's office but it actually only took around 70. . .

Still, it seemed like forever when I'd go to my shop (its cheap, because its located in the ghetto :o) late at night with the gun and mag locked up separately.

I'm still trying to get used to carrying, especially with a round chambered. I know that's really the best way to carry, but having a loaded gun on my hip is going to take a little time to get used to.

I'm currently using a Desantis Mini-Slide (OWB) holster but I'm tall/slim so it seems like I'm always having to pull the back of my shirt down to keep it concealed. Any other style of holster you guys would recommend? Would an IWB be better for me? I'm carrying a PT 24/7 Pro C. The Desantis Mini-Slide is actually made for a USPc but it fits my Taurus perfectly, it was the only holster I could find locally for my gun.

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Whoa, you are skinnier than me (I'm 5'10" 165). Are you comfortable when sitting down in MTAC? Where do you place your MTAC and which holes are you using for your front and rear clips?

3. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

if you are tall and slim ... and your shirt wont cover your weapon ... i think that is a shirt problem :rofl:

a good belt (buy a belt designed for weapon carry, its worth it) will help keep it stable and close to your body and where you want it.

what holster will fit/work for you is completely your opinion. for IWB, most of the time i carry my 21SF in an uncle mikes sleeve ... owb i have another uncle mikes with a thumb break ... ill post pics.

and if you are concerned about carrying with a round chambered ... remember this: Do cops carry with an empty chamber? no. Why? because in the amount of time it takes you to draw, chamber a round, acquire your target, and fire .... you will already be dead.

i always carry chambered.

4. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

look into some training classes

5. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

mine only took a week from the sheriffs department ftw

6. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I'm 6'2" and weigh around 160-165 right now, but over the summer I usually drop to the low 150's. . .plus I'm all legs, so that's why t-shirts are an issue. They either fit me well but occasionally show the bottom of the holster, or they're huge on me and look awkward :o

I'll look into belts for sure, I've definitely noticed some big differences in the comfort and stability of the holster between the few belts that I normally wear. Right now I'm wearing one of the thicker/wider belts that I have and its working great. The gun is secure and I'm wearing a t-shirt without any noticeable printing.

The spare mag holder that clips over my belt/pants is definitely harder to conceal than the gun itself, and its a lot less comfortable. I'm carrying 17+1 with the just the gun. After reading your post, I chambered one and topped off the mag. You're right, there's not really any reason to CC if the gun isn't ready to serve its purpose if the need arises.

I've been opting out of carrying the smaller spare mag (14 round), but I usually keep it atleast accessible in case SHTF. I'm assuming I should probably get used to carrying both mags though, correct? A magazine malfunction would limit me to one round, I suppose :hsd:

7. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

What do you carry? I'll look into MTAC's stuff, I hope they make an IWB for my Taurus :x: I should've saved up and bought a glock (yeah, I said it :wtc: ), I've had a really hard time finding any local stores that have holsters for the PT 24/7 Pro C. And I don't really want to buy one until I can try it, so I'm kinda SOL at the moment.

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The concern you express for carrying a loaded weapon is something you should strive to maintain even as you gain comfort with the responsibility you are encumbering yourself with.

That said, it won't go bang unless the trigger gets pulled. Proper training and holster selection will negate all but the extremely rare mechanical failure induced accidental discharge.

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

No option for PT 24/7 for MTAC...

10. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I'd like to get a G26 eventually, but I don't have the money to spend right now. With some of my more form-fitting t shirts I'm able to conceal the PT without much trouble, I think with an IWB it wouldn't be a problem at all. And I need to go buy some new shirts anyway, I'll just have to force myself to walk around the mall long enough to find some that fit better.

11. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I'm 17+1 right now and things are gonna stay that way (or at least 14+1). I've been convinced :bigthumb:

12. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

After going through basically every holster in stock at a local police supply, I figured out that at least some holsters for the USPc fit the PT 24/7 Pro C really well. They just didn't have a big selection of IWB. I'll probably go check out a couple other shops soon and see if I can find a decent quality IWB that fits the PT well.

That being said, I need to get more range time with both my OWB and whatever IWB I end up getting. It's just a bitch to find any free time during the semester :hs:

13. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Sweet. Got mine in 14 days.

14. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

:o

15. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I hear you on the being nervous about carrying a gun that is chambered and ready to go bang. I'm a big glock fan, but I'm thinking of getting something with a thumb safety just as an added safety measure for concealed carry. I figure that if I practice flipping off the safety as I present the gun (over and over again), that it will become 2nd nature and not a hindrance should I need to defend myself against an immediate threat.

16. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

shop at big and tall for shirts that fit better. you need to be comfortable carrying your weapon ... all aspects of it. if you are constantly worrying about whether or not your shirt if covering your weapon, then your concentration is not where it should be and you are uncomfortable and likely look nervous at some points during your carry ... which can come off the wrong way to people.

when i took my training classes for my CCW, our instructor encouraged us to open carry for a full month (Virginia, its legal to OC without a permit). He did this so we would be 100% used to the reaction we COULD encounter out in public. i have to say, open carrying for that period of time was the best thing i did. If my weapon is showing ... i know it merely based on the reaction and looks i get from people around. i make eye contact, "beautiful day / how are you / get raped lately?" comment and the situation is done and they are more at ease.

its also nice to see what reaction you will get from LEO if they notice your weapon. eye contact always helps, a smile, and spat of small talk ... and knowing what you should and shouldnt do with your arms / hands. DONT put them on your hips! i usually cross my arms in front of me (if my clothing dictates, short sleeves, no coat ... so my ahnds are visible and AWAY from my weapon) or i clasp my hands in front of me (coat, winter time, hands always visible).

One mistake is being worried about someone knowing that you are carrying ... dont be. you have the necessary permits and you are competant. if they know you have a gun they will either stay away, not care, or talk to you about it (i do this most often, notice someone carrying and if i feel compelled, ill start a little chat with them .. tends to put people at ease i think).

onto the carrying with or without a round chambered ... it is completely personal preference. its the same debate as to whether or not you should conceal carry on your person or just keep the gun in the car. ford vs chevy, north vs south, etc etc. personally, i feel that in the event i need to use my weapon, they last thing i need to do is remember to chamber a round. but other feel that a loaded tube is too close to an accident waiting to happen. its personal preference.

as for mags, i carry 1 in the gun (11 in the mag + 1 chambered ... 13 rd mag but i dont top them off because under certain situations i will de-chamber my weapon and i dont need a loose round rattling around in my pocket.) and two full mags on me (12rds in a 13rd mag ... i dont carry 13, im superstitious :o ). if im in my vehicle on a long trip (hour plus) then my spare mags usually go on the outside pocket of my man-purse which is always in the pass. seat (otherwise they stay on my person at all times). the number of mags you carry is again, personal preference. i carry more than most (.45 acp, its not exactly light weight) and less than some ... some carry only the mag in their weapon, a lot of people seem to carry one spare, and some, like myself, carry more. i like to tell myself that one day i will be attacked by no less than 30 zombies ... i cant defeat them all with only 24 rds so i tack on one more mag.

wow ... i really rambled on that one :o