GUN finally finished my gun cabinet

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crazybenf, Oct 16, 2007.

1. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

it's a standard 8 gun sentry (~$100)

I made the shelves out of HDF then covered them in felt. Lights are the battery powered touch LEDs.

It's time to upgrade to a larger one already. :rofl:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

just noticed i need to staple a few more spots on the bottom of the shelves. Sagging felt ftl. :o

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Looks good but where's all the rifles? ;)

4. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Only have 2 currently. I'm in the market for a 12ga right now though. :hsd:

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

link to those lights? I need a light for my stack-on :o

6. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

$9.99 for 3 @ bed bath & beyond. The wife bought them for me. <3 <3 <3

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Baller. Exactly what I wanted to do with it.

8. no7fish

no7fish New Member

YOu know it's not usually recommended to store ammo in a safe. In the event of a fire it will basically turn the thing into a very large bomb... Not such a big thing with a pressed steel cab I suppose but a proper safe can cause a lot of damage if all the stuff in there get hot. It poses quite a hazard to the fire personnel who are trying to save your junk.

Looks good though!

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

sounds like i need to make an order...

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I would love to see any evidence of what you are talking about.

11. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

where do you recommend storing it? In plain sight where fire can more easily get to it?

12. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I can't actually produce any evidence but it's not a strange new idea. I have heard it from many sources and I don't see why it would be at all unrealistic. You have a propellant and a very strong container. Same way terrorists throw improvised explosive charges in a pressure-cooker for an easy bomb.

I wouldn't mind seeing a blown apart safe myself, but I haven't, I don't think many of them actually get set fire to...

13. Willie J

Willie J New Member

i love seeing a well organized cabinet. good job

14. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

while I have heard of ammo cooking off, i have NEVER heard of a safe turning into a bomb like that. In fact, ammo cooking off isn't even especially dangerous, since there is no barrel for it to acquire velocity. It basically is a firecracker :dunno:

15. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

This case looks pretty cool. How difficult was the customization?? Did it take long?

16. Furner

Furner New Member

the bullet just pops off. it may be in there pretty good, but it pops out before any significant pressure builds up.

17. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I have about 45 minutes in it.. cut the hdf to size (guess on the first one, then dupe it)

Grab a staple gun, grab some felt, go to town.

Drill some holes, screw them in.. Hardest part was drilling blind and hoping the angle wasn't fucked off.

It's going to do the job until I get my dream vault. :hs:

18. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

looks nice but no real theft protection. :hs:

19. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Thanks guys, I realize that the bullet is going to pop out the end of the cartridge or the case will split :uh: but that's not what I'm talking about. If you have any amount of ammunition in a confined space (ie, a safe) all the pressure has to go somewhere once it is released from the cartridge. It's not like safes are vented or anything, in fact a lot of them have a seal. What do you think will happen in a sealed steel box once the pressure of a couple hundred rounds is released into it??

Maybe it hasn't happened, but it is plausible enough for me to want to see evidence that it WON'T happen before I'll store more than a mag or 2 in my safe.... :dunno:

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You also have no seal to allow pressure to build. Gun safes don't have gaskets around the doors (at least the ones I've seen) and they have holes knocked in them to allow a power cord to be run though to feed a dehumidifier. Ammo cans are well sealed and might allow pressure to build but you're just not going to see that with a safe. besides it wont be too long until the ammo has to come out so he can put more guns in :big grin:

21. Furner

Furner New Member

if it was a concern they would probably warn you on the ammo package anyways.
    the safe will melt down before the powder ignites anyways. and anyone who is close enough to be effected will be fucked because of the fire anyways.

22. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

Plus, no other part of your house is fireproof (for a while) so it's obviously the safest place for ammo...until more guns take it's place, of course.

23. no7fish

no7fish New Member

meh... I'll still keep mine out thanks. I know the cabinets have holes and so on but every actual safe I've ever seen has a strip that actualy expands to form a good solid seal in the event of a fire.

It's not the powder that's in question, it's the primer. I'm pretty sure that a few of them going off would be enough to set some of the others off and so on. And a fireman wouldn't need to be all that close to be hit by some gunsafe shrapnel. Odds are it would just bend something and vent but who knows, I'm not going to be the one to test it, you are talking about something specifically designed to withstand bending, splitting, and having holes broken into it.

24. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

not really. the bullet which weighs more than the casing will stay relatively immobile while the casing which weight less will be the thing that actually flies.

25. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

wait, you think storing 20 round of ammo in safe would, if they even ignited, cause enough pressure to build up in a safe to create a hazard. :hsugh: