A&P Filter effect on the UK/BBC's Top Gear TV Show...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Logik, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Logik

Logik Livin la vida broka

Does anyone know what lens/filter they use during the show? It makes the grass really green.. the sky.. kinda a brown hue. If you've seen a newer episode then you know what im talking about. Any help is appreciated. TIA

This is a sample of the effect the filter gives off...

[​IMG]

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Most likely they use a graduated ND (neutral density) filter. This is a filter that is dark on one half, fading to clear on the other half. It's used to darken the sky but it won't have any effect on color nor will it affect the bottom of the frame. Typically, a colorist will alter and enhance the colors in a film or video after it's been edited. Cinematographers and videographers today don't want to mess with altering the colors during the shoot. It's easier to make the effects in post production, plus you can always try different things and go back to the original if you don't like the results.

3. donnyhall

donnyhall Guest

its a vfx they apply in post. an nd filter is typicly used in bright situations and would never be used on overcast days. but what do i know... im a multimedia producer.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Not true. I use a grad filter on a lot of overcast days. Cloudy days make for some boring skies and the grad filter, combined with a sunset grad, can really make the shot look great. But what do I know... I'm a professional cinematographer.

5. Logik

Logik Livin la vida broka

i'll see if i can make a clip of one of the scenes just to be sure.

any idea how i can 'copy' this effect on my photos? :)