Film Viewing Thread: Recommendations, What you just watched, etc.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Buster Bluth, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Buster Bluth

Buster Bluth New Member

Gonna kick off this thread for film crew. I think this will be a good way to pick up some recommendations and keep track of what we are watching. I can't say I view this sub-forum all that much, but at least this thread won't get pruned. I'll base all my reviews out of 10. For instance: Slumdog Millionaire I'd say 8/10. You can do any format you'd like. Obviously, I'm not going to do write-ups for films that most people have probably seen. I will just mention that I watched them.

First up: Citizen Ruth (1996) Directed by Alexander Payne (Election, About Schmidt, Sideways) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115906/

I've been a fan of Payne's since first seeing Election. He's a director who is very consistent and arguably one of the better auteurs of late. Credited with being co-writer on his four features, his first three features centered around characters which were seemingly pulled from his hometown of Omaha (Warren Schmidt (Jack Nicholson) worked for Mutual of Omaha in the film). His most recent critical and commercial success, Sideways, was about wine snobs and strayed a bit from his customary populist characters quite a bit.

[Spoilers in this review]

Don't flame too much, I have never really written reviews and I also watched this over a week ago.

Citizen Ruth, Payne's feature debut is a simple story at heart. Ruth Stoops, played impeccably by the strangely alluring Laura Dern, is a deadbeat, drug addict mother. We are introduced to Ruth having sex with a guy in a dilapidated building, which also presumably serves as a her drug den. The guy that Ruth is having sex with kicks her out and she finds herself on the street. Ruth gets her fix in the form of a can of spray paint. We watch her gruesomely inhale and pass out. She is a woken up by an officer who is clearly familiar with her situation. Ruth is processed and brought in front of a judge. He was informed that she is pregnant and proceeds to tell her that if she gets an abortion he will release her.

This is the crux of the story. A group of pro-life women catch wind of this and bail her out with the intention of using her as a symbol of the abortionists. Eventually the pro-choice groups become aware of Ruth's status as captive of the pro-life people and try to rescue her. The remainder of the film details the back and forth volleying of the two sides using Ruth as a symbol of their prospective movements.

The film is a smart, satirical look at the abortion topic. Payne doesn't hold anything back from both sides. The two women who represent the pro-choice side are lesbians and seemingly would never even been in the situation to make a decision regarding a fetus. Strong performances are given by Kurtwood Smith (better known by many as Red Foreman on That 70's Show) Mary Kay Place (seen in many films in similar roles as small town mother) Burt Reynolds (surprisingly good in a very small role as the head of a Pro-Life movement) and another surprise Kelly Preston (I never realized how sexy she is.

The ending sums up the film very nicely. Ruth was just another symbol and no one really even cared about her. Even though they all tried their best to make her think so. Payne does a great just skewering both sides and I would be hard pressed to find out from this film what views Payne holds on the issue.

Citizen Ruth isn't going to ever be mentioned in any great movie list but isn't a waste of time. It's a strong debut from a very solid director and worth a watching if you enjoyed any of Payne's other films.

Sidenote: Laura Dern is very awkward and weird in so many of her roles but I find her strangely attractive even in this role.

7/10

Charlie Bartlett:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423977/

Since I almost hated this film i'll give a very brief summary.

Imagine a movie that combined of Rushmore, The New Guy any other movie about the high school and experience and you'll get Charlie Bartlett. Robert Downey Jr. plays a drunk (a stretch for him) principal whose daughter becomes entangled romantically with the main character (don't worry it gets way more cliche than that). Charlie Bartlett, is a prep school wunderkind who manages to get kicked out of every school he's ever been in. His dream is to become the hero of the school. Along the way, he gets beat up by the school bully, then befriends him, gives all the student therapy in the school bathroom, becomes the hero of everyone and gets arrested. The only reason I rented this was because it came up as a recommendation from one of those sites that give them. (Believe it was Jinni). I can't say enough how horrible this movie is. There is no style, originality to this film. If you are a 15 year old girl you would probably enjoy this movie. Otherwise, I can't think of any reason to watch it.

3/10

Remarkably, this gets a 7.2/10 on IMDB.

If you're looking for a Robert Downey Jr vehicle that is a pretty good flick check out Kiss Kiss Bang Bang http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373469/

Upcoming viewings include:

The Devil's Backbone http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256009/
    A Christmas Tale http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993789/
    Frozen River http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0978759/
    The Class http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1068646/

2. Meat Popsicle

Meat Popsicle What's that smell? OT Supporter

Haven't watched anything really GOOD lately with the exception of District 9.

