Finally, after 2 months...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by El Slotho, Feb 28, 2003.

1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

I already miss my ERT UDP. :bigcry:

[​IMG]

However that was the past, this is the future.

For those that don't know, my car has been gone for the past two months for necessary CPO work. Right before Christmas I went to shut the car off, pulled out the key, and the car kept running. I then packed it up and towed it off to my dealer with a list of things that needed fixing before the CPO ran out, and went off on my vacation.

When I got back from Florida (see the DTM feature), there was a message on my voicemail that the transmission was going to be replaced gratis under the CPO along with all of the things I had listed. However it seemed I needed a new clutch. Badly. :evil:

[​IMG]

Pretty burned. Enter the Active Autowerke clutch kit and LTW flywheel, which necessitated the removal of my European Racing Technologies double-belt underdrive pulley, something which had given me 45,000 miles of raw TQ and decent HP. Since the tranny was out, the labor for the install was nil, so I had to capitalize.

While it was at the dealer, some other necessary services took place. New thermostat, Inspection II, and these little babies were swapped out for a fresh pair. Anyone want to guess what they are? Suffice to say I have a lot less shake in the tail now on a hard upshift. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the absolute coolness of my dealer, Tulley BMW, comes in. About a week before my car was finally ready, I receive this PM from the tech who is working on my car, claiming to have removed the "clutch pussifier" (©) from the car. His explanation:

Today, when surfing another forum and giving advice to a soon-to-be E39 owner, I saw this, which is the exact piece that was removed from my car, albeit on an E39. The picture is a link to the site itself (thanks Wagz! :big grin: ):

[​IMG]

"Pussifier" indeed. The proper name for this is the Clutch Delay Valve.

Impressions

I only have about an hour worth of seat time, but a few differences make themselves immediately apparent. A noticeable amount of my instantaneous, snappy torque is gone with the ERT UDP. In fact, the power delivery is different enough to feel like a different car - the power is smooth, and constantly builds to redline. Before, it felt like the torque was overtaken by the building horsepower as it dropped off higher in the RPM range, but now the power is smooth, and constantly builds to redline. Gone are the hiccups, the flat spots, and a good amount of the other high-RPM power quirks my car was experiencing in its previously weakened condition.

Let's talk about the Active Autowerke clutch kit and LTW flywheel. I cannot believe how much grip this thing has. I have to admit, I dropped the clutch at redline just to see what would happen and the tires instantly lit up for the second that I held the gear. When my OEM clutch was new, it just wouldn't do this. It would glaze before it would ever grab at that high an RPM! Believe me, I know, I watched a friend of mine do it to my car about two years ago after he begged me to let him drive it. The takeup is also different from stock, right off the floor instead of towards the end of the release, and upshifts are pure heaven. Clutch engagement is instant and immediate, instead of the slight softness of the system with the Pussifier©, and the AA kit handles my wuss-ass NA power with ease. :big grin:

That's about it for now. I need to go out for a cruise and form a few more lasting impressions. :evil:

Thanks to Lou (BMC) for helping me put the parts needed together while I was on the cruise, Kevin and Kevin from Tulley, and the rest of the Tulley BMW techs for just being a group of cool guys. I should also thank Rob Levinson from UUC, who was ready to go out of his way to help me when I hit a potential snag.

[​IMG]

2. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I :love: your posts :o

3. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

:bigthumb: :bowdown:
    What about the "other" stuff?

4. wnut

wnut Guest

awesome!

u got ur dealer in check =)

5. M4A1

M4A1 :)

interesting posts as usual :big grin:

6. El Slotho

My dealer is just plain awesome.

I was invited out by the master techs and my service advisor to Harry's Ho Haven last night. While I am not usually a big patron of strip clubs, I went because it was the smart thing to do and ended up finding two of my friends, also with M3s in much higher modifcation states than mine, and we got busy on the drive home. Here's an except from what I wrote on another forum:

Thanks guys! I'm going back out for a rip. :big grin:

7. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

You lucky lil bastard ;)

Glad to know your dealership's treating you right, and that you're having fun.

8. El Slotho

Thanks!

Vid from tonight. :big grin:

Quick Clip (3 MB)

9. someguy

someguy WWMD?

Subframe mounts?

10. El Slotho

Rear toe arm bushings. Shot to shit. :big grin:

11. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

I'm bloody impressed that your engine can take the beating you give it, and come back for more. Have ya any problems with the engine?

Makes me a whole lot more confident when it comes to driving my new car fast this summer.

///edit - where do you host your video files, and with what do you edit 'em?

12. El Slotho

81,000 miles and no engine problems whatsoever *knock on wood* - but anyone will tell you that the S52 M3 engine is bulletproof, as long as it is well taken care of with preventative maintenence.

I use my ISP to host them, and I capture the video in Premier and use VideoWave for a quick edit.

13. El Slotho

New Video 11.5 MB

Last quick vid, taken last night before the roads got too slippery as the temp dropped.

14. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

It's super-slippery here today, coming around a couple of the corners was pretty interesting to say the least...

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Did you replace the RTABs with stock? :happysad:

I think I am going to go Powerflex.

I notice you removed your wheels :o before you took it in.

ERT does not make that pulley any more, do they? I understand there were a ton of problems with them. Did you ever have any? UUC is making a compelling set right now at $185 :o that I might have to look into.

Oh, and :bigthumb:

16. El Slotho

The new RTABs are totally stock. The dealer gave me a great deal on their replacement - $200, and it is usually a $500 job.

I did some checking, and ERT does sell my UDP still, but they are on closeout for $195 down from their original price of $350. My version, the "double belt" version that incorporates the AC pulley, has not had a history of problems but their original single belt pulley did. It kept slipping belts, as the OEM AC pulley had to be nested inside the ERT which did not work very well. Mine has over 45,000 trouble-free miles, never gave me anything but HP and TQ throughout the entire powerband, and I miss its low-end power, especially when cruising in 5th. :(

Oh, and I was at Turner today. He still has that insane SC'd 95 on Fikses...man I love that car!

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

SHHHHH.

I don't want to hear that.

My wife is talking about a new house already.

18. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

Pics??

19. El Slotho

Sure, but they stink on ice..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car has cams, an SC, and - get this - a 3.64 diff. According to Will, the thing is violently fast.

Oh, and my stock diff was totally housed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]