A&P Film SLR v. Digital non SLR. Advantages?Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Mippity, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I plan to go to Argentina to study for a year in June and I want to be able to
    transmit photos easily back to the states.I might be submitting stories occasionaly to my school newspaper w/pictures.

Right now I have a Nikon FM-10 fully manual SLR that I am competent with.

It takes great pictures but I hate having to set everything up manually because it takes so long.It isn't digital either, so I would have to buy a scanner to send anything back to the states.I don't use it as often as I would like because it is so bulky too.

I'm wondering if I should sell the FM10 and get a little 5-7 mp digital camera.
    I'm not really interested in getting a digital SLR because such a large camera discourages me from going out and taking pictures because I have to tote it around with me.A digital SLR is well out of my price range too.

Could a little camera such as the optio 70d or olympus c7000 take photos comprable to the ones my fm-10 takes?I'm wondering what kind of limitations I will be facing.

Any recommendations on digital cameras?
    I really want something pocket sized with a nice zoom that takes good photos.
    I'm really unfamiliar with the advantages of and SLR over a point and shoot camera.

and if it is worth anything, here are some of the better pictures I have taken with my fm10. I don't do anything too fancy. http://www.geilfuss.com/fotografia/index.htm

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  2. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Canon's PowerShot point an shoot camera's have quite a few manual settings, so you have a lil bit of both worlds all in a point and shoot. I'd go with something like that possibly.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

something like a Canon G6 will do everything your slr can do except change lenses, but there are add on lenses available.

you'll need lots of memory or a labtop or a portable hard drive (wolverine makes one with a 6 in 1 reader for $150 at outpost), make sure you can charge your battery (voltage regulations)