Finally built my new system - *PICS*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Just built this a couple days ago for HL2. It was the first system i have built by myself from scratch. After a day or so of setting up the bios and getting all the little bugs out of it, its running smoothly (knock on wood) and ready for Nov. 15th. Heres the specs:

-AMD Athlon 64-Bit 3000+
    -WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache HD
    -1g Mushkin DDR 3200 RAM
    -Gigabyte K8 Triton Motherboard w/ Nforce 3
    -ThermalTake Xaser Edition 480W Power Supply w/ Dual fan controls
    -Nvidia GForce FX 5700 Ultra 8X AGP Graphics Card (Transfered it from my old computer)
    -Asus 52X CD-Rom w/ Quitrack Technology
    -Sony CD Burner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  2. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

would be easier to post the pics, dont feel like subscribing to look at them....

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

aye... reg for pix isn't cool.

is that WD a JB or JD?

4. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

couple more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Where's the SATA? :hs:

6. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

not bad. i can't stand having a computer IN a desk though. makes it lots of fun to open when you have to disconnect the cables and pull it out.

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

needs more SuSE :hsugh:

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sorry, it makes me sad to see an amd64 in a cheap case :(

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

im not into all that lights and crap, it looks more anoying than it does cool. So i just bought a case that works, why does the case matter? it just sits there, not like it has any effect on how the computer runs.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

has a large effect on how the system dissipates heat. Also has a large effect on function of the system.

You don't have to have all the lights to have a nice case. LianLi 6070, for example. Or Silverstone TJ04. Both very elegant designs.

Kinda like putting an LS1 in a pinto... yeah, it'll get you from point a to point b... but....

And did you clean up your wiring when you finished? There were no pix of it. Functionally it can open up airflow (very important) but secondly it's a sign of appreciation and respect... I see a lot of systems in the shop that look abused -- they have poor cable jobs. But the ones with good cable jobs are always in great shape... It's a subtle thing...

Kinda like when looking at cars -- if the owner didn't take care of the outside, it's a good chance he didn't take care under the hood.

11. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Lian Li PC60 :love:

12. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ya i did zip tie my wiring and clean it up, i still dont understand your case theory, the case has 6 fans in it, what more do you need? 8 fans? i mean it really does not make a difference, it has just as many fan slots as a case 50 dollars more.

13. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

and after playing DOOM 3 for 30 min. my CPU is running at a nice and cool 31 Degrees thankyou very much

14. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

WD HD is SATA, AMD is Socket 754, RAM is DDR400 ....I had to keep this system in a reasonable budget, but i think for the price its not a bad setup.

15. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd:

16. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Why? Let's forget about the technical part of things, and the fact that SuSE is native 64 bit.

How will he benefit from using SUsE over Windows?

Will it provide more feature?
    Will he need those additional features?
    Will it enhance his productivity or hinder?
    Will it provide performance enhance? If so will it be noticable?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my dual monitor SuSE workstation as much as my Windows box, but of course my workstation serves a different purpose. I think every linux advocate should always ask ourselve why people should switch to Linux? At this point, I think it is really sad that Linux can't embrace the end user in the near future. For various reasons, one of which is the legal system (DMCA & patents). If we can't create something easy to install, easy to use, then well it's not going to be accepted even if the software is cheaper. The reduced productivity alone offsets the cost.

Compatibility issue being another of course. Both in terms of file formats, and hardware device drivers.

17. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Good post SL, ive always stuck with Windows because its easy to use, ive been using it for 10 years, and im accustomed to it and how it runs. Also with everything being compatable is another positive. The new Windows system will be 64 bit and isnt that due out next year?

18. Penguin Man

SuSE is doing an excellent job of providing a usable desktop Linux system, and from what I hear Ubuntu is also very good for the desktop user. SuSE is actually as easy if not easier to install than XP is, and the configuration is no harder, just a little different. The average Windows user that can do basic tasks on a Windows machine wouldn't have too much trouble switching to a SuSE desktop. Compatibility is not an issue at all in my experience (and I've been using Linux as my primary OS for five or six years now - I've never even owned a Windows machine). File formats are a complete non-issue as there are converters for all the file formats that people commonly use (OpenOffice handles MS Office documents quite nicely, Adobe makes a PDF viewer for Linux that's better than the Windows version, the GIMP can edit anything PhotoShop can edit). For hardware, even if the manufacturer doesn't provide a Linux driver (although many now do), chances are there's a free one available before the product even becomes popular. For a long time I chose to use the free driver for my video card rather than the official nVidia one simply because the free one was better. I still use the free driver for my nForce audio because it works better than the one nVidia provides and it came with SuSE so there's no setup involved.

