A&P Finally got a Digital Rebel...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by McTool, Jun 28, 2004.

1. McTool

McTool Room 3 :bowdown:

.....anything I should pick up? Most of the pics I'll be take are at car shows and drag racing events at the track.

2. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

You might want to save up for the 70-200 f2.8L IS for the drag racing, maybe the 24-70 or 28-70 f2.8L for the indoor car shows. Of course... those lens cost $$$$.

3. sony

sony Active Member

You don't need IS for the track. IS is good to take pics if you shake a lot and in low light.. but not if your'e taking pics of something that is moving. Theres a slight difference there homie.

4. McTool

the other guy that takes pics for our site has a D70. i just couldn't afford it so I went with the Rebel.

thanks for the info on the gear :bigthumb:

5. McTool

yeah most of the car shows we cover are outdoor shows

6. McTool

also forgot to ask

any certain brands of lens that is better to use or brands I should stay away from?

any reputable places online to get stuff from or places like Ritz or Camera Shop?

7. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Kinda wrong, homie.

While you may not NEED IS for the track, it's not like there's no use for it, it's a handy tool to have. The newer Canon IS lenses have two IS modes, one designed for the situation you describe, i.e. low light where you need to hand hold, but the second mode is specifically for when you are tracking a moving object.

8. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Forget Ritz...they are overpriced and don't seem to have the same level of customer support as other places.

I've heard nothing but good things from Adorama and B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com)

9. McTool

i've also heard good things about B&H as well. i think i may have ordered something from them in the past for one of my other cameras. i'll have to see what they have to offer on their site.

10. robx

robx Guest

should of got a canon g5, it OWNs :bowdown:

11. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well, personally I had pay extra to get the IS because I will use it and benefit from it from time to time. By all means I didn't suggest that IS will help you take better picture or is made for drag racing ...etc.

For fast moving object or to freeze action you need faster shutter speed of course... Which is where the f2.8 comes into play. However it doesn't mean that you wont' benefit from the IS.

The 70-200 f2.8L is a great lens for less if you don't think you gonna use the IS.

12. sony

sony Active Member

Well, you made it sounds like he has to dump a lot of money. There are alternatives.

I've seen the 70-200mm f/2.8L (non IS) for as low as 850-900. The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 as low as 550-600. The 70-200mm f/4L for 500ish.

Yeah, IS is nice, but some people get the f/4 just because its a lot lighter. For the track, apature isn't so much an issue, especially outside and in daytime. You rarely even have the opportunity to shoot f/2.8 unless its way overcast or you're stacking ND filters. A 70-200mm f/4L would be nice for the track. Its light, its sharp, its got the range.

Theres always a lot of options when it comes into lenses. The most epxensive stuff isn't always the most ideal.

13. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

"Big Ed" is your friend (Battery Grip BG-ED3). :)

14. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

Congrats on the Rebel!

I personally don't like the 10x zooms, they tend to be soft anywhere near wide open, or WA. The 70-200 F/4 would probably work great.

I converted a Nikon film guy to the Rebel, and he did so specifically because of the 70-200 f/4. Try one out, or even rent one for the day, and take it to the track to see if it works for you.

15. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

I certainlly agree that f2.8 is rarely used at the track or during most out door events unless you want to control the DOF for some artistic or creative effects.

However I recommand the 70-200 f2.8L IS because of its optical quality and IS. I personally will not buy the Canon 70-200 f2.8L (the non-IS version), although some people seem to believe that the non-IS version is sharper...

I will however consider 70-200 f4, for the money it's a great lens, and especially with DSLR, if you can simply bump up the ISO. I do portraits, so the f2.8 matters to me. (can't really offer a dedicated 85/135mm prime)

OH, and btw, I don't think that you really need the most expensive lens to take good pictures. I got great result from the Sigma 70-300mm APO.

Actually I think the rebel is not a bad choice after all, I got the D70 because I been a Nikon fan and my dad also shoots Nikon. But far as DSLR goes... I think the higher-end Canon is superior, which means that I am likely to switch to Canon in the future.

p.s. I wish that I have vertical/battery grip when I do portraits...

16. McTool

thanks for all the info everyone. i'll look into some of the stuff you suggested