Finally gave teh UDM a workout

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by cjj92yj, Mar 10, 2008.

1. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

Finally gave it a try. Worked some OP with a cutting pad. I probably got out about 80% of the swirls. Didn't have any heavier pad or compound. I wasn't really thinking they'd be that bad, but they were. Started out on speed "3" to get product spread around, then kicked it up to "5" to really work it in. This sound right?

Still having tendencies to use too much product though. By the time I finished, my pad was caked over pretty good. I'd estimate I only used about 1.5 to 2 ounces of OP. Must be thinking back to working products by hand, because with a hand job (hehehe) it's so much easier to work it if it's slicker (more product). I'll give it a whirl again later on when I get a heavier cutting compound. But for now I'm pretty happy.

Applied a coat of NXT 2.0 after polishing. Used a finishing pad on speed "2" to apply. Man, that stuff is awesome. After I was done applying and was removing it with a MF, I was thinking, "Wow, this stuff is pretty cool." After letting it sit for 10 hours or so, I was like, "WOW, this stuff is freaking amazing!" Super shiny wet look, and the slickness is way up there. Of course, this all could be simply because I've never really been into a super clean car in the past. Now that I see how nice it can be, I'll never have a dirty car again.

Sorry, no pics. Was dark as hell when I finished. I'll snag a few tonight though.

Question: How much product (OP) should I be using? The vehicle I did was a 1999 GMC Envoy.
  2. JRock10

JRock10 New Member

May 25, 2005
    try about 3 pea sized globs on your pad. i get that "caked" pad sometimes, also. I will usually spray some QD on the pad and wipe it off a bit with a terry cloth towel. just trying to pull some of the dirt off the pad.
  3. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

Yeah, I was definitely using too much then. LOL I probably had 6 or 7 pea sized spots. I tried it at 3 or 4 to start out, but it just seemed like it wasn't cutting the swirls until I started putting more on. I guess a better rule of thumb is to change product rather than increase amount?
  4. Scottwax

Scottwax The Detailing EDU is stickied in the Detailing for Moderator

May 5, 2000
    The less you use (to a point), the better Optimum products cut. Kick the UDM up to 6, move 1/2-1" per second with 50% overlapping passes when working in the polish.

I definitely agree about NXT2, really a first rate product. Deep, wet, slick and decent durability. :)