Finally getting a Mac...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I've fought long & hard to hold onto the cash long enough to purchase a G5 and the day has finally come! I can finally dump my burnt-out PIII 500 for a dual 2ghz setup...oh the power. Free of Microsofts chains & headaches.

I plan on skimping on the RAM & HD upgrade so I can purchase them elsewhere cheaper. Has anyone experienced better results with performance, quality & reliability with certain brands? I'd like tho throw in an extra 250-300gb HD and keep the "stock" 160gb as programs/backup and bump the RAM up to 1-1.5gb from the 512 it will come with.

Only thing I'm waiting for now is the 29th when I'm sure to get a system w/Tiger pre-installed.

2. Rick

Rick New Member

I went with Crucial memory as it is the same exact memory that came in my G5. It's quite a bit cheaper to do it yourself. As for HD's I like Maxtor.

3. Skoles

Skoles Guest

What are some "must have" accessories I should look into?

4. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

iPod

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I have a Shuffle. Gets the job done.

6. langer421

langer421 New Member

I just ordered a PB and they told me at apple that they won't be preloading tiger for a few months. I thought it was strange but instead what they're doing is for anyone who buys after april 12th you can get the tiger upgrade for $9. I Would have thought they'd already have a warehouse full of preinstalled tiger PB's but I dunno.

7. Skoles

Skoles Guest

If that's the case, I don't mind having Panther loaded & Tiger on CD as well. I'm going to do a partion anyway so I'll do a fresh install when I get it.

I don't want an upgrade CD that's all.

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

not sure about the hd but leave the 512 in there and get 1gb from crucial. its the same price as apple and you get to keep the 512 that comes with it.

9. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

RAM-wise, I highly recommend Corsair or Crucial memory. They sometimes cost a little more than the bargain basement shit, but in the years I've been dealing with PCs, I've never had a problem with any sticks of their memory. If you don't know exactly the speed, or CAS latency of the RAM you need, Crucial's website is great because you can just pick the computer maker and model and they'll tell you what memory matches what's in the system.

10. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Good to know. Are the rest of you comfortable with Maxtor drives? Because I was all about Maxtor until I had a few of mine start dropping like flies. I've been through a 30gb & 80gb model whereas the 13gb WD that originally came w/my computer 5 years ago still works. I replaced those with a single 160gb WD.

11. Rick

Rick New Member

I've been happy with all my Maxtor drives. Never had a problem.

12. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I use either Maxtor or WD drives. I've had both brands drives last a long time, and had both brands drives die on me. These days, HDDs have become commoditized enough that the MTTR is probably about the same on all their drives.