I've been spending my time going through Louis Theroux documentaries. I'm addicted to them now. Something about him and his ability to talk to people and get them to talk is amazing. At any rate.

On my to-watch list are:

The Devil's Backbone http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256009/
    The Class http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1068646/
    Dead Man's Shoes http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/
    District B13 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414852/

And some other's I'm probably forgetting. :o

3. vcm

vcm Guest

4. Buster Bluth

Buster Bluth New Member

Word. I've watched his Philadelphia one and the Vegas one. Both were top notch. I am watching his and also Ken Burns The War which is pretty great.

5. Buster Bluth

Buster Bluth New Member

6. Sphygmo

Sphygmo OT Supporter

7. B-Line

B-Line *****d[-_-]b***** OT Supporter

Last great movie I saw was Moon.

Directed by David Bowies son. Starring Sam Rockwell. And written by Alan Parkers son (The guy who directed, Pink Floyd The Wall.)

*Sam Rockwell in a fantastic performance..

Basic story: Future - Guy works on the moon, alone and has a 3 year contract to harvest Helium 3. Two weeks left on his contract but shit's starting to get crazy.
    --- Don't want to give away much more than that.

Overall, a great movie.. Thoroughly entertained and enjoyed it even though I have some strong critical criticism of the film dealing with some of the ways the director chose to explore or ignore "The Rules" of sci-fi, storytelling.

I don't want to get into the details until some other film crew have seen it... but we can open up the discussion then.

I think for the limited budget they had, $5 Mil. The concept, the ideas and the performances, Moon was a win, win.

Sorry if post is a little incoherent.. Just got home Vegas and car barely think, let alone type.

8. cbs_24

cbs_24 OT Supporter

I've heard really good things about Moon.

9. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I just watched Funny People.

Thought it sucked, everything sucked, and it was way too fucking long too.

Case of trying-way-too-hard.

Plus I don't think I like Seth Rogan much and I especially hate the fat kid he's usually with.

10. Dr Mabuse

Dr Mabuse New Member

I have very recently watched:

'The Friends of Eddie Coyle' - a fantastic example of 70's film making at it's best, directed by Peter Yates. Criterion has done the world the favour of releasing this and it's excellent. Yes Quentin titled his movie 'Jackie Brown'(based on Elmore Leonard's 'Rum Punch') after the name of the gun runner from this film as he's a huge fan of the movie himself. One of the best performances of Robert Mitchum's career here.

'Le Deuxieme Souffle' - A masterpiece from one of my favorite directors: Jean Pierre Melville. This movie is beyond excellent, which is par for Melville in film noir. Criterion has the definitive release.

"The New World - Extended Cut' - Terence Malick's incredible film made into more of a director's cut with a considerably longer run time. It was even better than the original. Malick is a modern master director.

'The Warlords' - Largest epic film ever made in China. Lives up to everything I expected. Excellent film here.

11. CSG1986

CSG1986 New Member

I just watched Little miss sunshine. I haven't watched it in a while. It's not the funniest movie ive seen but it sure made me laugh for most of it. The ending is great. I give it a 8/10.

12. Nikkerz

Nikkerz New Member

well, that's fucked up.

Saw Nine yesterday, and Star Trek & Public Enemies over the weekend

13. Nikkerz

Nikkerz New Member

double post

14. ApathyAsylum

ApathyAsylum OT Supporter

just watched Sleuth (2007 version). great example of how awesome Jude Law can be

15. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

house of the devil. that shit was off the fucking chain.

16. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

anybody seen Hachiko: A dog's story with Richard Gere? fucking awesome movie :bowdown:

17. edward_cullen

edward_cullen Unemployed Since 08

Session 9

The last time I watched this movie, I was only a teen, not able to fully understand the underlying concepts and story line of the movie, so I decided to give it a second viewing. All I have to say is "Wow", this one of the most intense deep seeded psychological mind teasers of all time, suspenseful, thrilling, fulfilling, and straight up spine tingling chilling. A++++

18. Myke108

Myke108 OT Supporter

Just watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog...love that short film

19. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

I've been tempted to watch it.

20. Nikkerz

Nikkerz New Member

watching Moon

21. Paraprakrti

Paraprakrti New Member

Yeah. Watched it a couple days ago with my mom. we both liked it.

Speaking of family oriented movies, you really should check out Like Stars on Earth (Taare Zameen Par): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986264/

22. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

you should man. it's definitely a brilliant throwback to 80s horror cinema.