Now, I'm an experienced user, however I hate setting things up. Absolutely hate it. I'm not a fucking sysadmin, and I hate doing sysadmin-type things. I've always had more trouble setting things up in Windows than I have in SuSE. In my mind the only thing that should hold anyone back from at least giving a good desktop Linux distro like SuSE or Ubuntu a try is the lack of games, and even now, there are some popular games available for Linux (UT2004 and Doom3 being some notable ones).

19. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well actually to give SUsE a try, one either has to figure out how to get around the ftp install, or settle for the rather limited personal edition. Now, how would you watch DVD on your Linux box, legally? I don't think there's a legal decoder out yet isn't there?

Besides that, most average windows user can't even install windows themselves... That is your average users. Therefore, I guess to give them incentive to try out linux, something like Knoppix is more viable.

It's cool that you are M$ free for years. :bowdown: While I personally enjoy hacking around configurations, sometimes I simply don't have the time to do so, and need to get things working. For example the 7 button mouse with 2 thumb buttons like my M$ explorer, Logitech MX700. It just works with Windows, not the case with SuSE. So, there are few things that they can always improve on. Setting up dual minitor is another classic example. The utility provided with SuSE doesn't work. Therefore, one has to manually edit the xconfig file. It's okay for me, but NOT okay for your AVERAGE users...

So, I still believe that Linux is a viable alternative to M$, if you are willing to work around some of the problems that you might have. Time along is money, not a lot people feel that hacking around machines are fun.

20. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Yes, hopefully by then... Keep in mind that you are likely gonna run into some little issues with compatibility, drivers, and wut not initially. I don't have that much faith in M$ as far as getting it right the first time.

Juse so you know that SuSE is extremely easy to use, if you have the full version CD/DVD, then relatively easy to install as well.

Xandros is another awesome distro, but like SuSE, they dont' provide full edition downloads. Don't really like the politics behind thier products. Lycoris is another example of that.

Aside from those 3, Mandrake is easy to use as well. Usually, different distro got a slightly different look by default (which you can change later on). Other than that, just get use to the slightly different interface, and you should be good.

Give knoppix a try, it's a bootable CD that you can just run it off the disc and restart your computer, and go back to windows again.

21. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

look what i've done :o

22. MP

MP New Member

:rofl:

23. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

look pretty good :wavey:

24. Penguin Man

I watch DVDs using a program called OGLE that uses a couple other programs on the backend. Works great. No idea about the legality of it, but to be honest I don't really care ;)

As for the mouse issue, I have an MX510, and all my buttons work. In fact, I can even assign a different task to each button in each different application, which from what I've seen it isn't possible to do in Windows. It took a little bit of tinkering with the XF86Config file to get it working nicely, but it was pretty easy. I also have dual monitors setup and they work great. This took almost no tinkering at all, in fact once you install the official nVidia graphics card drivers, you can even set it up through the GUI. Support for ATI graphics cards is a little behind, however, so it's harder with an ATI card than with an nVidia card. Yes, these things are still a little tougher to setup than they should be, but they can be done at least and they're getting easier.

The SuSE FTP install is pretty easy, just download the 30MB installer, burn it to CD, boot up, put in the server information and it should go right into the graphical installer. Once it's installed, it works pretty nicely right out of the box.

BTW, I'm 18 and I've been using Linux since about 1998, so doing the math that would make me about 12 when I started. Although I had done web design and some programming and such before, I had never used anything but Macs at home and Windows machines at school, so I was no expert user. It was a bit of a learning curve, but not too bad. I think today, with the nice graphical configuration tools and everything, learning to use Linux isn't really any harder than learning to use Windows.

25. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Please do consider yourself an avid linux user. Most users are NOT like you. I just got home after a meeting with a client. Part of what we do is build a GUI for him, the scientific computation is done in research cluster, database is provided by the dept, which is another set up management. This client doesn't even know if he wants the client on *nix platform, or Windows. He doesn't really know the difference either, but that's the reality, most people are like that.

Please understand that they are not dumb, it's just that they don't know much about computers, and don't have the time to learn. Frankly he shouldn't, his time is better spent on astrophysic stuff.

Speaking of which, writing GUI for linux can be a bitch... Imagine trying to decide on which graphic package to use... (QT? GTK?)... Trust me, there are good reasons why Linux is not as popular as I had liked, and perhaps you had liked.